• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I know most if any on hete are not lawyer or police. But a lot know better then I where to find letter of law.

I own house in southetn md with1/2 acre corner lot.

Can I legealy carry my handgun open or preferred conceled while i am out in my yard?

CnC

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    You can carry a firearm, a 10th grade English text book, and a device with a spell check feature. All perfectly legal on your property :thumbsup:

Godspeed little buddy!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Absolutely legal.

And yes, we are assuming all the right things; like you are not a prohibited person, you are not a minor, not carrying to intimidate/threaten, etc.

And you are also correct that "we're" not attorneys, and even if "we" were, this isn't legal advice.

Having said all that, if more people started carrying, it would once again become the norm, like it already is in much of rural America and people don't take a second look or needlessly call the police. If someone does improperly call your local authorities, most likely an officer will respond to ask you a few basic questions. I recommend if this happens that you do not touch the gun, move slowly and speak calmly and clearly when you answer the officers questions. A polite "yes officer, I live here, this is my property and I am lawfully carrying a sidearm (for the same reason you are)." Comply immediately with any requests or commands. 99.9% of police will respond great; if they even feel it necessary to take the service call to check you out. But in the extremely unlikely even you are confronted by an officer who isn't properly trained, or got through the cracks - you may be treated differently.

Imagine if you were responding to a call and all you know is there is a man with a gun at X address; treat everyone you meet with respect and courtesy, especially those we allow and ask to protect us. I've participated in my local police 'ride along' program, we ask a lot of our officers; so please do feel free to exercise your rights, but don't be surprised if you don't get a courtesy call at some point. After all, Maryland has been out of touch for so long with regard to gun rights, it is still a little unusual in most areas to see someone open carrying, even on their own property. But the more who do it properly, the less likely anyone will have concern in the future.

Giving you and your question all the benefit of doubt:

Keep calm, and carry on.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    On your property, carry however you want. Do not step onto the sidewalk or a public right of way without a permit.

I wonder how many Montgomery County police would roll up in front of my home if I tried that. Not going to find out :D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The only thing good about owning a 500'+ shared driveway is I can walk by 4 more houses while carrying on the way to get my mail.
    And the mailbox is in public right of way.. Lol

Its only good until you get caught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom