• outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    himm. Not the feeler gauge size you like to use and the red ball gag that looks like your avatar nose. hahaha. j/k brah. hope you and fam doing well.

We are all good bro. I have bacon for yee.

(sorry for sideline)

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I'm researching, finding two different approaches: shim material on the underside face of the upper, and shim washers on the pivot and takedown pins. What's the collective wisdom here, and where do you buy materials?

I recently got a Wilson Combat Recon Tactical .308. There is more wobble than with any of my other ARs. Where the upper and lower come together under the charging handle, the upper is slightly higher than the lower too.

Being such an expensive rifle, I’m really aggravated. I know I’m OCD with my weapons, but I’d expect better from Wilson. When this is all over, I may send it back.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    No high power shooters worry about this. Of course the sling tension takes out most sloppiness. Shooting 7-10" 20 shot group at 600 yards prone, had to argue with those guys.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Areoprecision (sp?) has a lower that has an adjustable bearing designed to take the slop out and eliminate the need for an Accu-Wedge. Anybody try these lowers?

I have and I believe it's only available on their Gen 2 lowers. It worked well for me, although I didn't have that much slop to begin with.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I recently got a Wilson Combat Recon Tactical .308. There is more wobble than with any of my other ARs. Where the upper and lower come together under the charging handle, the upper is slightly higher than the lower too.

Being such an expensive rifle, I’m really aggravated. I know I’m OCD with my weapons, but I’d expect better from Wilson. When this is all over, I may send it back.

Definitely send it back. For what you paid for it, someone should have done a little QC.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Definitely send it back. For what you paid for it, someone should have done a little QC.

Yeah, but I’m weighing whether it’s worth the aggravation. They already said “it doesn’t affect the function of the rifle”, so I know I’m going to have to fight with them.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah, but I’m weighing whether it’s worth the aggravation. They already said “it doesn’t affect the function of the rifle”, so I know I’m going to have to fight with them.

**** them. For what you paid the rifle shouldn’t only fit, it should give you a hand job.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Linkee no workee

Can you describe the problem a little more clearly?

Sorry about the link issue. This one might work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfGeyIXhb7c&t=215s

I'm building a dedicated 22L platform; the upper is from CMMG. The pivot and takedown lugs are not a good fit in the lower. I've tested with five different lowers with the same result. The slop in those interfaces contributes to the lateral slop. The X-Shims, per the video, would appear to address the problem. The washer-type shims from Brownells, where they fit over the pins to remove the slop, also appear to address the problem. Both approaches seem to be low tech with no interface issues that some report wit the wedges. Agreed, this isn't a deal breaker problem, but while I'm building I want to make it "gooder than good." In another life I was probably a Japanese cabinet maker.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorry about the link issue. This one might work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfGeyIXhb7c&t=215s

I'm building a dedicated 22L platform; the upper is from CMMG. The pivot and takedown lugs are not a good fit in the lower. I've tested with five different lowers with the same result. The slop in those interfaces contributes to the lateral slop. The X-Shims, per the video, would appear to address the problem. The washer-type shims from Brownells, where they fit over the pins to remove the slop, also appear to address the problem. Both approaches seem to be low tech with no interface issues that some report wit the wedges. Agreed, this isn't a deal breaker problem, but while I'm building I want to make it "gooder than good." In another life I was probably a Japanese cabinet maker.

Very good. I'm not much on solutions that spread the receiver halves apart(adds to the gas face factor), but being a dedicated .22, no so bad.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    I've ordered some shims of various thickness (shaped like washers) to be intserted on the pins. I'll report on their effectiveness once they arrive.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Im laughing....here is your fix.

Get the wedge and put inside lower....next take a foam earplug and cut on half....place it in the lower under or in front of the pin lug...tighter than a vise....inexpensive and works like a charm.....

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I say, again I think....if the "wobble" is less .02 on a feeler gauge DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. If it is, forget the "wedge" and all that stuff and fix it properly.by putting on a new stripped upper that fits right. I have fixed 2 that exact way over the years. Do it the right way or don't do it.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The are also receiver sets that are tighter than standard ones. Sons of Liberty for example, are very tight and will not have any wobble. It's one of their selling points and they take it seriously.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The are also receiver sets that are tighter than standard ones. Sons of Liberty for example, are very tight and will not have any wobble. It's one of their selling points and they take it seriously.
    Good to know!

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    You could always go with an Aero cerakoted set. Mine is tight with absolutely no wobble.

SOLGW actually has video on youtube where Mike demonstrates how the upper and lower connect.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Get the wedge and put inside lower....next take a foam earplug and cut on half....place it in the lower under or in front of the pin lug...tighter than a vise....inexpensive and works like a charm.....

I did this with one of my AR's at least 5 years ago. I do recall changing the foam ear plug after several thousand rounds. Still tight as a crabs arse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom