• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Finally got this thing...here is my review.

I have to admit, at first I was a little disappointed in the sound reduction. That was because my friends Silencerco Harvester was noticeably quieter.

Testing our cans with subs we had one listener indoors with Windows closed at about 75 yards. The Micro 30 sounded like a trash can being dropped or something like a nail gun. Did not sound like a gun. Pretty cool. My friends Harvester though, I didn't really hear it at all.

Same distance both people outside, they both were audible. However, the Micro30 was still noticeably louder, in the way that it still had an audible crack, though it was subsonic. The Harvester sounded like a nail gun with no crack.

Distance of maybe 200 yards, I could hear the Micro 30 for sure. It just had a louder echo crack through the trees. The harvester, I barely heard.

Now, similar distance but with using terrain as a sound barrier, such as shooting in a valley, he was unable to hear the Micro 30 at all.

With supersonics I was told it sounded like a regular gun. That was until I removed the suppressor and showed them the sound of an AR pistol. With that comparison it was a huge reduction in sound at the muzzle. Still very audible at distance.

If you're trying to not piss off neighbors it sounds like terrain features make all the difference.

All shots at shooters ear weren't that loud. Seemed hearing safe to me.

The modular K can was actually not as loud as I thought it would be. I originally doubted I would ever use a short K can, but I would consider using it with subs for home defense. With supers it was noticeable louder, but I still think it would save your ears. It's also REALLY less front heavy in this setup.

Overall I realized this can will take the edge off, and with subs your neighbors might not even hear you if they're indoors, but it's going to be heard outdoors.

It's not for being ninja quiet, but I think it's nice and short, good for defensive applications. It definitely will save your hearing, and your neighbors won't be woken up by it unless their windows are open.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thanks for the review. I picked mine up recently, but haven't had a chance to use it. Sounds like about what I expected.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Thanks for the review. I picked mine up recently, but haven't had a chance to use it. Sounds like about what I expected.

I was surprised at the short K can configuration the most. I really thought I'd never use it, but it's not that bad with subs. I wouldn't shoot all day with it, but just as a hearing reduction device to save your ears out in the field or in home defense, it seems alright.

I probably will pick up the Surge one day, but I don't regret getting the Micro 30.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I was surprised at the short K can configuration the most. I really thought I'd never use it, but it's not that bad with subs. I wouldn't shoot all day with it, but just as a hearing reduction device to save your ears out in the field or in home defense, it seems alright.

I probably will pick up the Surge one day, but I don't regret getting the Micro 30.
    I already have two full-ish sized .30 Cal cans (Griffin Optimus in full configuration and Q Thunder Chicken), but the rugged surge looks like a great can. The Thunder Chicken has a really low, pleasing tone and makes me want to buy more Q cans. That said the fit and finish on the Micro is really nice. I would buy any of Rugged's products at this point. For some reason the wheeler wrench I have doesn't play well with their muzzle devices + shims (or accuwashers), but I was able to get the flash hider mounted okay. I'll probably eventually have a gunsmith torque both my rugged muzzle devices to spec on their respective hosts and check for concentricity when I have time.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I already have two full-ish sized .30 Cal cans (Griffin Optimus in full configuration and Q Thunder Chicken), but the rugged surge looks like a great can. The Thunder Chicken has a really low, pleasing tone and makes me want to buy more Q cans. That said the fit and finish on the Micro is really nice. I would buy any of Rugged's products at this point. For some reason the wheeler wrench I have doesn't play well with their muzzle devices + shims (or accuwashers), but I was able to get the flash hider mounted okay. I'll probably eventually have a gunsmith torque both my rugged muzzle devices to spec on their respective hosts and check for concentricity when I have time.

The only thing that sucks is aren't most muzzle devices specific to brand? That's the main reason I would get the Surge, just to work with my current muzzle devices.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The only thing that sucks is aren't most muzzle devices specific to brand? That's the main reason I would get the Surge, just to work with my current muzzle devices.
    Yeah, that is pretty much the situation. I tend to buy a can for just one or two rifles though, so it bothers me less than some. I know some folk buy only one family of suppressors just so they only have one brand specific muzzle device to deal with. Or some folk only want to buy one or two cans, so they just buy more muzzle devices of the same kind. If I didn't already have good large 30 cal cans, I would definitely be looking at the Surge. Based on research I did before I bought the Micro, it is clear that Rugged puts a lot of time and effort into making sure their cans work well, are sturdy, and have excellent fit and finish.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Yeah, that is pretty much the situation. I tend to buy a can for just one or two rifles though, so it bothers me less than some. I know some folk buy only one family of suppressors just so they only have one brand specific muzzle device to deal with. Or some folk only want to buy one or two cans, so they just buy more muzzle devices of the same kind. If I didn't already have good large 30 cal cans, I would definitely be looking at the Surge. Based on research I did before I bought the Micro, it is clear that Rugged puts a lot of time and effort into making sure their cans work well, are sturdy, and have excellent fit and finish.

It's just that I kind of want one of those lightweight cans if I'm going for a long one to be super quiet, but Rugged doesn't make one.

CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    hows the optimus vs the q? and which method of attachment are you using on what host? just curious thanks

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    hows the optimus vs the q? and which method of attachment are you using on what host? just curious thanks
    I am using the Q Thunder Chicken and cherry bomb on a .308 bolt gun and a random AR15 I built awhile back. I can't imagine a better can really. Low blowback, pleasing tone, super quiet. Makes me want to buy a Trash Panda. The cherry bomb isn't my favorite muzzle device, but it works well enough. Great mounting system though. I'm tempted to try their bottle rocket.

The Griffin Optimus is literally my do all can. I have everything besides direct thread adapter and A2 attachment. My favorite configuration is mid or full length attached via their threaded battlecomp. Their trilug adapter works well with the Hansohn Bros trilug mount too. I think it sounds pretty good and works pretty well. It is hard to tell with blowback since it primarily goes on pistols and an 18" AR15 that has a tuned gas system. It isn't as pleasant sounding as the Q can but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if someone wants a general purpose can and isn't chasing the quietest/most durable/sexiest/etc. I'm glad I have it.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

the rugged surge looks like a great can.

I have a Surge. They're GREAT cans. Not the lightest or the shortest, but they are *quiet* and there was no POI change for me when adding one. As a bonus, the Rugged brakes work really well also. I was really surprised how softly my 10.5" 5.56 SBR shoots with one on. It's loud as hell without the suppressor, but soft!

For some reason the wheeler wrench I have doesn't play well with their muzzle devices + shims (or accuwashers),

That's my one bitch with Rugged. The wrench flats on their muzzle devices are too short / thin to allow most normal wrenches to grip them when you take in to account that there would be a washer on the barrel side when torquing it down. I contacted them about it, and they told me they just use a thin open end wrench to do it. This is what they linked me to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZQW0Y

I bought a set of them and they work fine. The only problem of course is that you can't use a torque wrench. I've torqued enough stuff that I did it by feel, but I still would have been more comfortable with a proper torquing. I did consider taking a belt grinder to one of my normal muzzle device wrenches to make it thinner, but never got around to it.

Other than that though, I have been 100% happy with my Surge.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    <snip>

That's my one bitch with Rugged. The wrench flats on their muzzle devices are too short / thin to allow most normal wrenches to grip them when you take in to account that there would be a washer on the barrel side when torquing it down. I contacted them about it, and they told me they just use a thin open end wrench to do it. This is what they linked me to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZQW0Y

I bought a set of them and they work fine. The only problem of course is that you can't use a torque wrench. I've torqued enough stuff that I did it by feel, but I still would have been more comfortable with a proper torquing. I did consider taking a belt grinder to one of my normal muzzle device wrenches to make it thinner, but never got around to it.

<snip> .

Here is what you need to get the torque right:

https://www.motionpro.com/a/adjustable-torque-wrench-adapter-08-0380/

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Oh son of a bitch, that's great!

I never knew that existed, and I use all sorts of tools from MotionPro when working on my motorcycles.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Oh son of a bitch, that's great!

I never knew that existed, and I use all sorts of tools from MotionPro when working on my motorcycles.

Yeah, sort of a weird one. I don't think anybody else makes one, or if they do, I can't find it. About forty bucks. I can't make (or jerry-rig) anything similar for that price.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Anyone else surprised at K cans effectiveness? I used to think they were pointless, but for a few shots such as a home defense situation, they seem pretty nice for the size.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Anyone else surprised at K cans effectiveness? I used to think they were pointless, but for a few shots such as a home defense situation, they seem pretty nice for the size.
    In general I think there are a lot of popular misconceptions about how "loudness" (actually Sound Pressure Levels) get measured, what relevance that has to the end user of a suppressor, and what volume a suppressor requires to noticeably quiet things down (not the same thing as make a gun hearing safe). Seems like you had realistic expectations. Your report makes me really look forward to getting some range time with mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom