• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abraxaslotus

Jan 8, 2012
    Cecil County
    Hello fellow members. I got this 1938 tula mosin a few years back for $160 (thought that was pricey then :rolleyes:). I see we got a bunch of mosin experts on here and I am sorta of a history nut. Just wanted to see what you guys and gals could tell me about it. Have a bad rust spot under import mark and this black paint seems to be on spots where rust was in the past, obvious refurb. The bore is excellent, slayed several deer with it. Most accurate mosin I have ever shot!

Last edited:

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    Well, I like it. Nice thing about the prewar 91/30's is that they better finished than the post 1942 ones.(they however have their own charm) Granted the Soviet's idea of a smooth finish and that of some of the other arms makers (the Swiss come to mind) are entirely at different ends of the spectrum. The big old Tula 'Star' just shouts "I Serve the Soviet Union" Very nice piece.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    The parts with the circled R are made by Remington. An early Liberty Arms import, their more recent imports say Victoria TX. The square stamped over the No. symbol indicates it has been through arsenal refurbishment, and because it was prewar, the fit and finish tends to be better. The real nice part about these are the much smaller import marks, rather than being those huge "billboard" marks on most recent imports.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    thanks for the input guys! Yeah is a excellent rifles. But would a Remington stamp be on a 1938 rifle? I thought they were all ww1 contract?

Yes, but parts were often swapped around and force matched as part of the refurb process. You have some ww1 era bolt assembly part(s) in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom