Anyone Use a LimbSaver Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel Dampenerr?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    No personal experience with it, I have seen Jim Shockey use them on some of his hunting shows. Maybe just the thing too, for those older Mini 14's that everyone criticizes.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I've seen these before, but never personally used one. I know some folk spend a lot of time and effort trying to remediate inconsistency in their rifles, and improving/modifying/altering barrel harmonics seems to be a thing. 3/4-1 MOA is pretty much the best I can do with any of my rifles though, so I don't really think I am a good enough shooter to know when the issue is with the gun and not me. If I ever get to the point where I am shooting beyond the accuracy potential of any of my rifles, I would certainly look into a cheap fix such as this.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My Savage 10 308 has marginal accuracy ~ 2 MOA. I also have a Thompson Icon bolt gun in 243 that is pretty much an MOA gun. I am thinking the issues with the 308 are mostly due to flinching as that fly weight Savage bolt gun has a nice kick to it. I am going to try a limb saver and this Dampener. Sounds like it's hit or miss as to whether it will make a noticeable difference.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I have had the exact same issue with my Savage 308. Kicked the piss out of me the first time I took it out. Put a limbsaver on it and things improved drastically. Accuracy isn't where it needs to be but I'm still convinced it is me and not the gun right now.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have had the exact same issue with my Savage 308. Kicked the piss out of me the first time I took it out. Put a limbsaver on it and things improved drastically. Accuracy isn't where it needs to be but I'm still convinced it is me and not the gun right now.

If I can get something less than 1.5 MOA with the Savage 10 then I'll be happy.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am going to try the slip-on Limbsaver. If my groups improve - I'll use the slip-on for the Mosin and get a grind to fit for the Savage. I just don't want to go the grind to fit route if it's not going to do any good.

[EDIT] I mean use the slip on recoil pad WITH the dampener. I switched context mid stream. It's what I get when I drink and post at the same time.

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Is there a sweet spot where you will get the most accuracy improvement, or do you just slap it anywhere on your barrel? Personally, I think bedding will give you a better shooting rifle. But since I don't know enough about this device, I won't put it down as black magic yet.

Good luck to those who are going to try it.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have gotten good results with glass bedding my Savage Model 110 in .243 and plan on doing the same to a Model 10 in .223 that I bought.
    I would think that with the Limb Saver, you would have to retune it every time that you change your bullet weight, powder load or brand of ammo and maybe even lot number of factory ammo.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    As for the first video:
    1. Not all oscillations are standing waves.
    2. Even if the barrel eventually settles down to its resonant frequency, that matters not one whit if it happens after the bullet has left the barrel. The bullet travelling down the barrel is inducing oscillations as it travels, perhaps in an asymmetric way as it traverses the distance. He assumes a resonate standing wave has already been set up both behind, and in front, of the bullet. Maybe, maybe not.

As for the second video:
    It is subtly but importantly different than the first explanation. He speaks of "dampening" the oscillations. That's NOT the same thing as changing the frequency of the standing wave, which is what the first guy said in so many words when he showed the graph that doubled the number of nodes, or the location of the nodes relative to the end of the barrel. The first video dealt with frequency; the latter dealt with amplitude. Not at all the same thing.

That's NOT to say this thing does or does not work, only that these two filmmakers have not scientifically made their case (and that they disagree as to the cause). Frankly anything that alters or constrains the natural oscillation of the barrel really IS likely to alter the POI, perhaps in consistent if a priori unpredictable ways.

The real way to test this out is to get some good high speed film of the barrel being fired with this device on there at different locations on the barrel under controlled conditions. Again, not saying it doesn't work, it might, but at the moment all we have is anecdotal evidence with guesses as to the root cause. So at the moment color me convinceable but skeptical pending a real scientific analysis.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I am going to try the slip-on Limbsaver. If my groups improve - I'll use the slip-on for the Mosin and get a grind to fit for the Savage. I just don't want to go the grind to fit route if it's not going to do any good.

The position of the Barrel De-resonator depends on the ammo generally so you need to play with its position until you find the sweet spot. One thing they seem to be really good at is tightening up the groups of cheap ammo. I have seen tests where it reduced the group size of Federal bulk .22 LR by nearly 1/2.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    The adage "if it seems too good to be true..." probably applies but, then again, it's only $8. However, how many rounds do you have to fire (and hours of time) to find that sweet spot? Is every Model 10110 the same sweet spot? My guess is "no." I'd like to hear more from thoise that have actually tried it and how the whole experience plays out.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Never felt the need to buy one, and then attempt to find that 'sweet spot' - while burning up valuable barrel life and ammunition.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    ^^^^^ This.

But then again how much of it is a psychological thing too? You are told it is going to make your groups better, and boom, you shoot better! Is it the thingy or is it psychology, and some genius out there that is making a boatload of money on people that are looking for a magic cure for bad shooting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom