Do officers have a duty to not enforce unconstitutional laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    This above.. However some folks will never except the truth, even if it bit them in the a$$. However I'm seldom surprised by RD's responses... :sad20::o

I hate it when people don't "except" the truth.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Unlike your responses... mine are directed to you. Not to others... about you. I don’t need nor desire to campaign.

Make no mistake: Indirect or not, I was referring directly to your comments. Reading comprehension and trying to put words in other peoples mouth seem to be a constant response. I never made any comparison to NAZI activities and you are taking liberties with the truth by posting such directed at me...:sad20:

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Gentleman

it sounds here to me that their are so many views and so many ideas, instead of blasting each other why not have a grand meet somewhere in the state that everyone can drive to or at least try to make it so everyone might have to drive some to get to it to be fair, have a sitdown eyeball to eyeball and hash it all out in person. We are all gentleman and can be civil about this as well while we are taking turns speaking our minds and our hearts on this matter as well. I for one think it would be a very interesting meeting and who knows what might come out of it as well. What say ye?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Make no mistake: Indirect or not, I was referring directly to your comments. Reading comprehension and trying to put words in other peoples mouth seem to be a constant response. I never made any comparison to NAZI activities and you are taking liberties with the truth by posting such directed at me...:sad20:

I made no mistake... I knew full well your intentions were directed at me.

Reading comprehension would allow you to see that my comments were originally directed here:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5390402&postcount=14
    (Not your post)
    You stepped in it here:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5390951&postcount=35
    And here:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5391239&postcount=37
    Altered the conversation here by adding your comments about the Japanese treatment in WWII America.
    And then you post dragging me through the mud here:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5391666&postcount=79

You called your self out... I directed nothing AT you. ALL I did was answer your posts.

Reading comprehension... hmm... yep... :party29: You’re correct... it does work.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The sheriff in question is interpreting the constitutionality of laws in our favor, so he's a patriot. I bet the conversation would be different if he was going in another direction.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The sheriff in question is interpreting the constitutionality of laws in our favor, so he's a patriot. I bet the conversation would be different if he was going in another direction.

Pretty much...

The classic interpretation system... ;)

Statement: “That was the coolest cop ever.”
    Translation: “I got off with a warning instead of a citation... for 55 mph in a 40 mph zone.”

Statement: “That cop was an *******.”
    Translation: “I was doing 55 mph in a 40 mph zone... and got a citation.”

We see it all the time. :rolleyes:

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Were they AMERICAN Police?

No? Damn right they were NOT.

That’s why the comparison is offensive ********.

CLUE:

The word “Police” is a word which has no singular definition which applies to all persons in every country. In ALL of those countries... it involves persons who are operating under a different set of rules, laws, and policies.
    American Police are NOT members of the NAZI Party. Reference to them as such is very wrong.

You are splitting hairs. Police are police are police, it matters not what country they come from. They, the police, are used to enforce the civil laws, regulations, rules and dictates.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    You are splitting hairs. Police are police are police, it matters not what country they come from. They, the police, are used to enforce the civil laws, regulations, rules and dictates.

Wrong. Only the name is the same. The job and the laws differ on a grand scale.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I made no mistake... I knew full well your intentions were directed at me.

Reading comprehension would allow you to see that my comments were originally directed here:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5390402&postcount=14
    (Not your post)
    You stepped in it here:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5390951&postcount=35
    And here:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5391239&postcount=37
    Altered the conversation here by adding your comments about the Japanese treatment in WWII America.
    And then you post dragging me through the mud here:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5391666&postcount=79

You called your self out... I directed nothing AT you. ALL I did was answer your posts.

Reading comprehension... hmm... yep... :party29: You’re correct... it does work.

Total BS, as usual... I stand by every response I made, directly or indirectly.

The bottom line for me; " law enforcement, especially in this state, enforce laws that are not constitutionally supported". For anyone, including you, who believe otherwise is either looking through rose colored glass or simply do not care and; "while I may have to live with that reality, to some degree, I don't have to like it and will express so as I see fit"... Don't like my opinions, not my problem. :party29:
    Now spin that any way you want...

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I know that this is not a State v Fed issue but my immediate thought is that State's Rights are cool and good for weed, gay marriage, and sanctuary cities, but bad for scary things like guns. Can't have it both ways. Seattle should comply with Federal drug law if they want to force the issue on the surrounding countryside.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I know that this is not a State v Fed issue but my immediate thought is that State's Rights are cool and good for weed, gay marriage, and sanctuary cities, but bad for scary things like guns. Can't have it both ways. Seattle should comply with Federal drug law if they want to force the issue on the surrounding countryside.

Not that I really care but last time I checked smoking weed is not a Constitutionally protected right. However I agree if you are trampling on a person's civil rights with a State law then there is a serious problem.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Not that I really care but last time I checked smoking weed is not a Constitutionally protected right. However I agree if you are trampling on a person's civil rights with a State law then there is a serious problem.

Yep, and MD supports that, at all levels of government and enforcement agents, with few exceptions...:sad20:

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016

I just don't like hypocrisy. We can ignore the law but those lower on the totem pole sure can't ignore us.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    As regurgitated here several times, a police officers first duty is not to the Constitution, it's to his paycheck so he can provide for his family. The LEOs paycheck is not in jeopardy when it comes to enforcing unconstitutional laws/policies/orders, and that is the foundation of the problem. LEOs are not your friends, they are enforcers for the state. There are probably 10:1 really awesome friendly cops to aholes with a badge; but at the end of the day their job is law enforcement. And they will enforce the laws regardless of perceived constitutionality. You would do best to keep any and all conversations with an LEO about hot topics such as guns to a minimum, who knows what tomorrow brings with bans in this state. The last thing you want is officer friendly remembering the 200 "hi capacity" magazines you told him about when Larry signs the confiscation bill.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    As regurgitated here several times, a police officers first duty is not to the Constitution, it's to his paycheck so he can provide for his family. The LEOs paycheck is not in jeopardy when it comes to enforcing unconstitutional laws/policies/orders, and that is the foundation of the problem. LEOs are not your friends, they are enforcers for the state. There are probably 10:1 really awesome friendly cops to aholes with a badge; but at the end of the day their job is law enforcement. And they will enforce the laws regardless of perceived constitutionality. You would do best to keep any and all conversations with an LEO about hot topics such as guns to a minimum, who knows what tomorrow brings with bans in this state. The last thing you want is officer friendly remembering the 200 "hi capacity" magazines you told him about when Larry signs the confiscation bill.

Not worth the trouble.

Last edited:

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I think some of the LEO's are misunderstanding why so many of us are appealing to you for guidance and clarification right now. Cops are human, they are our neighbors, friends, and family, and as such, are more approachable and understandable than politicians and judges (re: the lizard people).

I don't think I am alone in saying that the actions of our politicians and judges are absolutely terrifying in a way most of us have only observed through the study of history. Has there been some misdirected anger towards LEO's? Yes, and I've certainly played my part on that front, but we're still talking because some of us see law enforcement as the last line of defence from a tyrannical state. We are desperately looking for reasons to not lump law enforcement in with the faceless enemy.

Maybe that's not fair, but when people perceive they have been backed into a corner fair and rational discourse becomes increasingly challenging.

All that is to say, "Hey guys, we're on the same team!"

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I am pretty sure I can constitutionally take the 5 th if I was asked that question.

But I have always said it’s better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

There's a LOT more of this than I think anyone is willing to admit (for obvious reasons).

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I think some of the LEO's are misunderstanding why so many of us are appealing to you for guidance and clarification right now. Cops are human, they are our neighbors, friends, and family, and as such, are more approachable and understandable than politicians and judges (re: the lizard people).

I don't think I am alone in saying that the actions of our politicians and judges are absolutely terrifying in a way most of us have only observed through the study of history. Has there been some misdirected anger towards LEO's? Yes, and I've certainly played my part on that front, but we're still talking because some of us see law enforcement as the last line of defence from a tyrannical state. We are desperately looking for reasons to not lump law enforcement in with the faceless enemy.

Maybe that's not fair, but when people perceive they have been backed into a corner fair and rational discourse becomes increasingly challenging.

All that is to say, "Hey guys, we're on the same team!"

Here is what you do: You obey the law, You obey the officers orders, you get yourself an attorney. You don't say anything that can be used against you in a court of law. Give your name, birth date, address if asked. Be polite, calm, cool and collective. You get groups together to collect data, you work with police or law enforcement unions. That is all you can do, because the law is on the books. An street officer has very limited leeway, look what they did to the former Sheriff of Maricopa County Joe Arpaio.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom