Hardened 2 18.18%
Radical 1 9.09%
other 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 13th, 2018, 09:08 PM #1
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

AR pistol

Which upper would you get? I'm primarily interested in something for HD that I'd shoot supers and subs, but neither with a can. I haven't fully decided between 8.5" and 10.5". I like the compactness of the 8.5, but would go 10.5" if there's a large impact on accuracy. Velocity should only be about 100fps, so nothing crazy advantageous between the two. With 1/8 barrels, I don't know if the 10.5 would help better stabilize heavier projectiles or not. I also don't know if a 10.5 would be more likely to be overgassed due to more dwell time, or if it would be more forgiving across a wide variety of ammo choices. Help

PSA 8.5" upper-
It's cheap, with a bcg and ch included. Drawbacks are a long wait till they finally ship the derned thing,1/8 twist instead of 1/7, and the handguard is shorter than the others. I probably also prefer a linear muzzle device to keep noise away. I haven't really found accuracy data on them except people's generic "shoots well", but am leary of going 8.5 instead of 10.5 due to the 1/8 twist. I don't have plans to toss a can on anytime soon.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449777.html

Mas defense 8.5" with linear comp-
it's more expensive by about $150 than the PSA, but it has the longer handguard and muzzle device I'm interested in. It also has 1/7 twist, with the option of a "match" barrel upgrade. It seems like this shouuuuuld shoot better, especially with subs, because of that. I don't really see a lot of reviews giving hard data on performance. They don't seem to have as big a track record as PSA, but seem to have better customer service if something does go wrong. I'm leary that they give two options for what the bolt steel in their bcgs could be.

https://www.masdefense.com/product-p...b1-mdnm-10.htm

Hardened arms-
They're more expensive than PSA, but still only 1/8 twist, and the handguard options I like come with a brake that I don't. They seem to have a decent reputation though, so I figured I'd toss emm in here

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProdu...r%20w/HD%20SMC

Radical firearms-
This one is promising. It's PSA cheap, but with 1/7 twist. The rail on it is shorter than I'd like though. With a linear comp, I'd like something more like a 9" mlok rail for mounting a light out further.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Rad...0hbar-7fcr.htm

SOooo...which one out of these cheapies is where you'd go? Or would you just do something different/build your own? With the price of the PSA and radical, it almost doesn't make that much sense to piece one together for more loot.

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2018, 09:39 PM #2
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland. Looking at a hill in WV.
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland. Looking at a hill in WV.
Put one together with a SLR block. Trust me on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM #3

Those prices do make it hard to justify a build, I'll give you that. 5 years ago, I spent as much/more just on the barrel(s) for my 300BLK projects.

I voted other/build, simply because I just don't trust the materials/workmanship at that price level - quality parts, and quality people assembling them, aren't cheap. May be an unfounded distrust as I haven't dealt with some of the manufacturers you've listed, just my thoughts on it.
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM #4

I vote "other" and if you want a quality HD upper that is ready to go right out of the box, then I think a Windham Weaponry upper is a great choice. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for:
https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/col...ur9sfsb-300-7m

I also have had great results from BCM:
https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-1...Group-s/31.htm

I have 2 PSA uppers (one is a 10.5" pistol in 5.56), they are solid but not as well put together or QC'd as WW or BCM. If you want to only do informal recreational shooting, then PSA is just fine. For HD, I would get something better or build your own; or at least go through the SOTAR build class (with the PSA upper option) so you can have an expert guide you though rebuilding it and insure it is to spec.

Finally, for the build your own from select parts option; you will need specialized tools, but you can borrow from the membership here, and it's fun and rewarding to build your own. There are numerous good parts to choose from.
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM #5

I agree with above. If you go the PSA or Radical Firearms option there is a reasonable chance that some assembly details wont be 100%. Statistically you could get lucky and have no issues. I brought a Radical 10.5Ē Upper from a member here and took it to the SOTAR Build class. It was ok but Chad did find a few minor issues. My muzzle device wasnít tight enough and didnít have a crush washer also the screws holding the hand guard to the adaptor were somewhat loose. My barrel nut wast torqued really really tight.

Iím happy with it now and probably have 1000 rounds through it.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM #6
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Thanks guys. I figured it'd probably be good to go over any of these to check alignment and torque at a minimum. Anyone have experience with MAS defense?

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns