• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Going to need a new safe this spring if I want to add any more long guns, but not too sure what to get. The issue I have is I'm not looking for anything 'fireproof' but want something that can hold at minimum 18 comfortably. From what I've read I should be looking for a safe that is advertised as being able to hold 30+ long guns. Haven't seen any that size without at least some fireproofing.

It's going to be on the second floor so weight is a bit of a concern to me, hopefully no more than 350-400lb. Floor space available is around 36"x18" but that is flexible.

Anyone have a recommendation of something that fits the bill? Budget isn't the biggest issue to me on this. Oh, and I prefer dial/combination over digital lock if that matters at all.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    The Silverado show is coming up at How Co Fairgrounds on Feb 21-22. A safe company from the Hagerstown area was at the last How Co show, last summer, and had a wide array of safes on display and they seemed reasonably priced. They have one that I considered...it came in large panels that you assemble, is not fireproof but gets the job done nonetheless. It might be one you'd want to consider for that second floor location.

Lew--Ranger63

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I hear they have a special on a slightly damaged Canon safe at the Somerset, PA Tractor Supply.:lol2:

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    The Silverado show is coming up at How Co Fairgrounds on Feb 21-22. A safe company from the Hagerstown area was at the last How Co show, last summer, and had a wide array of safes on display and they seemed reasonably priced. They have one that I considered...it came in large panels that you assemble, is not fireproof but gets the job done nonetheless. It might be one you'd want to consider for that second floor location.

Lew--Ranger63

I've seen those online before but not sure how secure they really are. It's worth checking out though, thanks for the recommendation.

I hear they have a special on a slightly damaged Canon safe at the Somerset, PA Tractor Supply.:lol2:

I don't get it? :shrug:

What price range?

If I could stay around $5-600 I'd be happy but anything up to $800 is something I'd consider.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    You just missed a safe that home depot had on it online one day sale. Buffola 32 gun safe that is $1,050 and was in sale for $789 with free delivery

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The Silverado show is coming up at How Co Fairgrounds on Feb 21-22. A safe company from the Hagerstown area was at the last How Co show, last summer, and had a wide array of safes on display and they seemed reasonably priced.

I've only seen Mike Thompson (Thompson Safes, Frederick) at Silverado shows. If there was a dealer there from Hagerstown, sounds like R. J. Lock on Jefferson Blvd.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe

Don't think I ever even noticed that part of the forum. Looks like I'm not going to do anything productive tonight haha.

You just missed a safe that home depot had on it online one day sale. Buffola 32 gun safe that is $1,050 and was in sale for $789 with free delivery

Unfortunately this is the first day I started looking for one, missed a couple good sales recently it seems. Won't have the funds for another 3-4 weeks anyway, just gathering info for now.

Hjaalmarch

Jan 7, 2014
    I have a 22-gun StackOn with an electronic lock. It's worked good for me so far - I only have 3 guns at the moment, but it has lots of shelves and stuff for gear/ammo.

I got it on Amazon, and with Prime, it only cost me $400 - including delivery.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Don't think I ever even noticed that part of the forum. Looks like I'm not going to do anything productive tonight haha.

It a a whole new world that will consume large portions of your consciousness :lol2:

Seriously though, it is not viewable until you hit 50 posts ;)

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

Unfortunately this is the first day I started looking for one, missed a couple good sales recently it seems. Won't have the funds for another 3-4 weeks anyway, just gathering info for now.

You couldn't get to that part of the forum until you reached 50 post. Sorry to have a little fun at your expense but it is what many of us do here.

Don't get in a hurry to buy. Sales come up all the time. If you are handy and can build your own interior cab then contact Safe Cracker here by PM. He always seems to have a good deal on used .gov safes that are far superior to what you can buy in most local stores.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think Tractor Supply usually puts their safes on sale soon. It may have already happened but I thought they discounted all of their safe early in the year.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

gutshootem

Feb 27, 2013
    Calvert
    There's usually a couple different companies set up at the harrisburg show. I never checked prices but they always have "show specials" advertised and they usually sell a lot of safes.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

'Free delivery' from the big-box stores usally means liftgate service. They drop it in front of your garage door. When comparing prices with a trues safe vendor, take into account that their delivery may include hauling it to the second floor.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You know it's tough when you can't find a gun safe on Craigslist. Usually, you can find a couple worth buying.

Jim Smith

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    I have a 22-gun StackOn with an electronic lock. It's worked good for me so far - I only have 3 guns at the moment, but it has lots of shelves and stuff for gear/ammo.

I got it on Amazon, and with Prime, it only cost me $400 - including delivery.

I currently have a cheaper StackOn safe and while I'm comfortable keeping inexpensive rimfire rifles in it I want something more substantial for the centerfire ones and shotguns I've been accumulating.

It a a whole new world that will consume large portions of your consciousness :lol2:

Seriously though, it is not viewable until you hit 50 posts ;)

That would explain it. Stupid new forum of fun...

You couldn't get to that part of the forum until you reached 50 post. Sorry to have a little fun at your expense but it is what many of us do here.

Don't get in a hurry to buy. Sales come up all the time. If you are handy and can build your own interior cab then contact Safe Cracker here by PM. He always seems to have a good deal on used .gov safes that are far superior to what you can buy in most local stores.

All good, I can see it now but didn't notice the new option at first. I'm somewhat handy with woodworking so not too concerned about the interior, just want a good quality, big steel box with a quality combo lock. I can do the interior (shelving/barrel rests) myself.

There's usually a couple different companies set up at the harrisburg show. I never checked prices but they always have "show specials" advertised and they usually sell a lot of safes.

I don't have a pickup so unless they offer delivery I'm out of luck with that option.

'Free delivery' from the big-box stores usally means liftgate service. They drop it in front of your garage door. When comparing prices with a trues safe vendor, take into account that their delivery may include hauling it to the second floor.

I'm fine with driveway service, I'll move the heavy sumbi*** upstairs myself or with a couple others. Being 23 with friends my age helps a bit haha. Also anyone in central MD who needs help moving something let me know, always willing to help if I'm not at work at the time.

You know it's tough when you can't find a gun safe on Craigslist. Usually, you can find a couple worth buying.

Jim Smith

I hadn't even thought to check there, will now though. How hard is it to reset the code in a dial/combo safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom