Campgrounds with orv trails within 2hrs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 17, 2009
    Looking for some campgrounds with cabins with atv/dirtbike trails and and a shooting range within 2 hours of Baltimore. We did the cove a few months back and they drained our wallets,charged for everything and the trails werent that great. Any suggestions?

elmerjr128

Mar 15, 2011
    GWNF (George Washington National Forest) in VA near the WV line. Plenty of spots to set up camp (free) and tons of trails to ride (free). I suggest the areas surrounding Reddish Knob.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i thought the couple of specific dirt bike/atv trails in the GWNF all had $5 daily fees? not that that is expensive, but getting a ticket because you didn't get the permit probably is expensive.

the closest one to you in the GW will be taskers gap/peters mill which is a ways below winchester off of i-81. not sure if they allow camping, i don't recall seeing that but it could be legal.

unfortunately i don't think you will find the trail systems in the GW much more enjoyable than the cove, pretty rough and rocky, but they are less rocky than the cove, which tops my list of the least enjoyable terrain i have ridden.

looking back at your post, no shooting ranges that i'm aware of at or near the trail systems.

elmerjr128

Mar 15, 2011
    No permit needed in GWNF off Rt 33 west of Harrisonburg. Also a shooting range (free as well) right off 33. Head to Switzer Lake, find a spot to set up camp, and hit the trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom