Will we ever see cheap C&R rifles again?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Here is just a couple pics from sale in Ethiopia that IO bought.
    685c0287071d4f937086db7f91cf86bc.jpg
    4c6b5bfef20734cdbb234c740b56ac63.jpg
    b251e71d1f95d216795269ec6401a3d8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    As a pistol collector, what I'd like to see is a move to exempt C&R firearms from the ATF's import point system. Which would allow a truckload of wartime .32 pocket pistols to be imported. Somehow, I don't see a 75-year-old Walther as the preferred arm of gangbangers.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Which info? I posted where to find Bill of ladings. Import genius is just one such site.

What was paid? Original documents and most of these big sales are public.

Oh I believe you. I just can't find much about it online myself. When should we expect to see these things in the market? The carcanos I see, but they don't strike my interest like the others you mentioned.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wow, hopefully better condition than the shit they had from the Philippines.

Cool photo and yes the glory days are gone but there is still stuff out there.

Just FYI and they will never honor it but IO has a bunch of Ethiopian stuff up at $0 and it lets you add them to your cart, I didnt push it to payment but not sure their cart wouldn't have permitted it. Sort of funny.

https://www.interordnance.com/c/cr?sortBy=Newest&page=1

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Not likely....multiple issues. Actual rifles inventoried overseas are now slim. Especially ones not demilled, or in importable condition. Next the movement of these from overseas by other governments is dicey now. Next is pricing, they can get the same sold pricing were applicable overseas, bypassing exchanges and shipping here.

The other issue is the importers ate the distributors, and the distributors, now the retailers, so the poor FFL is just the transfer agent and makes ziltch.....therefore this is really the issue.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Not likely....multiple issues. Actual rifles inventoried overseas are now slim. Especially ones not demilled, or in importable condition. Next the movement of these from overseas by other governments is dicey now. Next is pricing, they can get the same sold pricing were applicable overseas, bypassing exchanges and shipping here.

The other issue is the importers ate the distributors, and the distributors, now the retailers, so the poor FFL is just the transfer agent and makes ziltch.....therefore this is really the issue.
    Not sure where you are getting your info from but it isn't correct. There are a lot active rifles in inventories still. Also it isn't just as easy to sell in country vs overseas because EU is making laws more restrictive. UK is even worse.

Thousands of No8 Enfields are about to be destroyed in the UK. CMP is the only one that can save them, if they haven't been destroyed already.

Last edited:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think Europe has been pretty well emptied of pre-1950 MILSURP rifles. We're now talking about Africa, possibly Asia and South America. And South America has already been picked over.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    I think Europe has been pretty well emptied of pre-1950 MILSURP rifles. We're now talking about Africa, possibly Asia and South America. And South America has already been picked over.
    Not according to South American UN Small Arms Survey. It is assumed that Brazil destroyed a lot of theirs. However Argentina and Peru still have a lot in storage. Venezuela a decent amount too. Bolivia supposedly handed theirs out to the people so they would still be there in country. Uruguay sold off theirs and so did Costa Rica.

Italy obviously still has a lot in storage. Not sure about rest of Western Europe.

Eastern Europe there is still plenty in storage.

I'm most curious about Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. Estonia especially since supposedly their Civil Guard hid most of their small arms from the Russians.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Not according to South American UN Small Arms Survey. It is assumed that Brazil destroyed a lot of theirs. However Argentina and Peru still have a lot in storage. Venezuela a decent amount too. Bolivia supposedly handed theirs out to the people so they would still be there in country. Uruguay sold off theirs and so did Costa Rica.

Italy obviously still has a lot in storage. Not sure about rest of Western Europe.

Eastern Europe there is still plenty in storage.

I'm most curious about Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. Estonia especially since supposedly their Civil Guard hid most of their small arms from the Russians.
    The problem will be that anything more modern than an M-1 Garand or FN-49 will be unimportable. Otherwise, we'd be sitting on a ton of FALs. And I believe that most of the pre-1950 hardware has already been either imported or scrapped. At least rifles...there are rumors of significant pistol stockpiles, especially in former Soviet republics.

But I'll be pleased to be proven wrong.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Any chances of old world war 1 stores being around or did I miss that boat in the 80’s and 90’s? Would love more turn of the century stuff as well. Had to be millions upon millions of them originally. Has to still be stores around somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I sure hope there is some good supply again some day even if prices are higher. I was too young to get much while there was still decent surplus stocks. Only was old enough to get my C&R in 2014 and even though there was still some stuff then i had no money at the time so i didnt buy much.

Last edited:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The First Golden Age of MILSURP was around 1950-1968. Truckloads of stuff, and you could order by mail. It sucked out a lot of the wartime arms stocks.

The Second Golden Age was 1987-~2010. It cleaned out the remaining European stocks of wartime arms, plus a lot of stuff from the former Warsaw Pact.

Now? Well, the problem is that there are a lot of surplus arms, but the rifles are select-fire. The pistols? Might be more importable. And there are reputedly a lot of German pistols captured by the Soviets that were squirreled away...the Soviets were pack-rats where it came to small arms. The big headache with those is that Russian stocks are not importable by fiat, and a lot of the other pistols were pocket pistols that don't make it through the ATF import point system.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    The problem will be that anything more modern than an M-1 Garand or FN-49 will be unimportable. Otherwise, we'd be sitting on a ton of FALs. And I believe that most of the pre-1950 hardware has already been either imported or scrapped. At least rifles...there are rumors of significant pistol stockpiles, especially in former Soviet republics.

But I'll be pleased to be proven wrong.
    Yes you are correct about the newer stuff. However there are plenty of Mausers and Mosins left out there. Also a really nice stockpile of FN-49 in Indonesia. Rumors are Brazil destroyed their FN-49 at the request of the UN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom