• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EricBobby27

Aug 6, 2014
    Are 300 Blackout rifles legal in Maryland? I know the bolt-action 300 blackout rifles are but are the AR-15 based 300 blackout rifles legal? Post Oct. 1st 2013. I have called a handful of gunshops around my area and some have said that they are legal to purchase and some have said that they are not. So what is the right answer? Legal or not legal?

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    Are 300 Blackout rifles legal in Maryland? I know the bolt-action 300 blackout rifles are but are the AR-15 based 300 blackout rifles legal? Post Oct. 1st 2013. I have called a handful of gunshops around my area and some have said that they are legal to purchase and some have said that they are not. So what is the right answer? Legal or not legal?

Why would they not be legal?

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    The barrel has to be HBAR for it to be legal. I don't think there is such thing as a non-HBAR 300blk barrel, so that would tend to indicate they are good to go.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I thought the requirement for an HBAR was for a AR15 or copy. The 300 blk is neither of those.

Not being argumentative, just trying to clarify for myself.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I thought the requirement for an HBAR was for a AR15 or copy. The 300 blk is neither of those.

Not being argumentative, just trying to clarify for myself.

Right, but the 300blk is interesting in that the only part you have to change is the barrel. I wouldn't want to be the test case on the copycat law. But in the end I think it is irrelevant given that it is an HBAR.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, without a barrel swap, it's not a copy or an AR 15, so in my mind. legal.

But as you point out, 300 BLK does have an HBAR, so no worries as I see it.

But IANAL.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Well, without a barrel swap, it's not a copy or an AR 15, so in my mind. legal.

But as you point out, 300 BLK does have an HBAR, so no worries as I see it.

But IANAL.

Well, if you want to split hairs, Bushmaster makes an AR-15 in .300 Blk and the MSP has taken the position that all Bushmaster rifles are banned. Guessing the copy portion of the list would then apply too. Now, if the .300 Blk made by Bushmaster is an HBAR, then that would conflict with the exception for Colt AR-15 HBAR. Yep, the law is clear as crap.

Anybody know if MSP ever changed its position regarding all Bushmaster rifles? Never mind, I just checked the MSP website and under "Bushmaster semi-auto rifle" it returns banned.

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:
    (i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
    (ii) AK–47 in all forms;
    (iii) Algimec AGM–1 type semi–auto;
    (iv) AR 100 type semi–auto;
    (v) AR 180 type semi–auto;
    (vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi–auto;
    (vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi–auto;
    (viii) Auto–Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi–automatics;
    (ix) Barrett light .50 cal. semi–auto;
    (x) Beretta AR70 type semi–auto;
    (xi) Bushmaster semi–auto rifle;
    (xii) Calico models M–100 and M–900;
    (xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi–auto;
    (xiv) Claridge HI TEC C–9 carbines;
    (xv) Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle;

And then we have:

http://www.bushmaster.com/firearms/300_aac_blackout.asp

To make things even more confusing, we have the Bushmaster in .308:

http://www.bushmaster.com/firearms/hunting.asp

I need to finish up my trust and apply for my SBR before anything gets worse.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    But. but. but.

I can shoot a single 5.56 round in my 300blk rifle.

:lol2::lol2:

photo-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-1.jpg

300-ACC-Blackout72.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Lawyers are better at splitting hairs than I am.

:D

That we are. We are great at passing confusing as hell laws that require you to retain an attorney to tell you that they are confusing as hell and must be interpreted by a court for a final resolution. It's job security for the profession, and I hate it.

I'm going to do as Ty suggested, and go the SBR .300 Blk route with a 10.5" barrel. Might do that on a .458 SOCOM too, but finding a barrel for that rifle is extremely tough (i.e., I have yet to find one).

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    They took the previous "regulated" list and just made those "banned." When they made the law. 300 Black was not regulated under that definition, they were cash and carry, which leads me to "think" they are GTG now, but you can't change the upper to a banned configuration just like you can't change a new HBAR to an M4 profile.

IANAL (thank God).

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    That we are. We are great at passing confusing as hell laws that require you to retain an attorney to tell you that they are confusing as hell and must be interpreted by a court for a final resolution. It's job security for the profession, and I hate it.

I'm going to do as Ty suggested, and go the SBR .300 Blk route with a 10.5" barrel. Might do that on a .458 SOCOM too, but finding a barrel for that rifle is extremely tough (i.e., I have yet to find one).

Check out Tromix for the 458 socom. That's what I'm thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom