Steel Heat Treating and Case Hardening Service in Central MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I have some fitted, repro lock parts for a muzzleloader that need case hardening. I'm actually not looking for color, but for actual surface harness via carburizing and tempering of low carbon steel or wrought iron.

Does anyone know of a metalworking shop in AACO that does this work and takes on small jobs for individuals? Or a reliable shop elsewhere I could send the parts to?

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    There is a large heat treating facility near York PA. I forget their name. They heat-treat all kinds of metal, and I once saw nose-cones for cruise missiles being treated there. They might do a small job.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Allen65,
    Did you find a place to do it?
    I've used Casenit from Brownell's to carburize the tips of small parts that I've filed down, but it is only good for small parts. You use a torch to heat the part to color then plunge it in the powder. Then heat it again to cherry red, I think, didn't look at the can tonight, and quench in oil. Used motor oil is fine. It can flame up so one has to be careful.
    But that only works with small stuff like screwdriver tips or ejectors. It's really easy to make something brittle.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Allen65,
    Did you find a place to do it?
    I've used Casenit from Brownell's to carburize the tips of small parts that I've filed down, but it is only good for small parts. You use a torch to heat the part to color then plunge it in the powder. Then heat it again to cherry red, I think, didn't look at the can tonight, and quench in oil. Used motor oil is fine. It can flame up so one has to be careful.
    But that only works with small stuff like screwdriver tips or ejectors. It's really easy to make something brittle.

I haven't found a place to do it. All I need hardened is a filed tumbler, and maybe the lockplate, and that's too small a job to be economical for commercial heat treat shops.

I ordered the Brownells case hardener, which is chemically similar to Rose Mill Cherry Red rather than Kasenit. Cherry Red is chromium based, whereas Kasenit was ferrocyanate. Real Kasenit has become unobtanium b/c one of the pyrolization byproducts is hydrogen cyanide. Not a problem if you use proper ventilation, but I could see where an idiot using it could create a liability headache for the vendor.

The chromium-based hardener doesn't create much more than surface hardening, but all I really need here is the tumbler wear surface hardened, and the Brownell's stuff should work for that.

Once the tumbler is done, it's off to the next project: learning how to rust blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom