• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Found a few "LC 71" stamped .308 cases mixed in with my FGMM brass Wondered how it got there so I started digging through all of my cans of brass. Apparently, somewhere over the years, I picked up an ammo can full of it and forgot I had it. Still don't know how some of it got mixed with my FGMM brass, but does anyone know if the Lake City brass stamped "LC 71" is consistent enough for PRS type competitions?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Lake City brass is fine, and I would actually prefer it to regular FGMM brass, which I find to be soft.

Due to its age and potential history, I would carefully inspect it and definitely anneal the necks prior to standard prep. Look for case head irregularities from being run through a machine gun, look for neck and shoulder cracks.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Found a few "LC 71" stamped .308 cases mixed in with my FGMM brass Wondered how it got there so I started digging through all of my cans of brass. Apparently, somewhere over the years, I picked up an ammo can full of it and forgot I had it. Still don't know how some of it got mixed with my FGMM brass, but does anyone know if the Lake City brass stamped "LC 71" is consistent enough for PRS type competitions?

I’m curious what competitions are you planning to do with your .308?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Lake City brass is fine, and I would actually prefer it to regular FGMM brass, which I find to be soft.

Due to its age and potential history, I would carefully inspect it and definitely anneal the necks prior to standard prep. Look for case head irregularities from being run through a machine gun, look for neck and shoulder cracks.

Thanks Ed!

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I’m curious what competitions are you planning to do with your .308?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I figured I would shoot the shorter matches with .308. So, anything at Mayberry or similar distance ranges. Shooting my .260 or 6x47 seemed a little overkill for anything less than 600yds. Plus, I can save some barrel-life on my other calibers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Typically you will want to sort Lake City by year.

Better is the LC LR or Match brass.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    I use a lot of Lake City Match for the 30-06. It was all made in the 50's and 60's.

I shoot well with it, BUT I cut a couple in half and found that the I.D. and O.D. were nowhere near concentric. I have yet to cut some other cases, but for sure, the sidewalls were thinner on one side than the other....

Rapidrob

Glen Burn-out
    I use it in my M1A, FAL's, and Enfied out to 800 yards at my range during matches and never had a problem using M80 Ball or M-118 bullets.
    All LC brass should be annealed after the third reloading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom