• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike j

Feb 14, 2018
    Annapolis MD
    Just got my first can and and shot it on my blackout the other night at the range. I didn't expect it to have a problem but it doesn't like to lock the bolt back after the last round, it only did once out of 20 rounds (200gr sub). My set up is 16" barrel standard carbine buffer and spring but with a carbine gas length. I know now its preferred to have a pistol length with subs, but I thought shooting suppressed I wouldn't have this problem. Where to start, gas system or buffer/spring?

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Who is the barrel mfr?

Does it runs subs unsupressed or did you switch from supers to suppressed subs?

It sounds like your system is undergassed. The best solution is to have a competent smith with experience with this particular system increase the gas port diameter and then install an adjustable gas block, like the SLR. Keep the carbine buffer and spring. I had Chad do the work on my 300 BLK. I can adjust the gas system to run anything from suppressed supers to unsupressed subs.

mike j

Feb 14, 2018
    Annapolis MD
    The barrel is ar stoner from midway. I have only shot supers through it until now, before I put the suppressor on out of curiosity I put one sub in a mag to shoot and it did the same this but that was expected.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When you get your SLR(and yes, you will get one), Take the whole gun or to Chad(or talk to him about shipping it). There can be several issues involved. Gas port may be too narrow, action spring and or buffer may be too heavy, gas block may not be properly lined up over the gas port. Chad will go over the gun with a fine-tooth comb and properly mount and pin you GB for you. Money well spent.

mike j

Feb 14, 2018
    Annapolis MD
    When you get your SLR(and yes, you will get one), Take the whole gun or to Chad(or talk to him about shipping it). There can be several issues involved. Gas port may be too narrow, action spring and or buffer may be too heavy, gas block may not be properly lined up over the gas port. Chad will go over the gun with a fine-tooth comb and properly mount and pin you GB for you. Money well spent.

That’s the plan. I’m new to mdshooters but I think the Chad everyone is talking about used to work at a shop in Glen Burnie if we’re talking about the same person. What is the contact info I’d like to get the work done and where’s his shop located. I’m in aa county but I don’t mind to drive for good work. Thanks everyone

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    That’s the plan. I’m new to mdshooters but I think the Chad everyone is talking about used to work at a shop in Glen Burnie if we’re talking about the same person. What is the contact info I’d like to get the work done and where’s his shop located. I’m in aa county but I don’t mind to drive for good work. Thanks everyone

Industry Partner School of the American Rifle
    https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Would you guys say that an adjustable gas block is a necessity if you are going to run it suppressed?

That depends on the gun and the usage IMO. If you plan to shoot only one type of ammunition through it, whether that be subs or supers, it might not be essential. But, in most cases, we tend to fire both types and that usually requires the need to cater to the different performance characteristics of each. An adjustable GB makes that very easy(in the case of the SLR types). At the very least, they help to greatly adjust the impulse of the gun so as to not run a severely over-gassed rifle, which can effect accuracy, follow up shots, and overall parts' durability.

No issues with mine. Pistol length gas and the right buffer seems to do the trick.

Are you shooting suppressed always? Shooting the same loads always?

It is possible to open a gas port way out so the gun will cycle everything put into it, but that can sometimes result in over-gassing, beating the gun as well as the gunner up unnecessarily in the process. If you ever get a chance, shoot an 'adjusted' gun with the same load(s) you are shooting and see if you can feel a noticeable difference in gun impulse.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That depends on the gun and the usage IMO. If you plan to shoot only one type of ammunition through it, whether that be subs or supers, it might not be essential. But, in most cases, we tend to fire both types and that usually requires the need to cater to the different performance characteristics of each. An adjustable GB makes that very easy(in the case of the SLR types). At the very least, they help to greatly adjust the impulse of the gun so as to not run a severely over-gassed rifle, which can effect accuracy, follow up shots, and overall parts' durability.

Hmm - well I ended up (at Chad's suggestion) putting one of these SLR gas blocks on an AR with a Noveske barre that was really over-gassed. Runs perfectly now. Guess in order to really take advantage of it, I need to make getting another can a higher priority. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Industry Partner School of the American Rifle
    https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227

You are right Mike J, that is me. Blacksmith101 led you to the right place as well.

If you need help let me know.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Much appreciated.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Chad will turn your VW Beetle into a Rolls Royce. He will square your gun away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom