Does a Maryland trust actually have be notarized?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • supdog

Mar 28, 2015
    In Maryland, the law is that the paperwork for revocable trusts must be signed in a "legally recognized" manner. I am not a lawyer, but from what I've read online the standard opinion seems to be that notarization is not required for Maryland trusts. I have a bunch of family members and a ton of single shot trusts, and it would be a pain in the ass to go down to the notary for every family member and every single shot trust. (Not to mention the price would add up quickly.)

So it would be great if we could get them added onto my trusts just by signing the documents with a witness, without needing a notary. From everything I can see, the letter of Maryland's law suggests that that's fine. But I want to make sure I'm on solid legal footing.

Anyone have any insight into Maryland's laws on this stuff?

supdog

Mar 28, 2015
    Off-the-shelf trusts do have a spot for a notary's seal, because most states' laws require notarization of trusts, and most trusts are written pretty generically so that the one product can be sold in all 50 states. But I'm just trying to get to the bottom of whether the Maryland-specific case (where the law does not require notarization) means that the trust does not in fact need to be notified.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Nearly every bank has a notary, and they'll frequently do it for free. They want your banking business, and this is a goodwill gesture for them. I have three banks near me that are all happy to do it and never asked for a fee.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Nearly every bank has a notary, and they'll frequently do it for free. They want your banking business, and this is a goodwill gesture for them. I have three banks near me that are all happy to do it and never asked for a fee.
    I have never had an issue with free notary service from any of the banks with which I hold an account. My trusts are all notarized.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    The original document definitely should be notorized. I don't see a space on my trust for a notary seal on the additional persons pages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom