• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    While I wouldn't go this far, it's hard to recommend the SU-16 when ARs are super cheap. The main thing to recommend for the SU-16 is how extremely light it is; unfortunately, that involves some trade-offs.

That's why it's an opinion. Others don't have to agree with it.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I'd say the SKS.

With that $850 you can get one for $300 easy and have the rest to buy several cases of 7.62x39. It is cheaper overall to maintain, stripper clips are a $1 each at most, plus it is a real deal rifle that hasn't been neutered by our federal and state laws.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    I've decided to pursue an HBAR within my price range, so the next month will be checking out various models and their differences for the price. Haven't found any under $900 with a Wylde chamber so far. How important is 223 vs 556 vs wylde for accuracy at 300yd max?

From what I've read the 6.5 and 6.8 are equal or superior to the 7.62x39 so later I'll decide between the two of them for a second upper instead of a completely separate rifle.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Check out the Stag 3G. It's more expensive than what you want to spend but if you figure out a way to afford it you won't regret it. Take it from someone who has bought the cheaper version only to upgrade later. If I were starting over fewer guns of higher quality would be the path I would take. Good luck whatever you choose.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Chamber - 5.56 is going to do you plenty fine out to 300. .223Rem limits you to .223Rem ammo, but is still going to do the job at 300. Wylde is supposedly the best for accuracy while being able to accommodate .223 and 5.56 rounds.

Honestly, if it's 300 yards max, stick with the 5.56 chamber and save some money. JMO.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Chamber - 5.56 is going to do you plenty fine out to 300. .223Rem limits you to .223Rem ammo, but is still going to do the job at 300. Wylde is supposedly the best for accuracy while being able to accommodate .223 and 5.56 rounds.

Honestly, if it's 300 yards max, stick with the 5.56 chamber and save some money. JMO.

I agree with Brad. Stick to a 5.56 chamber. You'll have more options in guns to chose from, ammo (223 & 5.56), and it will keep you in budget. A Wylde chamber is more commonly found on 18"+ bench rifles setup to shoot past 300yds.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Check out the Stag 3G. It's more expensive than what you want to spend but if you figure out a way to afford it you won't regret it. Take it from someone who has bought the cheaper version only to upgrade later. If I were starting over fewer guns of higher quality would be the path I would take. Good luck whatever you choose.

Is there much difference in quality between one that's $850 and $1000?

The max distance is just based on my shooting ability. In time it'd be fun to try and push it a bit further but that isn't a concern for me right now.

I agree with Brad. Stick to a 5.56 chamber. You'll have more options in guns to chose from, ammo (223 & 5.56), and it will keep you in budget. A Wylde chamber is more commonly found on 18"+ bench rifles setup to shoot past 300yds.

Works for me, any other minor differences between various models that I should look for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom