• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Got my c&r license recently and my first purchase was a CZ82 from Docster. Took it out to the range the other day and had a great time, it's my first and currently only centerfire handgun. Now I've caught the bug I just can't decide what to get next.

I see P64's, tokarevs, and Star B's available several places online but what else is available in the $350 and below range? Are there any IP's that typically have some c&r options on hand?

I know the 'get one of each' reply will probably come up but can't afford that currently. And not really looking for any rifles right now except for an older Marlin levergun in vg or better shape.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    It's a hard call, but I'd probably go for the P-64 next. It's probably my least favorite of the ones that you mention, but you can find them now for a good price and in good condition. I think they may be starting to dry up.

I'd definitely go with a Star B next ... and soon ... followed soon after by a Pol and a Rom Tok.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If you'd like 9mm and easy to get online, As mentioned, Star B. Another option is a Walther P1 from SOG. I got a P1 handpick from SOG and its so darn reliable and pretty easy to break down. I've been delaying (foolishly?) a P64 and hoping the CZ-50 comes back available in surplus.

Jul 1, 2012
    I second the P1 (or post-war P38 if you're lucky). Several vendors have them.
    As Melnic said, these are very robust (well, the fat slide/hex pin guns are), reliable, and easy to field strip. The only issues are typically with the safety/decocker.

PSA - don't shoot hot and/or heavy ammo in a P1/P38 (+P etc).

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I'm for any of the above.... good standards and fun to shoot (well, maybe not the P-64, but that can be improved to some extent). If you are comfortable with online auctions, look for some C&R handguns on GB. Older CZs, Berettas, and quality wheel guns are out there for 3 bills or so if you look hard enough. Shopping when it is 34 degrees and raining is almost as much fun and shooting (ok, maybe not, but it is fun).

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    I'd definitely go with a Star B next ... and soon ... followed soon after by a Pol and a Rom Tok.

This.

Tho, make sure and request/find a blued one. The parkerized ones mostly seem to be remodeled Model As. Model A's were primarily designed for 9mm Largo, so there have been feed problems with them, post-remodel, feeding brass-cased 9mm Luger.

ETA: However, my mixmaster '44 Mauser P-38 is laser accurate and one of my best shooters (third after a Browning Hi-Power and my '45 Star B). Wartime mixer P-38's can be pretty cheap.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    After reading replies here and doing a bit more research, decided I'm going to get the P64 next. Now the question is to get it from SOG or JG, and if JG to get good or vg? Is the difference worth the extra cost, and would handpick be worthwhile?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    After reading replies here and doing a bit more research, decided I'm going to get the P64 next. Now the question is to get it from SOG or JG, and if JG to get good or vg? Is the difference worth the extra cost, and would handpick be worthwhile?

SOG has never done me wrong and almost always done me right. I don't know whether the hand-picked option makes a difference but I always pay the $10-$20 extra just in case it does.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would probably grab Tok as they are still pretty cheap, followed by a P1 if you can still get one. the P1 will be the most comfortable shooter.

JG Star B's are ok but not pristine by any standard.

Jul 1, 2012
    Don't necessarily limit yourself to one of the distributors (SOG etc).
    If you're not in any particular hurry, it's fun to hunt and track what you want on the various interweb auction sites.
    You will typically see exactly the gun you will receive -
    esp the state of finish and the size of the import mark (size does matter :) ).

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I am Surprised SOG has the P1s still....since I bought mine almost two years ago, none of the other places have ever had them in stock that I have seen. I think once SOG runs out, that will drive the price up some. They are neat, and I think a hell of a deal at tree fiddy.

Tokarevs are great and I would suggest a Polish first out of the Yugo/Romanian/Polish that are currently available.

I got a park'd Star B from Century and while it is nice and a good shooter, it wont eat brass ammo reliably. I would probably order a more beat up blued one from J&G if I had it to do over.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Blued Star Bs aren't guaranteed from J&G.

I would complain to them if I didn't get a Blued one... they state they are blued in the description.... I assume they got them from Century, but maybe they picked out blued ones only.

J&G description....

This is the Star Echeverria Modelo B semi auto pistol in 9mm (the standard 9mm, also called 9x19, 9mm Luger, or 9mm Parabellum, or 9mm .08). It is a single action pistol made in Spain during the WWII era. They have a blued finish and the grips are either wood and/or composite checkered grips. Frame style may vary slightly at toe of grip. Includes cleaning rod, and 2ea 8rd mags. Used in Good to Very Good condition and will show some wear and some dings, and some corners of the rear sight may be flattened. These pistols are Curio & Relic eligible.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    I second the P1 (or post-war P38 if you're lucky). Several vendors have them.
    As Melnic said, these are very robust (well, the fat slide/hex pin guns are), reliable, and easy to field strip. The only issues are typically with the safety/decocker.

PSA - don't shoot hot and/or heavy ammo in a P1/P38 (+P etc).

SOMD, In SOGs description, they say "steel cross pin avail on request" does that = the hex pin you mention above?

Jul 1, 2012
    SOMD, In SOGs description, they say "steel cross pin avail on request" does that = the hex pin you mention above?

I believe so.
    These were retro-fitted to older frames sometimes when they went through arsenal refurb.
    I'm not a post-war P1 expert but I think they became standard well after 1964 (same with the "fat" slide).
    BTW - There is a lot of argument about whether "all" P1/P38 are C&R or only by date.
    No ATF ruling on it being "all" and they are not on the lists.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-classics/20702-p-1-questions-fat-slides-hex-pins-3.html
    second post down shows a lot of pics comparing an earlier post-war to later (hex & fat slide vs not).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom