• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    That's where I've learned the most about them so far. Debating swapping out the rear elevator sight for a peep, going to wait and see how well I do with it first before deciding. Only other changes I may make in the future are getting the cnc break, adding a side rail, and picking up a fixed stock. For now I'll shoot the rifle how it came and go from there.

Came with 5 mags. All blocked to 10 but a quick trip up to PA solves that problem :D BBPawn also has extra mags for $25 each.

No bayonet but I'm trying to find one for a decent price.
    Thanks for the tip about the mags at BBPawn. After you install that CNC brake you may forget all about wanting that fixed stock, unless you just want it for the looks.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Thanks for the tip about the mags at BBPawn. After you install that CNC brake you may forget all about wanting that fixed stock, unless you just want it for the looks.

Does the CNC brake really make that much of a difference compared to the slant brake? Fixed stock would be dependent on the accuracy of the rifle. The folder locks up tight and seems like it should be fine but we'll see.

Also, how does everyone's rifle do with different types of ammo? I'm considering getting some FMJ, HP, and SP all at the same time but if either/both of the last two won't feed reliably I'd rather skip them.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Does the CNC brake really make that much of a difference compared to the slant brake? Fixed stock would be dependent on the accuracy of the rifle. The folder locks up tight and seems like it should be fine but we'll see.

Also, how does everyone's rifle do with different types of ammo? I'm considering getting some FMJ, HP, and SP all at the same time but if either/both of the last two won't feed reliably I'd rather skip them.

A good brake like this CNC http://www.cncwarrior.com/Knurled-Compensator-M14-X-1-RH-p/23263.htm makes a world of difference on these rifles, at least it did for me. When I first fired mine, i rated it as uncomfortable to be kind. After putting a brake on it and some padding on the stock, it's a pleasure to shoot. I'd say comparable to an AR15 HBAR carbine. BTW before using the brake above, I also tried this model http://www.cncwarrior.com/product-p/22906.htm. It's about equal in effectiveness and a few dollars cheaper, but almost an inch longer.

I have tried the HP and SP ammo that various steel-case manufacturers produce and had no problems at all with them, however the cavity and SP diameter on those rounds is pretty small compared to what you see on some domestically made hunting bullets. I've never bothered firing any of the high-$ brass cased 7.62x39 so can't comment on how they'd handle any kind of exotic or extreme HP/SP round.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    A good brake like this CNC http://www.cncwarrior.com/Knurled-Compensator-M14-X-1-RH-p/23263.htm makes a world of difference on these rifles, at least it did for me. When I first fired mine, i rated it as uncomfortable to be kind. After putting a brake on it and some padding on the stock, it's a pleasure to shoot. I'd say comparable to an AR15 HBAR carbine. BTW before using the brake above, I also tried this model http://www.cncwarrior.com/product-p/22906.htm. It's about equal in effectiveness and a few dollars cheaper, but almost an inch longer.

I have tried the HP and SP ammo that various steel-case manufacturers produce and had no problems at all with them, however the cavity and SP diameter on those rounds is pretty small compared to what you see on some domestically made hunting bullets. I've never bothered firing any of the high-$ brass cased 7.62x39 so can't comment on how they'd handle any kind of exotic or extreme HP/SP round.

I think the shorter one looks a bit better, and if they perform similarly the couple dollars difference wouldn't really matter to me. Just saw the same site also lists a bayonet for the vz58 at $26 on sale. Not sure if that's a good price or not.

I don't see a need for high cost ammo in 7.62x39 either. Wolf MC in all three are the same cost so figure I'll get some of each to see if one groups better than the others. I wouldn't be hunting with it, got other calibers/rifles for that.

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County

I have tried the HP and SP ammo that various steel-case manufacturers produce and had no problems at all with them, however the cavity and SP diameter on those rounds is pretty small compared to what you see on some domestically made hunting bullets. I've never bothered firing any of the high-$ brass cased 7.62x39 so can't comment on how they'd handle any kind of exotic or extreme HP/SP round.[/QUOTE ]

I think the shorter one looks a bit better, and if they perform similarly the couple dollars difference wouldn't really matter to me. Just saw the same site also lists a bayonet for the vz58 at $26 on sale. Not sure if that's a good price or not.

I don't see a need for high cost ammo in 7.62x39 either. Wolf MC in all three are the same cost so figure I'll get some of each to see if one groups better than the others. I wouldn't be hunting with it, got other calibers/rifles for that.

I have that compensator on my folder and it works really well. The felt recoil is just a tadbit > M1 Carbine, imo. With my fixed stock, the recoil is on par with a M1 Carbine.
    Stick with the low cost steel ammo because it will run steel casing all day.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    A good brake like this CNC http://www.cncwarrior.com/Knurled-Compensator-M14-X-1-RH-p/23263.htm makes a world of difference on these rifles, at least it did for me. When I first fired mine, i rated it as uncomfortable to be kind. After putting a brake on it and some padding on the stock, it's a pleasure to shoot.

I am going to second this recommendation. The gun was a little harsh out of the box. Putting the CNC comp on it, tamed it nicely. I also put the fixed stock on, and that helped me as well. The cheek weld on the metal folder was terrible for me. The fixed stock helps with the cheek weld to some degree, although it is no miracle worker. Friends that have shot my VZ complained about the recoil on their face. Do what you want. Just making sure you have enough feedback to make a balanced decision.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    The CNC warrior brake works extremely well, although their AK-74 style one in a 14/1 RH thread works slightly better on this rifle.

Sent one of each of them to get melonited with the rifle.

Waste of time, they came back looking literally EXACTLY the same.

I thought they didn't really do the brakes until I tried to scratch them

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    The CNC warrior brake works extremely well, although their AK-74 style one in a 14/1 RH thread works slightly better on this rifle.

Sent one of each of them to get melonited with the rifle.

Waste of time, they came back looking literally EXACTLY the same.

I thought they didn't really do the brakes until I tried to scratch them

Would love to see a thread with pointers or a link to info on what needs to be done to melonite once of these rifles, or rifles in general. Is a vz2008 with about 2000 rounds through it a good candidate for nitriding, or would a new, unfired one be better? How far down do you have to disassemble the rifle?

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Haven't seen high rock post anything new but BBpawn just posted he has then again, but for $625. I think the price increase is indicative of limited stock

Yes, limited supply and having to add our extra mags and mag pouches add to the price.

Thanks
    Dan

Sirex