• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Tactical RX (Sports Optical) out of Colorado does this. They do it through the mail and its Surprisingly easy to set up

I've used Tactical Rx on two occasions for shooting glasses and tactical prescription eye-ware. Easy to recommend a quality company that is responsive and easy to work with. With their Ranger frames you can switch lenses for different types of shooting as well. Lenses pop in and out without much difficulty-

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    WRT shooting, a lot depends on what you want to do. For the precision disciplines, I have a lens for my shooting eye that puts the focus precisely on the front sight. Sight alignment is critical. Everything else is incidental. For self-defense, I honestly recommend a good red dot.

I'll add that the iron sights on most American pistols are lousy. The Soviets did a lot of research on this for their Olympic shooters, and found that the best results generally came with a ratio of light-to-front sight-to-light of 1:2:1. American guns tend to be 1:4:1, or worse...narrow strips of light on each side of the front sight. Tolerable for young eyes, unacceptable for the shooter in his 40s or older.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    G19 sights.jpg

SW 360 sights.jpg

EDC.jpg

Damn nice rig for a clown:D I'll have to look into that Trijicon.

Here's my set up with high viz sights on a G19 w/Trijicon and S&W 360 w/XS Big Dot.

I tried to get some low light shots but it did not work.

In a nutshell in daylight you get a big orange or yellow or white front sight that really stands out.

At low light or night they glow green:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

IIRC both were give or take around 100, and money well spent for me. Greatly improved my defense shooting scores.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Can you translate that to "jive" for me??
    Very interested, but not sure I understand.

The Soviets did a lot of research on this for their Olympic shooters, and found that the best results generally came with a ratio of light-to-front sight-to-light of 1:2:1. American guns tend to be 1:4:1, or worse...narrow strips of light on each side of the front sight. Tolerable for young eyes, unacceptable for the shooter in his 40s or older.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    That is exactly what I do. I make glasses for people to specifically see the front site! Hence my company is called: Front Site Eyewear (Glasses for Shooting and Sports). Call me at: 410-336-3600

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    1:2:1 means looking through the rear notch the strip of light on either side of the front sight would be half as wide as the front sight.
    1:4:1 would mean each strip of light is 1/4th the front sight width.

Throw in the front sight width for desired precision and target appearance relative to the sights.

Cobol2Java

Feb 10, 2020
    Lothian
    My eyes aint what they used to be.
    Reading is a choir without glasses, but "doable" if I hold the book away.
    Distance is ok. Each eye on it's own is marginal for distance, but somehow together they make a good picture.

All my long guns are scoped.

That brings me to pistols,, just getting back into pistol shooting.

cant focus on the sights.
    My understanding is lasik surgery would correct my vision for distance and I would need reading glasses?

What is the answer,, I am thinking a reflex/ red dot??
    I know there those older than me struggling with this,, whats your answer ??
    I had cataracts in both eyes in my 50s. After surgery, my vision improved significantly, but of course with the artificial lens implants, you need reading glasses if you want to do close-up stuff (distance is OK). I still wear glasses to even my vision out (R eye is now 20/20 with the implant, L is 20/50). That's fine since before the surgery I was extremely nearsighted.

My biggest complaint is having to wear these damned masks - in addition to being hot when firing at the range, they like to fog up my glasses.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Regular Bifocals or progressives won't work because the part that you need to focus on the front site is on the bottom. So you have to raise your head up to make the front site clear. You need a specific focal distance on the top of the lens so you can see the front site clearly. Then you need the bottom of the lens set for distance so you can see the target clearly. Not brain surgery. Just upside down from normal. That is exactly what I have been doing for shooters for years. You will see the front site with crystal clarity! No need to reinvent the wheel. Call/text me: 410-336-3600

Trauma915

Oct 4, 2019
    Old eyes!

Same problem with aging eyes.
    Dry fire practice the draw and straight punch out on a target at home over and over. Focus on front sight to target until its instinctual. 90% of you problems will dissolve with constant practice.
    Nearing 60 yrs old now and wearing "Hubble" progressive lens. Fixing to upgrade to tritium possibly Ameriglo or Truglo sights.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    1:2:1 means looking through the rear notch the strip of light on either side of the front sight would be half as wide as the front sight.
    1:4:1 would mean each strip of light is 1/4th the front sight width.

Throw in the front sight width for desired precision and target appearance relative to the sights.

Exactly. If you look at the sights on an Olympic-grade target pistol, they are great, big things. Wide front sight. Rear sight notch also wide (and usually adjustable for width as well as elevation and windage). Massive difference compared to the sights on something like a S&W Model 41.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    Masks & Fogged Glasses

My biggest complaint is having to wear these damned masks - in addition to being hot when firing at the range, they like to fog up my glasses.[/QUOTE]

If your mask has an aluminum strip over the bride of your nose, take two fingers and push on the top of the mask to shape it to your nose and the bones beneath your eye sockets.

If your mask does not have metal strips or if the above does not work, place a strip of tape, preferably medical tape, along the top of the mask to form a seal between the mask and your face over your nose and below your eyes.

And yes, use of properly fitted masks decrease the transmission of respiratory diseases.

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom