• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I’m a military guy, and all my guns are AR-15s and AKs etc. I don’t hunt.

My 16 year old son, however, is a little Fudd, thanks to my brother-in-law, his uncle. They go deer hunting in West Virginia.

So, I’m humbly asking y’all Fudds for a recommendation for a deer rifle my son can use on these trips.

My criteria are:
    1. Legal for deer hunting in West Virginia.
    2. Lightweight, say less than 7 pounds.
    3. Reasonable recoil for a boney kid who weighs about 100 pounds.
    4. In a caliber I already stock which would be .223, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .308, 300 Blackout or 6.5 Creedmoor.
    5. Less than $1000.

I’m thinking a Savage 11/111 in .223. Opinions and other suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Can you deer hunt with .223 in WV?

I'd go with a Ruger American Rifle in .308. Fine out to 200 yards, which in hilly or mountainous country should be plenty. Savage 110 would be good too, and neither of them will break the bank. If he is going to keep it for a lifetime though, a Remington 700 is probably the best compromise between long term durability and price.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I would look at the TC Compass 2. Lot's of caliber options and mine in 308 shoots MOA or less all day long. Also gives you a chance to spend a little more on quality optics, say a Vortex PST gen 2, while keeping you under the $1000 price point. 5R rifling and threaded muzzle comes standard also.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Not sure what the laws are in WV but here my son uses an AR15 with .223 Fusion Deer Rounds. An excellent choice that will not break the bank and ammo is available is a Savage Axis in .243. Rifle and a couple boxes of ammo and a decent scope will cost less then $1,000.

tailgunner

Oct 18, 2013
    PAsadena Md.
    I guess if it's a lot of hunting in the brush you could use a 10.5" ar pistol with a sb tactical 4 brace on it. You can mount various calibers on the ar lowers that will take down a deer or whatever you need to. Not sure if they are legal to hunt with though.

Steelteacher

Feb 19, 2020
    PG county
    Another vote for compass. I’ve been wanting to shoot one for a while and have heard great things from the friend who has one. Lots of caliber options. Also leaves $ for a better scope. A 3-9 leupold would be a lifetime Scope, and fit in budget easily with a compass or compass compact.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have taken mine (1st gen also) to 1200yds. They are hands down, the best dollar to quality rifle on the market. I don't understand why they don't get much love on MDS.

The one my FIL has(I mounted and sighted in) was literally the worst action I've ever felt in my life. It was pretty accurate with factory loads, but I would never own that rifle lol.

The one my FIL has(I mounted and sighted in) was literally the worst action I've ever felt in my life. It was pretty accurate with factory loads, but I would never own that rifle lol.

His must be in the minority. Everyone I know who has one, loves it- especially after lightening the trigger. There are 3-4 of us in this thread who own and love them. You're welcome to take mine for a test drive if you go to AGC.
    I swear if the TC Compass sold for $600 people would like them more. There must be a psychological reason people can't believe a rifle that inexpensive could be that good.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

The bolt sure isn't the smoothest thing in the world, but lockup is good and the trigger is perfectly serviceable/usable.

It's really much more than you can ask of a ~$300 rifle.

But yes, to Squaregrouper - sometimes I find myself trying to justify buying a Tikka or R700, but then I realize my Compass likely shoots better as is and for much less. One day I will get a nicer bolt action, but I have little practical reason to.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But not a .223 " pistol " . Handguns must be either straight wall ctg of at least .357 Magnum , OR bottleneck not smaller than .24 cal .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom