• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    We may have done this before, but not in the prep forum. I have been carrying the following in case of automotive problems on the road:

*Spare tire that’s regularly inspected
    *Basic tool assortment
    *Battery jump pack (will also charge phone)
    *Warm pair of coveralls and gloves
    *Military folding shovel
    *Tyvek suit in case I need to get dirty
    *Recovery strap (don’t ever hook a strap to the ball hitch! The ball will snap and become a cannonball!)
    *1 MRE
    *spare fuses
    *toilet paper (stores nice in a coffee can)
    *hidden spare key

Some things I want to add are:
    *hand tree saw
    *water

What is in your roadside emergency kit?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Same thing with the exception of MRE, Battery Jump pack. I always have a large blanket and jumper cables with a couple road flares, some rope a hatchet, ratchet binders and first aid kit that has one way CPR mask and tourniquet and lots of times a rifle and Wyoming saw. A few 120z bottles of water and plenty of black electrical tape pencils pens and paper.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    Most of what is listed above - plus a portable hydraulic jack, I picked up a Dewalt 1/2" impact driver with sockets, and a small portable DC powered air compressor. Never used it on my own car - knock on wood! - but I have helped out a bunch of others. I find it crazy that people either don't have a jack and a spare in their vehicles - or don't know how to change a flat.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Tourniquet pack
    Emergency blanket

Both take up no room and can be lifesavers.

I have also thought about a small section 1'x2' of carpet or 1'x1' plywood. These are for getting a solid base for a jack in case of very muddy conditions. Not sure I'm convinced though.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yea I got stranded in a snow storm about 6yrs ago and had to walk a few miles without winter clothing and regular loafers. I got home frozen and soaked. Since then I keep a change of cloths along with a hoodie and a pair of boots tucked under the rear seats. When I got my Explorer in 16 I realized it had a ton of space under the middle seats and rear cargo area. I’ve since added just about everything on your list along with the following.

First aid and trauma kit
    Fire Extinguisher
    Jump Start Battery Charger
    A gallon of drinking water plus a life straw and some purifying tablets
    Various knives and hand tools
    Some freeze dried food enough for 2 ppl for one day.
    Some emergency mylar blankets
    HT radio plus a cheap hand crank solar powered AM/FM weather radio.
    Flashlights
    Pepper Spray
    Some Emergency cash

Here is what it looks like with the seats up and my weatherbeater cargo cover removed.
    de544a2e09999b7bee9a76e123054a73.jpg

Here is with the seats in their normal position.
    37336d297295776c4c4a80db86062e7c.jpg

For work I carry a bunch of stuff that is normally in my car and would double for an emergency. I’ve got a Dewalt Li powered angle grinder, sawsall, impact driver, led light. Also carry additional bottled water, PPE gear and an AED.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Add a tube of tire slime the green stuff. It works and a cheap compressor you can plug into vehicle or hook to battery. They are slow but get the job done. I keep a set of fuel filters and some anti gel in my pickup.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    We may have done this before, but not in the prep forum. I have been carrying the following in case of automotive problems on the road:

*Spare tire that’s regularly inspected
    *Basic tool assortment
    *Battery jump pack (will also charge phone)
    *Warm pair of coveralls and gloves
    *Military folding shovel
    *Tyvek suit in case I need to get dirty
    *Recovery strap (don’t ever hook a strap to the ball hitch! The ball will snap and become a cannonball!)
    *1 MRE
    *spare fuses
    *toilet paper (stores nice in a coffee can)
    *hidden spare key

Some things I want to add are:
    *hand tree saw
    *water

What is in your roadside emergency kit?

I used to drive ~150 miles daily to work, to the,south side of DC, and was typically on the road home at 1-2 am, so I thought about this a lot.

All of above (minus tyvek suit), plus:

Jumper cables (redundant, but jump boxes have let me down)
    Tire plug kit
    Small 12v tire inflator (HD has a nice one, works well)
    Duct tape (useful for temp hose repair)
    Electrical tape (useful for darn near anything)
    Food other than MRE :) (granola bars, etc)
    1 or more flashlights
    Folding knife
    1 gal empty gas can (usually)
    Small pry bar or crow bar
    Leather work gloves

Winter weather:
    Change of pants
    Extra jacket
    Blanket or sleeping bag
    More hi cal food (nuts, candy bars)
    Salt or kitty litter

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Add a tube of tire slime the green stuff. It works and a cheap compressor you can plug into vehicle or hook to battery. They are slow but get the job done. I keep a set of fuel filters and some anti gel in my pickup.

I used to carry one from Horrible Fright, until I found this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-Volt-Inflator-HD12A/301753171

Much better made. Small, light, $32, comes with a carry bag. Have one in both my vehicles, plan on picking up another for wife. I like the plug kits better than the slime. With the pump and plugs you can fix most minor tire damage long enough to get to shop, without changing the tire.

If its a small hole in the middle of the tread area, one of those do-it-yourself plug repairs can last the life of the tire.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Pull off the side of the road as far as practically possible. It would be better to remove your self and vehicle from the more travelled roadway and onto an off/on ramp or even a parking lot than on the side of the road. I'd rather have a broken wheel or destroyed tire than be clipped on the side of the road.

Don't be penny wise, pound foolish.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Extinguisher. Look up Tundra extinguisher.

Something to break glass with. Something to cut seat belts with.

Trauma/IFAK kit.

Personal defense item/truck gun and spare mags for carry gun.

Water.

In winter, winter clothes. Shovel. Some things that look like they were cut out of tires/several plies of rubber, that roll up when not in use. They get unrolled and put under wheels for traction in mud or snow.

Basic survival stuff in a 50 cal ammo can. Includes DayTrex food bars and a couple mountain house.

A dog leash. Strays can be tough to corral or lead anywhere.

Jumper cables.

I had a 30 aircraft steel cable that I nicopressed eyes into either end. I coil that up. It’s fine in handy many times. 25k lb strength.

A tarp.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    My roadside kit has changed a bunch over the years. It was a get home back, then a full ruck sack when I was traveling all the time, now it's kind of a combo of both. When I've worked in ******** areas prone to rioting I even kept a some raggedy clothes so I could blend in with the drug addict homeless populace instead of looking like a upscale hipster white boy if I had to escape on foot. "hey man u got a dolla?"

Before making a list of specific items in a survival kit, make sure you satisfy the key areas of survival. Water, Shelter, Clothing Shelter, Fire (can you make it?), Light, Food, Tools,First Aid, Navigation, Self Defense, etc etc. Satisfying all of those areas a whole are more important than specific items. I make kits with various crap and I just think...."Fire...can I make it? Yep." Don't care as much if it's stormproof lighters, matches, whatever. The category is prepared. You can make cheap kits this way.

So go through it with that perspective and see what you will be missing. Most important to me is cold weather clothing, rain gear, flashlight (red lens cap is a plus), mini water filter, some food, self defense items, spare cash, map/compass, multitool, and of course my trauma kit.

I will add that I do like your idea of a hand saw. I would rather have that and a tiny swiss army knife than a pocket knife or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom