• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Currently saving up for a new rifle and trying to decide between an sks, a VZ2008, or a lower end AR such as the M&P Sport. I'd like to stay at or below $850 for the rifle. Not really sure which chambering and rifle would better fit my intended uses.

It'd be used for mostly paper punching but possibly hunting as well. Already have bolt guns in 308 and 22lr, looking for a semi-auto chambered in something between them. From what I've read both 223 and 7.62x39 are effective for up to deer size game with proper shot placement and choice of round.

Ideally I'll eventually get one of each, but which would you recommend first and why? Or is there another option that would be a better fit? Thanks.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    My vote would be AR.

It's MD. Eventually all AR's will be banned. Get one now.

I wouldn't hunt deer with an AR, especially already having a 308.

Good luck.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Currently saving up for a new rifle and trying to decide between an sks, a VZ2008, or a lower end AR such as the M&P Sport. I'd like to stay at or below $850 for the rifle. Not really sure which chambering and rifle would better fit my intended uses.

It'd be used for mostly paper punching but possibly hunting as well. Already have bolt guns in 308 and 22lr, looking for a semi-auto chambered in something between them. From what I've read both 223 and 7.62x39 are effective for up to deer size game with proper shot placement and choice of round.

Ideally I'll eventually get one of each, but which would you recommend first and why? Or is there another option that would be a better fit? Thanks.

Welp - I am not sure if the M&P Sport is HBAR or not but if its not and you live in MD you can forget about the AR. I think you can still get an SKS VZ 2008. I do have an SKS which I like...its a great gun, but I have no experience with the VZ

Last edited:

johnb007

Jul 6, 2011
    VZ2008 is fantastic. I took mine out today, and after 300 rounds, I think I want to buy a 2nd one! You can't get an AK47 in MD, but you can get that VZ2008, which seems to be just as good.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I'd go for the AR if you don't already have one. There's way more aftermarket support for AR's if you ever want to customize it. But in that price range you can do better than an M&P Sport in my opinion. Take a look at Windham Weaponry's HBAR AR15. It's a solid AR.

Just my .02c

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Any hunting done with the rifle would likely be varmints, I'd use the 308 for anything bigger. Never hunted coyotes before but am interested in it and may try next year, but I don't trust a 22 to do the job humanely and 308 seems excessive for the task.

I've shot a friend's M&P and liked it, not sure what other HBARs are available near that price. And is there anything a lower end AR is really lacking that would be necessary for my uses? Realistically shots on paper would be no more than 300yds and while hunting no more than 150yds if that makes a difference.

johnb2007 how's the accuracy of your VZ?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd go for the AR if you don't already have one. There's way more aftermarket support for AR's if you ever want to customize it. But in that price range you can do better than an M&P Sport in my opinion. Take a look at Windham Weaponry's HBAR AR15. It's a solid AR.

Just my .02c

Agreed.

S&W sells a shyt-load of the M&P series, but Windham makes a solid performer too.

As for hunting - A complete 6.8SPC upper can be had for less than $600, better punch than a .223/5.56 and better ballistics than x39. Just something to consider as well.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Agreed.

S&W sells a shyt-load of the M&P series, but Windham makes a solid performer too.

As for hunting - A complete 6.8SPC upper can be had for less than $600, better punch than a .223/5.56 and better ballistics than x39. Just something to consider as well.

I'll look at the specs for the M&P compared to the Windham, and try to find other brands in that price range. If I buy one in 223 can I later swap the upper with one in 6.8SPC as long as it's an HBAR as well?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll look at the specs for the M&P compared to the Windham, and try to find other brands in that price range. If I buy one in 223 can I later swap the upper with one in 6.8SPC as long as it's an HBAR as well?

Yep, just need to find a 6.8 mag, which are available in MD legal and uber-evil capacities.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm

Just my .02c

Gun Connection has been running some decent sales on these recently, might be worth checking out.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Gun Connection has been running some decent sales on these recently, might be worth checking out.

2A Sales is much closer to the OP (maybe 20-25 mins away) and they also carry Windham Weaponry.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Yep, just need to find a 6.8 mag, which are available in MD legal and uber-evil capacities.

I'd just go to PA or VA for standard capacity mags, maybe get one 10rd mag for prone if it'd make a difference.

2A Sales is much closer to the OP (maybe 20-25 mins away) and they also carry Windham Weaponry.

Any chance one dealer would be willing to match another's price for a particular model? There's a few places within 30min of me, which is fine if the service and price is right.

Sirex