• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mahead

Jan 6, 2009
    Frederick
    I would like to know what the requirments are for opening an indoor range in MD. What kind of zoning, EPA, OSHA, state, insurance, etc.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I don't know specifics but I’m sure it a fortune to get started. I'll be a member if it ever gets started. Good luck!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have heard that the NRA has info on starting a range. They should have the info for the Federal side of things and insurance. They also probably have the lowdown on the state side as well.

You also could probably contact the guys at Free State, I would say Fredrick is far enough from Free State so you wouldn't be a competitor.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    With the current board in charge in Frederick another range, be it indoor or outside will not happen.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    With the current board in charge in Frederick another range, be it indoor or outside will not happen.

So the idiots there don't want to take another empty piece of commercial property and make it more valuable? Add in more sales tax revenue and employees making money and paying more state income tax.

Don't make it about a gun range, make the fight about money. Liberals love that stuff.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I would like to know what the requirments are for opening an indoor range in MD. What kind of zoning, EPA, OSHA, state, insurance, etc.

Zoning is a local thing so it comes down to politics and how much you want to spend.

EPA isn't that big of a deal for a small range, usually the lead containment system built into most traps is ok and you need a certain particulate filter and maintenance records on your exhausts. they have some stupid formula where they guess how much contaminant you are going to put into the area and based off this number is what they require.

OSHA isn't a problem as long as you don't do anything stupid and have safety measures in place, range safety systems, evac plans, action plans and stuff like that. Most of the range systems that you are going to buy are at least mostly OSHA compliant.

Insurance is actually pretty cheap, there are like 3 providers of insurance out there backed by the NRA just for shooting ranges to have affordable insurance programs. When I looked into opening a range, I was amazed by how cheap the insurance actually was.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Attend the NRA's Range Development Conference.....you'll learn more about shooting ranges than you ever wanted to.

I think my head is still spinning from all of the info.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    @ ffemtreed
    Well from the looks of your post here and on the other thread about ranges this si somthing that you seriously looked into. I wish that it would work here, because the shore could really use an indoor range!

O2b4wln

Sep 16, 2011
    Tellico or Moab
    Great tips from everyone, don't forget one of the most important things is when you're ready to move forward, get a good design concept and make a good presentation to the board.

I've been to far too many hearings where the person was pitching a good idea without a good presentation (renderings, floor plans, etc) and the board had already made up their mind in the first 30 seconds.
    Good luck and let us know how it works out.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Great tips from everyone, don't forget one of the most important things is when you're ready to move forward, get a good design concept and make a good presentation to the board.

I've been to far too many hearings where the person was pitching a good idea without a good presentation (renderings, floor plans, etc) and the board had already made up their mind in the first 30 seconds.
    Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Yes a ROCK solid business plan that is peer reviewed is an absolute must. make sure to have all material cited and sourced. Make sure you have contingency plans for all obstacles that you anticipate. You can't leave ANY stone unturned in your plan, even if it isn't favorable to you, mitigation plans are key there!

you need sketches and study showing parking and traffic details, security, flow of patrons in and out of the business, noise reduction, and a million other things.

The more detail in your plan the better prepared you will be.

O2b4wln

Sep 16, 2011
    Tellico or Moab
    Mahead,

Start with the NRA range guidebook:

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

One of your major expenses will be the air exchanger, if I remember my codes correctly the facility will have a hazardous material classification and will require plenty of air changes.
    Essentially you're building a building within a building, so there are going to be quite a few ordinances that you'll have to adhere to.

Just take it step by step and have a good game plan.

JasonN3ZBO

Sep 7, 2010
    Lovettsville, VA
    I would love to see an indoor range in the Frederick area. Being able to shoot during this time of year and not dealing with the cold would be great. Given how busy ranges like Cresap are, no doubt in my mind they would do a great deal of business.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    So no details on it at all?

I'm not going to give any details. It's not my gig. The guy doing it I have known for over 10 years and he's a member of this forum, but he doesn't post much. If everything works out, it will be posted here.

Keep your fingers crossed that it all works out. Frederick is as bad as MoCo when it comes to this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom