• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Which rifle should I get currently and why? Any major factors in favor of one vs the other? Any other semi-auto rifles I should be considering in the sub $700 range?

Right now I only have the funds to get one of them and can't decide which. Most of what I hear about both is good, price on them isn't far enough apart to be an issue. Supply of the vz seems to be drying up so I'm leaning that direction, but it'd be my only 7.62x39 which is what's holding me back.

Haven't seen any indication that supply of the M77 will be an issue in the future, but it's currently on sale from Classic. The more powerful chambering is a plus to me, and I already have a .308 bolt gun so it's not another ammo to stock.

The rifle will mostly just be a range toy and something different for me. I have an AR rifle and am not looking for a pistol caliber carbine at this time so not considering either of these options. Thoughts?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Haha okay... why do you say that?

Because I have one and I love it. I also like to diversify so buying the m77 just because you already have guns in that caliber is the exact opposite of what I'd do. Plus, like you alluded to, the VZ stock is starting to dry up and if you ever want a vz58 you'll be doubling your price range ;)

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    M77 is nice, but is too expensive to shoot for me. I like vz2008 when first got it but after a while, there were some slight problems and I didnt like the look without full mods it was sold.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I'd go with the vz2008. High Rock Outfitters is an IP here, located in PA and so is able to sell them with unmodified 30 round mags. I believe Gary recently said that the next batch he gets may be the last because Century is running out of parts kits. I like them so much I bought a second. The cheap ammo is a real plus too.

I understand Century is now building some rifles (probably all AK style) completely within the USA. It would be nice if they could add the VZ2008 to their US-made line too.

WRATHCHILD

Dec 24, 2014
    They are both awesome guns. You will get alot more power and accuracy out of the M77. They also have side rails. You can add a side rail to the VZ. You can also still buy the Vepr line of rifles. They do cost more but you can shoot surplus 54r cheaper than x39. The Veprs are very well balanced. The money you save shooting a 54r will pay for another gun. It would be cool if Zastava made a 54r sporter.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Because I have one and I love it. I also like to diversify so buying the m77 just because you already have guns in that caliber is the exact opposite of what I'd do. Plus, like you alluded to, the VZ stock is starting to dry up and if you ever want a vz58 you'll be doubling your price range ;)

That's fair. I only typically shoot and stock 4 rifle calibers currently so adding a fifth wouldn't be a huge deal to me, I just don't want to end up with 10+ eventually.

M77 is nice, but is too expensive to shoot for me. I like vz2008 when first got it but after a while, there were some slight problems and I didnt like the look without full mods it was sold.

What problems did you experience with it? Only mod I could see myself doing would be to get a fixed stock for it, but that depends on how comfortable I find the folding one.

I'd go with the vz2008. High Rock Outfitters is an IP here, located in PA and so is able to sell them with unmodified 30 round mags. I believe Gary recently said that the next batch he gets may be the last because Century is running out of parts kits. I like them so much I bought a second. The cheap ammo is a real plus too.

I understand Century is now building some rifles (probably all AK style) completely within the USA. It would be nice if they could add the VZ2008 to their US-made line too.

I'm between them and Baltimore's Best Pawn, just saw the latter got some more in today. I'd like to compare the rifles side-by-side but not sure if either dealer has both currently. I'll be calling both to check on that tomorrow.

They are both awesome guns. You will get alot more power and accuracy out of the M77. They also have side rails. You can add a side rail to the VZ. You can also still buy the Vepr line of rifles. They do cost more but you can shoot surplus 54r cheaper than x39. The Veprs are very well balanced. The money you save shooting a 54r will pay for another gun. It would be cool if Zastava made a 54r sporter.

If you have both, how does the accuracy compare between them? I've read pretty varied reports but not sure what to really take from each as it's always different shooters. Haha I would really like a Vepr but can't swing that kind of budget right now. It's definitely on the list to get one day though.

vz 30 round mags go for about $30. m77 mags are $75 for 20 rounders.

I'm not terribly concerned about getting additional mags, I've read about a fair number of mods to make M14 and other mags work for the M77. The number of mags the VZ comes with for the price point definitely works in its favor.

Feb 28, 2013
    Like Lsw said, VZ parts kits are getting scarce. So I'd go that route.

Plus, the VZ2008 is one of Century's better builds.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Id go VZ, plus intermediate calibers are fun. Sure we all like raw power but the control and comfortable shooting of an intermediate caliber is definitely a plus. 7.62*39 is highly underrated and can give you a great shooting experience.

Plus its inexpensive.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm a vz fan; High Rock had a few in stock last week. $500 I think.

Haven't seen high rock post anything new but BBpawn just posted he has then again, but for $625. I think the price increase is indicative of limited stock

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Both ;) but I'd buy the vz2008 first. Supposedly CAI has stopped production on them so whatever is out the is what's left.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I'm a vz fan; High Rock had a few in stock last week. $500 I think.

This. The VZ is going away. You can ALWAYS get a M77 as they are still in production.

Also recommend High Rock Gary is great to deal with, a man of his word.

Do not pass Hanover, do not collect your VZ from anyone else. :D

If you can find it in under $600 you will be lucky. I have already seen the prices creep over that. Supply and Demand work. But they are NOT working for YOU at this very moment. :rolleyes:

*** Addendum ***

I checked High Rock's page, those VZs may have since dried up. Gary had indicated they were getting very scarce. You can PM him and he will tell you what he is thinking on these.

Sirex