• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I had a stovepipe-like issue at the end of run where the case was sitting on top of the magazine, slide locked back. Then I had a real stovepipe that stop my run.

I've kept a loose count of how many rounds I'm putting though my XDm 9 and I just passed 7,000. Are springs the likely problem? Recoil springs? Any suggestions?

After 2 1/2 years shooting IDPA I FINALLY made Marksman. :D:thumbsup:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sounds like an extractor issue. There is probably carbon deposits built up betwwen the extractor and it's cut in the slide. This would prevent the extractor from moving fully against the case rim. It coykd be a wekened extractor spring as well.

Beyond that looking closer at the extractor is in order along with ammo power factor and slide movement.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    RSA is suggested to be replaced at 3500 or 5k (IIRC) for the M&P's, so your probably due for that as well.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Recoil spring assembly. :)

I'm not familiar with the XD line-up, do they run a captive recoil spring assembly as well?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ahh, then it should be pretty easy to find the appropriate spring weight to replace it with then.

I have a captive system on my M&P .45, I'll have to start looking at replacements in the near future myself. If nothing else, it's nice to have readily available replacements parts for when they are needed.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I had a stovepipe-like issue at the end of run where the case was sitting on top of the magazine, slide locked back. Then I had a real stovepipe that stop my run.

I've kept a loose count of how many rounds I'm putting though my XDm 9 and I just passed 7,000. Are springs the likely problem? Recoil springs? Any suggestions?

After 2 1/2 years shooting IDPA I FINALLY made Marksman. :D:thumbsup:

congrats on marksman!

i have same gun and been using it for idpa and uspsa.. 10k+ rounds.. not had stove pipe.. check your mags maybe?

i do have problem for not locking on the last load.. maybe just my loads.. :)

python

Apr 15, 2010
    7000 rounds with no spring replacement, and you have to ask? All of the springs should be replaced.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    congrats on marksman!

i have same gun and been using it for idpa and uspsa.. 10k+ rounds.. not had stove pipe.. check your mags maybe?

i do have problem for not locking on the last load.. maybe just my loads.. :)

Thanks on the "congrats". Between paying attention to safety and that damn buzzer going off I always went to fast. Basically I just freaked out at the buzzer. :sad20: It took a long time for me to slow down and get a good sight picture.

Just cleaned all mags 2-300 rounds ago. I'm gonna do spring maintenance.

When I had "not locking back on last load" it was my thumb resting/pushing on the slide release.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks on the "congrats". Between paying attention to safety and that damn buzzer going off I always went to fast. Basically I just freaked out at the buzzer. :sad20: It took a long time for me to slow down and get a good sight picture.

Just cleaned all mags 2-300 rounds ago. I'm gonna do spring maintenance.

When I had "not locking back on last load" it was my thumb resting/pushing on the slide release.

guilty on that too.. :o

yeah.. i know what it feels with the buzzer/beep...

today i went to a uspsa classifier... had problem releasing the mag, reloading and miscounting.. oops.. its still had fun though.. its what it counts.. at least for me. :D

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Basically I just freaked out at the buzzer. It took a long time for me to slow down and get a good sight picture. "

You hit the nail on the head. The pros say one has to slow down to go fast. You can shoot only as fast as you can shoot, speed follows smooth form and focus. The fastest times I ever shot felt no too quick, because I was shooting and not trying to go fast.

And congratulations also, I failed to do so in my first post. I know it feels good to make that next step

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    I was hoping to see that when the scores came out! You put together 3 good stages and it all worked out as it should.:party29: Congratulations!

Mike

You and Frank slipped out before I got to thank you for SO'ing. "Thanks".

Notice I didn't say how my stovepipe caused/allowed me to re-shoot stage 3 and that made all the difference in my score? Shhhh, don't tell a soul, ok?

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    You shot all those strings well and making you re-shoot part of stage 3 only made it harder for you... not easier.

You did a good job and should be proud of your performance even having to goof around with a re-shoot :thumbsup:

Mike

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sounds like an extractor issue. There is probably carbon deposits built up betwwen the extractor and it's cut in the slide. This would prevent the extractor from moving fully against the case rim. It coykd be a wekened extractor spring as well.

Beyond that looking closer at the extractor is in order along with ammo power factor and slide movement.

Probably not his issue. But dental pick + extractor = one of my pet peeves. If I could only clean one sole item it would be this I think.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Probably not his issue. But dental pick + extractor = one of my pet peeves. If I could only clean one sole item it would be this I think.

I was gonna do both, clean the extractor and swap out some springs. Dental pick is a great idea...I was thinking to pry it ever-so slightly with a screwdriver and slide a paper clip down in there to remove the gunk. Been busy and won't get to it until later this week, maybe the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom