• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    I have a friend in PA who I shoot with on a fairly regular basis and he occasionally brings an ar. Now that Oct. 1st has come and gone will he still be allowed to transport it into the state for use at a range in MD?

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    I'm not sure, but I thought that out-of-state residents CANNOT bring a banned weapon into Maryland for purposes other than transporting it through Maryland for a destination other than Maryland. There was explicit language regarding shooting competitions, etc.

I would not try to use the argument that he was going from PA and returning to PA.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    My bad. Here's the exact wording from the MSP website:

"Q. Can we travel to other states for competitions and return with our already owned banned firearms? Can someone come from another state, for competition in Maryland, with a banned rifle?

A: A Maryland resident who lawfully owned the firearm prior to October 1, 2013 may travel with the firearm to other states and return so long as it is not a violation in the state you are traveling to and the firearm is being transported in accordance with the law. A person may not transport an assault weapon into Maryland for target competition unless the person lawfully possesses, has a purchase order for, or applied to purchase the weapon before October 1, 2013. Federal law allows a person to transport a firearm through Maryland but not to Maryland if the firearm is not in compliance with state law."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And here is the exact wordin from 281:
    (3) (I) A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED OR PLACED A 9
    VERIFIABLE PURCHASE ORDER FOR, COMPLETED AN APPLICATION TO PURCHASE AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A 11
    COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013, MAY: 14

(I) 1. (I) POSSESS AND TRANSPORT THE 15
    ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON; OR 16
    As long as it was legally possessed before Oct 1, it's legal. No requirement for residency is mentioned.

Last edited:

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    And here is the exact wordin from 281:
    As long as it was legally possessed before Oct 1, it's legal. No requirement for residency is mentioned.

Can you provide more detail where you extracted that passage? I could not find it while searching the bill.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Thank you for the clarification guys, didn't want to accidentally get him in a bunch of sh!t over something so trivial.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I wouldn't have posted it if it did.change the meaning. If you owned the forearm before Oct 1, you are legal no matter your residency. That was the point.

ETA-strike throughs removed. Doesn't change the meaning at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom