• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I just finished processing the backstraps from the doe I got last week. I had hung the deer in my garage until yesterday. I took it out and set it on the back of my Ranger. It was in the mid-thirties and was perfect for butchering the deer outside. No flies and didn't have to worry about the meat going bad. I quartered it then took the backstraps and tenderloins out and put everything into a game bag which went back into the garage. I was going hunting again so I wanted to wait until today to finish processing the meat.

I started out with the backstraps and cut off all the silverskin. I put all but one into foodsaver bags and into the freezer.

I just finished having one backstrap steak for dinner. I baked a couple of potatoes and heated a can of sweet corn to go with the backstrap.

The backstrap came out almost perfectly! It was more tender than any steakhouse steak I've had in years. The only thing I think I could have done to make it better is cooked it a little more rare but maybe not.

Wonder if it's cause it's so fresh or was that just an exceptional tasting deer?

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I bet the deer didn't run long after being shot. Deer that doe instantly, like a 100 grain bullet at 3400 fps to the high neck, tend to taste great.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    wife marinates with ketchup and bbq sauce and some other stuff. broils in oven. way better than any steak at any restaurant!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not sure it was exceptional. I happen to love venison backstrap. Deer, Elk, etc. better than any cut of beef I’ve ever had. Some beef I like better than some cuts of venison, but nothing beats venison backstrap and tenderloin IMHO.

Even over cooked deer backstrap is decent. Cooked right, it’s exceptional. The two ways I prefer is seared on all sides for about 2 minutes on a cast iron skillet and then cooked at about 425 for around 10 minutes (15? I’d have to double check my recipe). Especially with some cranberries, a bit of whiskey, onions and apple slices thrown in the pan.

Other way is wrap it with turkey bacon and throw it on the grill at really low heat for about 45 minutes. Center just a little pink still, cover on a plate with aluminum foil for 10 minutes after taking it off the grill. leaves the plate covered in bloody juice when it’s in covered and is tons juicy and soft.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The tenderloins from this doe were really skinny. Not what I expected.

I cooked this one on a propane grill outside.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    From everything I've read on aging meat, 1-2 weeks is pretty much the sweet spot. That time in the cold garage was well spent.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    If they are grassfed they are great. Congrats!

Do you hunt those Coues Deer down there in AZ? I've been watching episodes of Meateater where he hunts for them there.

I was assigned to work on FT. Hauchuca in the 90s and used to rent horses from the stable on base. One time I went by a small group of Coues Deer and passed them at about 5 yards and they just looked at me and the horse.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Do you hunt those Coues Deer down there in AZ? I've been watching episodes of Meateater where he hunts for them there.

I was assigned to work on FT. Hauchuca in the 90s and used to rent horses from the stable on base. One time I went by a small group of Coues Deer and passed them at about 5 yards and they just looked at me and the horse.

I havent really looked at it but most is draw tags. I know theres some OTC tags for mule deer but its bow. only. From what I understand

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Deer can be odd on what they ignore. I am in a rural residential neighborhood, so the deer are slightly human habituated. So they typically don’t take off until a person is within about 50yds of them.

But they will bolt.

But if I am waking my recycling or trash can to the curb, I’ve walked within 10yds of deer and they just look at me like “what the hell is that?”

I am convinced what I need to do is take my trash can hunting with me. Just roll it around with a rifle in my other arm and I can sneak right up on them.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I did backstraps tonight and made quesadillas. Cooked them whole and then cut them up into 4 cheese quesadillas. So good.

Attachments

• AC1B2F2E-D774-4551-9CCF-7F2EFB399B44.jpeg
      AC1B2F2E-D774-4551-9CCF-7F2EFB399B44.jpeg
      71.3 KB · Views: 212
    • C91EAE52-8016-4C50-B865-AFB96BDABCAA.jpeg
      C91EAE52-8016-4C50-B865-AFB96BDABCAA.jpeg
      35.5 KB · Views: 230
    • B57F1D6B-E147-496C-A014-3DFF039BCDEF.jpeg
      B57F1D6B-E147-496C-A014-3DFF039BCDEF.jpeg
      68.9 KB · Views: 218

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Butchered the doe I got last week and made a butterfly steak out of one of the cuts from the rear quarter. It was very tender and I thought it tasted as good as the backstrap steak I posted about a few weeks ago. I had 3 baked potatoes and some peas with it. Would've been a perfect meal but I forgot about putting sour cream on the potatoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom