• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    This is a little (lot) off topic but hope no one gets mad about non gun related things on MDS. Just remember that I am new :rolleye12.

Does anyone have a coal stove for heat in their homes? If you do could you share where you get your coal, experience with the coal and dealer, prices, how much do you get, and how do you store it.?.

I deal with Duvall's they are very nice people to deal with and they were the first recommended to me. I have had good experience burning it, they use Blaschak which is rated top notch. They are at the top side of price at $250 a ton for loose bulk, but I only buy a 1/2 ton at a time because I only have a half ton truck at $125. They do not up the price for less unless you buy bagged. I store it in a 4'x4'x4' open top plastic pallet style shipping container which can hold 1.5 tons of loose nut coal.

Thanks for sharing!

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    This is our first year with a coal stove and are waiting on the installation of a Harman TLC2000. We got coal at the Dover Tractor Supply for $237 a ton (Kimmel nut coal) but I have also checked on Mr.Mulch in Middletown (http://mrmulchdelaware.com/Coal.php) as well as Benjamin Lumber & Fuel in North East (http://benjaminlumber.net/heating-services.html) which are closer to you. Further to the west in Baltimore county is Ellison Trucking (http://www.elligsontrucking.com/)

I am using bagged coal for the convenience and store it on pallets in the garage (for now)

Further south is Holt Haines in Federalsburg but haul fee might overcome any savings.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I have a Harman Mark III.

Love it. I bought coal last year from Duvalls, but only a 1/4 ton. Rest of the season I bought from Benjamin Hardware in North East because I found it easier to deal with ten 5 gallon buckets at a time rather than a mess of it in my truck bed.

This year I bought 6 tons in bulk delivery from Ben Reese up in Quarryville. Very good coal, low/white ash, no strong sulfur smell. I have space for it under a large covered area I have at my shop, I stored 3 tons in large "super" sacks, then had them chute the remaining 3 tons or so onto the pad, up under a staircase.

$225 a ton delivered.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I have a Hitzer 983 insert. After I got the learning curve under my belt it has been a great heater. I went to Benjamin's in Northeast about a month ago and they told me 255 a ton. I didn't try them because I have seen some complaints that if you get large bulk it will be a dirty load. I also called Ben Reese and he would not sell less then 6 ton at a time delivered which I understand the reason fully, but I do not have the storage for that much at one time. 6 tons would last me 3 years too lol. I will have to give MR. Mulch a call and see what their prices are.

Thanks for sharing Seagrave and PJ.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    :)I remember by grandmother heating her home with a pot belly stove in the basement. I wonder how many tons she used :)

I also remember the coal truck coming to my elementary school in Towson.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I was torn 2 years ago between the Harmon's and the Hitzer's. I went with the Hitzer because part of the family is in Lancaster and they have parts there if needed and it is just down right built like a tank. When installed there were three guys and one of the poor guys blew his back out and had to be taken directly to the hospital. I felt horrible and ended up helping them out to get it into place.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Those pot belly ones are cool looking. Not sure how efficient they are but they are neat. I know when you talk tons it sounds like a lot, but my 983 can hold about 40lbs at a time and after the upper part of my house is up to temp., walking around in your skivvies and tee shirt when it is about 10 degrees out on low setting the 40lbs. will last about 35-45 hours.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I have a Hitzer 983 insert. After I got the learning curve under my belt it has been a great heater. I went to Benjamin's in Northeast about a month ago and they told me 255 a ton. I didn't try them because I have seen some complaints that if you get large bulk it will be a dirty load. I also called Ben Reese and he would not sell less then 6 ton at a time delivered which I understand the reason fully, but I do not have the storage for that much at one time. 6 tons would last me 3 years too lol. I will have to give MR. Mulch a call and see what their prices are.

Thanks for sharing Seagrave and PJ.

Just looked that model up........... what might that cost installed? Can it burn wood? Does coal clog a chimney like wood does?

Dec 31, 2012
    :)I remember by grandmother heating her home with a pot belly stove in the basement. I wonder how many tons she used :)

I also remember the coal truck coming to my elementary school in Towson.

Had pot belly's at the grandparents' and later the parent's house. Brother and I would walk the railroad tracks collecting coal that had fallen off the cars heading to the power plants.

You asked where to get coal...enjoy ;)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Coal creates zero creosote. Coal stoves that burn wood and vice versa rarely do either very well from what I read.

NEPA Crossroads is an awesome forum. I had a long time member on there fabricate a brand new custom ash pan for mine this fall.

Great group of guys.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    BlackBart I bought it in Wilmington De. at Woodstoves and More. If I remember correctly it was $2200 to $2300. I had to pay a little extra above that because I had to have Hitzer build me a custom surround because my fireplace opening was so large. On the shipping papers it says it can not burn wood, but that is due to the amount of emmisions it puts off, because there is no cat or secondary burn for epa regs.. It can burn wood and I do also in it. You also start the coal off of a hot wood fire. It does not clog the chimney up with creosote. I have noticed that after I burn wood in it and switch to coal it cleans the internals from all the char marks the wood left behind. Trust me when I tell you there is a learning curve. I got frustrated and even asked myself what did I waste my money on. I went back to the dealer and he printed off a paper to follow and after that never looked back.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I do some blasting work for Woodstoves and more on occasion. They bring some very very neat little parlor stoves they're restoring.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    PJ Diesel is correct in what he is saying about burning of the wood. Coal stoves are not very efficient burning the wood. They can but no where as good as a wood stove. Coal burns from the bottom up and wood burns from the top down.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    BlackBart I bought it in Wilmington De. at Woodstoves and More. If I remember correctly it was $2200 to $2300. I had to pay a little extra above that because I had to have Hitzer build me a custom surround because my fireplace opening was so large. On the shipping papers it says it can not burn wood, but that is due to the amount of emmisions it puts off, because there is no cat or secondary burn for epa regs.. It can burn wood and I do also in it. You also start the coal off of a hot wood fire. It does not clog the chimney up with creosote. I have noticed that after I burn wood in it and switch to coal it cleans the internals from all the char marks the wood left behind. Trust me when I tell you there is a learning curve. I got frustrated and even asked myself what did I waste my money on. I went back to the dealer and he printed off a paper to follow and after that never looked back.

Thanks for the input............ YOUR thread so speak your mind. :thumbsup::cool: Good info BTW!

I had a guy come out Wednesday to give guesstimates, wood furnace in basement and fireplace insert......... on the fence.... multiple fences! :o

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I had a massive fireplace on the main level. It was pretty, but at the same time useless. sucked down the wood and only warmed the one room. Talked to the dealer and he talked me into the coal stove. On the lower level I have a Osburn wood stove. Wish I could of done it the other way around because the coal stove puts off way more heat. The way my lower level connects to the second chimney it could not be done without major $$$$$. I like the woodstoves, because I have never had to pay for wood, except gas for the saw and splitter. Coal carries a cost though way less then paying a large energy supplier. I have to say that I do like the really long burn times of the coal and there is just as much ash to contend with. I think you will like the wood insert in place of your fireplace.

Good luck BlackBart with choice!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Well my ES house has a MONSTER 2 door Fisher wood stove, wood hog, not efficient but worked well, VERY well. I have several acres off wood here, more than I have years. Can one buy coal by 50 lb bags, whats it cost in manageable quantities?

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Well my ES house has a MONSTER 2 door Fisher wood stove, wood hog, not efficient but worked well, VERY well. I have several acres off wood here, more than I have years. Can one buy coal by 50 lb bags, whats it cost in manageable quantities?

Yes - most of the bags in our area seem to be 40 lb bags. Tractor Supply carries this (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/kimmels-coal-and-packaging-nut-coal-40-lb) for $4.99 a bag making it $249.50 + 5% discount for out the door cost of $237.00 per palllet/ton.

Mr. Mulch was selling Blaschak coal in 40 lb bags also but can't remember the price.

Waiting to see how the Harman TLC2000 handles both wood and coal as it was marketed as being bi-fuel. and we have access to a lot of woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom