• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    Just received my New VZ from :party29::party29:High Rock Outfitters ( and Gary is the greatest ):party29::party29:... and I'm going to deck it out. Just need help with scope mount..

1) http://www.zahal.org/products/vz-58-receiver-cover-optic-mount?path_parent=219007

2)http://www.zahal.org/products/sa-short-optic-mount-receiver-side-rail?path_parent=219007

I also heard of using an AK style mount.
    I will be replacing the grip, front hand guard with SA VZ-58 Alpha Handguard and stock , and brake ... will probably, no I will spend more and add on's then the thing coast.. But Hey!!!

So any thoughts on a mount, would like to use a close or mid range scope..

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Vz2008s don't have a receiver side rail, so option 2 is out unless you install one (which means drilling and tapping with some pretty good precision).

Option 1 is not bad, but realize that you'll now need a tool to field strip the rifle. My understanding is that some jams with the Vz58 are most easily cleared by popping the dust cover - YMMV.

The one everyone loves, but is hideously expensive, is the Gun Expert one from the Czech Republic:
    http://www.vz58rifle.com/products/duralovy-kryt-zaveru-sa-vz-58-dostupne-v-cervenci/

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I ordered parts from czechpoint last year and added the side rail to my VZ58. Wasn't too hard. The sidemount sits a little high though. I've thought about removing the picatinny rail and machining a direct mount for an aimpoint H1. The iron sights are useable under it though.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Forkin' A. Tapatalk didn't add the pics... (of course. POS software)

The rear of that mount has scratched my safety glasses before. Long limbs + short stock + rearset mount (necessary for upwards ejection) = trouble. I've not had time yet to go mid-evil on it yet.

Attachments

• IMAG0931.jpg
      IMAG0931.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 4,049
    • IMAG0932.jpg
      IMAG0932.jpg
      37.2 KB · Views: 2,444

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Don't know if this helps but here's one from Corwin Arms in Canada.
    http://www.corwin-arms.com/product/cz-858vz-58-side-mounted-dragunov-type-scope-rail

Careful. The VZ throws brass straight up. The ejector tang is underneath the bolt at the very back behind the mag, not on the left side like an AK. Anything that overhangs the front cover may cause brass to fall back into the chamber and cause ejection problems.

I have one of the Gen1 RS mounts for one of my AK74s. I just checked and it will NOT fit the VZ sidemount. The slingmount gets in the way of moving it far enough back to get the dovetails started. About 1/8" too far if you don't have a sling and about 1/4" if you do have a sling on. You'd have to cut some of the dovetail part off the mount to get it to 'catch' slightly farther forward. Or take the stock off (which has the sling loop rigidly mounted), put on the side mount, then bolt the stock back on:( That said, just holding it up in the right spot, it looks to be about the same height as the mount I have. So the shorter RS regulate M10 mount might be just the ticket.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'm not talking about the RS Regulate AK mounts, I'm talking about their Vz58 specific mount

Cool. The 304 isn't on their website and I hadn't heard of it before (saved to my amazon wish list.) I think their other mounts are rearward enough as long as you don't get a 'front biased' 301 version. Though I don't know if the gen2s have the dovetails in different places than the Gen1 I have. No matter since the 304 probably has them machined to clear. Wonder how tall it is. It lists "optimal over-bore cowitness location" so hopefully low like the 310 but a pic of one mounted would be worth 1000 words.

My comment about being too far forward was the corwin-arms one listed. It has the scope squarely blocking the ejection port.

I don't know:). $450 is pretty ridiculous for that euro mount (even though it is unique at the moment.) I already cringe enough buying a $250 nightforce mount but it at least holds onto an optic thats worth almost 10x more than the mount. We do a lot of manufacturing and the engineer in me hates paying that sort of markup on $2 of aluminum (yes, I know machining takes time but not $448 worth of it!)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It vaguely surprises me that Bonesteel or one of the other usual suspects hasn't tried to do their own take on the dustcover optic mount. I guess it's a lot trickier than the AK due to the lack of obvious solid mounting points.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Why? All you have to do is drill, tap, and install the side rail. What makes it not work on the VZ2008 that let's it work on the VZ58 its made for?
    It was not clear to me that he understood that, hence my comments about stock Vz2008s.

Also, getting the rail perfectly level is a little harder said than done, or at least that's been my experience with AKs.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Also, getting the rail perfectly level is a little harder said than done, or at least that's been my experience with AKs.

Easier on a VZ. Spot the holes w/ a transfer punch then drill a hair higher (like 0.010"). The rail gets pulled up tight against the step in the milled receiver. Alternatively, spot them w/ a transfer punch thats a little too small and hold it against the high side of the hole. That prevents you from having to 'move' the punch mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom