• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    Hi,

I am kinda new to the SKS, and i can't find what these markings mean or stand for. The only marking is the one in the pic and (( kfs alt ga )) and underside of barrel by the front sight there is (( china 7.62 )) and that is it. Now my other one has markings all over it and found the meaning of those. i ck on the net i dont have any books yet. I was hoping someone could help.

Thanks Sean

oh the the two markings are very very small almost missed them and the reciever is alot nicer( i guess the maching is better)

Attachments

• sks.jpg
      sks.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 776

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I bought it this way from a guy who's father just past. he said it was sitting under his fathers bed for the last 30 years. It came with a bandolier with 20 rounds missing and one 30 round mag and the 10 fixed mag. The thing had so much dust on it you couldn't see through the front sight, and when i pulled it apart you could barely see the triger mech. Had to take air blower to it you should have see the dust that came out the barrel. lol i cleaned it up and it looks like new. I am trying to find a wood stock now.

Attachments

• sks3.jpg
      sks3.jpg
      68.2 KB · Views: 734
    • sks4.jpg
      sks4.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 709
    • sks5.jpg
      sks5.jpg
      81.6 KB · Views: 676
    • sks6.jpg
      sks6.jpg
      77.1 KB · Views: 692
    • sks7.jpg
      sks7.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 764

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    The numbers in the box are for the Arsenal that this one came out of. The Chinese characters more or less mean "Type 56," which is what they called the SKS.

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I think i have found what model i have, it is a police model or Chinese security. I found someone with the same markings down to the tee. and the seral # is only a couple 100 off from mine.

0144 factory code
    24004XX serial
    KFS ATL GA import code
    milled receiver, pinned barrel
    SKS 7.62 CHINA under barrel
    late model Chinese security forces markings on right side of receiver

but this could all be wrong too:D

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    The numbers in the box are for the Arsenal that this one came out of. The Chinese characters more or less mean "Type 56," which is what they called the SKS.

This.:thumbsup:
    There are plenty of Chinese SKS around, also plenty of the ones with the arsenal number in the box, see if all the numbers match on the rifle(Original stock would have had a number also ), the bolt will also have a matching number if its original. Also if this is your first one, take the bolt out and shake it back and forth to make sure the firing pin is moving freely. It would be a good idea for give it a full cleaning. You can do a search and you will find how to do so.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Oh, wait i did just see something, the Last pic. It was used for the military or police, the two symbols on the right side of the gun designate that.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Well that was useless i call Keng's Firearms Specialty, Inc. (kfs) they will not release any info on the firearms they import, unless you are the ATF. but thanks bluefin it was worth a try anyway
    I realize it has been a while since you posted, but I recently acquired an SKS at a gun show and found that the under side of the barrel showed that it was imported by KFS in Atlanta. They now offer a Certificate of Authenticity for any rifle they imported and sold. It's not cheap ($49.95), but it indicates the producing factory, the exporter, and the date of sale. The current owner and his father, who founded the company, originally sign the certificate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom