• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    After some thought, there are several arguments we're not using, and should:

1. There are people with reasons to Wear and Carry who would get a permit if they asked...but who figure it's not worth bothering with. I probably fell in that case. Shall Issue isn't about handing out W&C permits to all and sundry, it's about not discouraging the people with legitimate reasons from applying.

2. Shall Issue allows people with W&C permits to arm themselves with less concern for accidental display of a holstered firearm. Right now, a permit holder has to assume that any sighting of the sidearm will result in an business encounter with law enforcement. Unpleasant even with a permit in your wallet. This puts a real crimp into what you can carry. It means that people are carrying Glock 43s and S&W J-frames instead of Glock 19s and 1911s. Not good.

3. The current training requirements are a deterrent to frivolent applications. Which ought to work in favor of Shall Issue. Nobody who is willing to invest that much time does so without thinking he's got a reason.

4. Wearing a sidearm is a PITA. You don't do it without a reason.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Issue 2 kind of crosses into 4th Amendment territory. Legal carry of a firearm shouldn't be carte blanche to invade privacy. But I think that argument has already been made.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    True, but perhaps not in enough depth and forcefully enough. A Civil Right IS a Civil Right, after all.

Of course. As far as I'm concerned, we don't need to go any further than the 2nd Amendment. Unfortunately though, that's not good enough for the Leftists who so enjoy kneecapping our freedoms.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    From a practical perspective, though, someone with a W&C permit has to choose his gun as no carry method on the assumption that seen=Bad Trouble. Possibly arrested. Even if inadvertent, even if only for a second.

This puts a serious limit on what he can carry.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If MD was shall-issue we would have open carry going on. I sure as hell would do it if I was say, walking alone along a country road, or if carry was allowed in a state park and again, I am walking alone. I miss a lot of opportunities to be alone outside the house due to may-issue, and it pisses me off. I was pissed in college when they said " walk in a group". Well I had no "group". These stupid policies are ableist to an autistic adult, but I guess (D)'s think we are all retards ( they would never admit it in pubic, but I think they are ableist, racist, and def classist, and Frosh is a closet sexist).

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    bottom line is how many states are doing shall issue (or better) and how many aren't. MD is clearly in the vast minority. the streets aren't running red with blood in shall issue states, and the % of legal CC'rs committing crimes is clearly insignificant. so why not do it in MD? there is just no defensible reason to deny law-abiding folks the opportunity to defend themselves.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Issue 3 ignores the reality that many in serious need of self-defense don't have 16 hours, a year, and $1,000 lying around to spend in hopes their fundamental right won't be crapped on by Superintendent Pollazzi or his designee in the LD.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Politicians who stand in the way of carry, under threat of incarceration merely for same? Through either ignorance or arrogance, they place innocent citizens squarely in harm's way.

Place citizens in harm's way? Citizens who seek only to use firearms for all lawful purposes, including personal protection, and have both a God given and a specifically enumerated Constitutional right to keep and bear arms in ways that would clearly facilitate same?

There's nothing further to argue with these people, and nothing further to discuss.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If MD was shall-issue we would have open carry going on. I sure as hell would do it if I was say, walking alone along a country road, or if carry was allowed in a state park and again, I am walking alone. I miss a lot of opportunities to be alone outside the house due to may-issue, and it pisses me off. I was pissed in college when they said " walk in a group". Well I had no "group". These stupid policies are ableist to an autistic adult, but I guess (D)'s think we are all retards ( they would never admit it in pubic, but I think they are ableist, racist, and def classist, and Frosh is a closet sexist).

Not all D's believe that (says the democrat who is an extremely strong 2A support and believes open carry should be legal and concealed carry should be shall issue with a relative minimum of red tape involved)

But, yeah, often being a democrat means believing in unicorns and that bad things won't happen to you if you believe hard enough and that guns are the devils errection.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Not all D's believe that (says the democrat who is an extremely strong 2A support and believes open carry should be legal and concealed carry should be shall issue with a relative minimum of red tape involved)

But, yeah, often being a democrat means believing in unicorns and that bad things won't happen to you if you believe hard enough and that guns are the devils errection.

I should have clarified. I meant democrat politicians, which is why the "(D)". They seem to have nearly all gone to being on the very anti gun platform. Moderate and conservative (D)'s are an endangered beast. Too many RINOS running around too though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom