• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What are my options for a semi-universal can. Yes, I understand compromises will be had. What ones are out there and what upsides/downsides can you think of for each. Reading a review article of the YHM R9.

Time/cost of the stamp as well as my wife not being overly thrilled with anything gun related is kind of limiting me here. I just got my first can, a Rimfire can, back in May (as in actually picked it up).

Itching for my next one, but if possible I'd like a bit more of a universal one.

9mm, .300BO SS and .357 (rifle) would be my minimum uses. If it can handle 5.56 (16") and .308 (16") then great.

Reading up on the YHM R9, it seems like it is right up my alley. Extremely affordable. But completely out of stock at SS. Downside is it only comes with a mount for 1/2". I'd need to order one in 5/8 as well as a Nielsen adapter mount also. Which racks up like another $150. I assume I'd need the Nielsen piston on top of all that for a pistol?

If something exists that is in .45 instead and could handle all of the above, plus obviously .45acp and maybe 45lc out of a 16"+ barrel...(more focused on 9mm to .308).

Hopefully without adding a huge amount of weight.

Thoughts and opinions? Yes, I know I am sort of looking for a unicorn.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If you're already spending a ton of money, and waiting a year, why not do it right?

Everything I've read says to at least pick one rimfire, one pistol, and one rifle suppressor. You're going to want a light pistol can or it's no fun to shoot for a long time. And a good quality rifle can, or they'll still be loud.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    How much are you willing to spend? The R9 seems like a great budget option, but is going to be loud.

The Griffin Armament Optimus Gen 2 and Bushwhacker Gen 2 both seem like good options for you, with the Optimus being the more modular option. Silencerco Hybrid and SilencerCo Omega36m are both good. Liberty Mystic X and Cosmic would both do what you want as well, though they are monocore designs.

I have a Cosmic that only really gets used on pistols and an Optimus Gen 1 that is the town bicycle of my silencer collection. I’m happy with both, but more impressed with the Optimus.

Finally, if your dealer doesn’t bone you on transfer fees, Rex Silentium Mg and ModX series seem to be pretty good, though kind of thiccc for pistol use. If I had known the ModX .338 existed (fine for 9mm and .357 in short configuration), I probably would not have bought the Dead Air Wolfman. Actually the Wolfman will do most of what you want too, but you’d need Keymicro brakes for your centerfire rifles.

Of all the things I listed, I expect you would be happiest with the Optimus Gen2. Just be aware that universal suppressors do come with some trade offs (weight, ability to clean, and POI shift come to mind), and passing a single can around all the time limits you somewhat at the range. And can result in burns if one is not careful.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Don't. Just don't. Gwchem has given you good advice. Any compromise can will do everything...poorly, and weigh a ton in the bargain. Buy a good rimfire can, a good centerfire pistol can, and a good rifle can.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hybrid 46 will be more capable on rifles, but not so hot on pistols. Omega 36M is better with pistols (since it has a short mode), but isn't going to give you 45ACP compatibility. Wolfman does not handle 308, but is otherwise not a bad choice. YHM N20 is a strong contender, and I was impressed with it at SHOT.

Personal opinion: pistols (as opposed to PCCs) with suppressors are toys, and would be the last thing I'd consider when buying one. I'd optimize for long guns first, and then deal with pistols later (if ever).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have an Optimus too, you really aren't giving up a whole lot for all it can do. On 5.56 and 30cal rifles it's pretty quiet, relatively light, just a little long(9.4") out of the box. Includes a booster for 9mm, which is plenty to scratch the itch of suppressing handguns, and as Erwos said, to find out first hand it's kinda impractical. It is an AWESOME PCC can, at 6.6" and 12oz it's a decent size, rugged, FA rated and the simple baffle setup is easy to clean/maintain. You do have options for a mid-size 7.9" configuration, which is what I use primarily on 5.56 and 30 cal rifles, this uses the 30cal rifle baffle. You can use a taper mount or 3 lug adapter in the short / light pistol config, and it's rated for 14.5" 5.56 or 9" 300BO, these don't use the 30cal baffle, so they are much louder. It does what it's advertised to do, and I like to use it on most things. I like that it's user serviceable(would be nervous with a sealed PCC can like the Omega 36M), it's got a TON of muzzle device options, and had decent performance. IMO it's still a viable choice even if you plan on getting other rifle or pistol cans as it's easy to pack a few parts and try out suppressing most everything.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    ...Hybrid 46 will be more capable on rifles, but not so hot on pistols...

I bought a Hybrid 46 thinking I would be getting the most bang for my buck with set ups for my 458 SOCOM, .308 Ruger Scout, Socom 16, HK USP45c and Masterpiece MPA30. I'm still deciding if I won that battle, but I can say this, I am very happy with my little GemTec .22 can, that thing on my 10/22 or 22/45 Lite is great!

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    If you're already spending a ton of money, and waiting a year, why not do it right?

Everything I've read says to at least pick one rimfire, one pistol, and one rifle suppressor. You're going to want a light pistol can or it's no fun to shoot for a long time. And a good quality rifle can, or they'll still be loud.

Agreed. Trying to find ONE can that fill all roles is not going to happen. In addition, weight and size is a factor. Your most efficient cans will be .22LR and 9mm. Spend your money there first. Next, you will probably go for a rifle caliber in .223 &/or .30 cal. You will find out quickly that full powered .223 is still loud, and 300BLK subsonic is surprisingly quiet. So consider a good .30 cal can to do double duty for your rifle needs. And if you get into full autos, you will need additional options. Just my $.02.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg

Attachments

• jlh.jpeg
      jlh.jpeg
      5.5 KB · Views: 436

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    If you google her "nude"... Oh my...!!! She's not shy about those...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I bought a Hybrid 46 thinking I would be getting the most bang for my buck with set ups for my 458 SOCOM, .308 Ruger Scout, Socom 16, HK USP45c and Masterpiece MPA30. I'm still deciding if I won that battle, but I can say this, I am very happy with my little GemTec .22 can, that thing on my 10/22 or 22/45 Lite is great!
    The Hybrid has some virtues not often mentioned, like the brake attachment, large can volume making it good on full-auto subguns, and the ability to be safely used on nearly all AKs (it has a bigger bore than the Dead Air Wolverine!). The only thing it genuinely excels in is flexibility, but to be fair, it's hands-down the best in that regard, at least for rifles.

I've got eight cans (including the one on my Maxim 9), and what I will tell you is that I really wish I had a rifle-caliber K-can. These big long cans are just not feasible for all day classes, and are only barely usable at shooting matches.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am going to throw in another suggestion:

https://www.wittmachine.net/ultra-c...er-valves/naughty-9-ultra-compact-suppressor/

The "naughty nine" and "freakin 45" are basically the same suppressor as the others, with a bigger bore. Its short and stout. It will not be as quiet as as one with more volume. However, it is rated for rifles, and mostly what you will hear is the sonic crack bouncing off the berm. The two main downsides: no piston/booster for pistols. However on your 9mm PCC its great. And also your AR15 or AR10. The other downside its that the process has to be completed the old fashioned way (fingerprint cards, no silencer shop option). But, its not an expensive suppressor.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So not sure if this helps, but what I am looking for

A can for .357 lever gun for hunting. That can do double duty with 6.5 Grendel and .308 for hunting. Ideally durable enough I can spend a fair amount of time on the range. Ability to be run on a 9mm PCC or handgun, as a pistol toy would be nice. Well, maybe a 9mm PCC to whack varmints (just as likely to use a .357 with 158gr subsonics).

Not really focused on maximum quietness. If it can make it hearing safe with subsonic 9mm and rifle rounds, great. Ideally it would be hearing safe with a .357 lever gun super sonic, 6.5G or .308 all the better. But I’d really only be taking one to maybe two or three shots, so if it’s just over 140dB...well that’s still a hell of a lot better than the probably 162-165dB I am suffering through now.

9mm is sort of an after thought TBH. More of a Kurtz or at least lighter weight can, that can be used with .357 diameter and smaller bullets with a rifle.

I probably will get a dedicate pistol can at some point, likely in .45.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    So not sure if this helps, but what I am looking for

A can for .357 lever gun for hunting. That can do double duty with 6.5 Grendel and .308 for hunting. Ideally durable enough I can spend a fair amount of time on the range. Ability to be run on a 9mm PCC or handgun, as a pistol toy would be nice. Well, maybe a 9mm PCC to whack varmints (just as likely to use a .357 with 158gr subsonics).

Not really focused on maximum quietness. If it can make it hearing safe with subsonic 9mm and rifle rounds, great. Ideally it would be hearing safe with a .357 lever gun super sonic, 6.5G or .308 all the better. But I’d really only be taking one to maybe two or three shots, so if it’s just over 140dB...well that’s still a hell of a lot better than the probably 162-165dB I am suffering through now.

9mm is sort of an after thought TBH. More of a Kurtz or at least lighter weight can, that can be used with .357 diameter and smaller bullets with a rifle.

I probably will get a dedicate pistol can at some point, likely in .45.
    If my goals were the same as yours and I could only get one suppressor, I would probably go with one of these two:

https://rexsilentium.com/MOD-X-Modular-Rifle-Suppressor-338-p180387771

(Hansohn Bros will give you 19% off with code COVID19 at checkout)

https://www.griffinarmament.com/bushwhacker-46-universal-sound-suppressor/

The Gen2 Bushwacker sounds really good for a universal type can. The Rex lets you shoot 9mm in the K config. Nice deep tone for rifles too.

My recommendations would change if you were looking for a .30 cal can and a pistol can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom