• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Vortex PST2 is probably the best for the money, basically the gateway to high end features like daylight bright illumination and a big field of view. Looking through mine at 1x with both eyes open it's very close to a red dot in clarity, speed and lack of distortion. At 6x it's clean, bright and clear enough I can see holes in targets at 100+ yards. At any magnification it's just a big clean image with a thin fuzzy black ring around it.

Most every scope below the PST2, the clarity decreases, the size of the "black ring" around the image gets thicker, and things like adjustment clicks feel cheaper. Go above the PST2 and everything that makes it awesome gets even better, might even get higher magnification, a brighter image or something special like FFP or a more compact size without loosing image quality.

I'm a Vortex fan, the Strike Eagle, PST2 and Razor 2/3 all represent a great scope that competes well with anything in it's price range.

Redbone1

Mar 1, 2020
    I have both the strike eagle and the viper pst gen 2. Both are 1-6x. They were used in 2 gun and 3 gun matches before the ammo situation got stupid but I digress. Both work very well and I have shot out 400 with them. The viper is by far the better out of the two. Glass is really clear, the red dot is daylight bright, the only downside is it is a little heavier. If one of them is in your price range they are good options in my experience.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Depends on how much you want to spend. I’m a Trijicon whore. I have a VCOG 1-6, VCOG 1-8, and just sold an Accupoint 1-6 to a MDS member. I love them all. The VCOGs are built like tanks and come with an integrated mount. Glass is great and there is not a tougher optic on the market. 100% made in USA, which is important to me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Burris M-Tac and a Vortex StrikeFire.

Both are nice and work well. I ran the StrikeFire for a carbine class and it worked great at 1x, versus a red dot.

I would like to get a Viper PST Gen 2.

chinchong87

Sep 2, 2009
    AA
    I have a NF NX8. It is an excellent optic that so far has proven to be bombproof. Originally I had it in a Geiselle 2.04” mount but while I prefer a heads up shooting style the mount was a bit too high. I switched to a Scalarworks 1.93 mount and couldn’t be happier.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Vortex PST2 is probably the best for the money, basically the gateway to high end features like daylight bright illumination and a big field of view. Looking through mine at 1x with both eyes open it's very close to a red dot in clarity, speed and lack of distortion. At 6x it's clean, bright and clear enough I can see holes in targets at 100+ yards. At any magnification it's just a big clean image with a thin fuzzy black ring around it.

Most every scope below the PST2, the clarity decreases, the size of the "black ring" around the image gets thicker, and things like adjustment clicks feel cheaper. Go above the PST2 and everything that makes it awesome gets even better, might even get higher magnification, a brighter image or something special like FFP or a more compact size without loosing image quality.

I'm a Vortex fan, the Strike Eagle, PST2 and Razor 2/3 all represent a great scope that competes well with anything in it's price range.

I’ve been doing my research on these viper pst gen 2 1-6’s myself.

It appears that most say you get 80-90% of the razor 1-6 in the viper 1-6 for half the cost.

I’m looking for the best deal at this point. 600 is about the cheapest I can find it for.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

It appears that most say you get 80-90% of the razor 1-6 in the viper 1-6 for half the cost.

I’m looking for the best deal at this point. 600 is about the cheapest I can find it for.

Amazon has them for $550.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Vortex Razor Gen3 if you're too poor for an ATACR or S&B Dual CC. Also heard good things about the new March 1-10x DFP.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

They really are, it's an awesome scope, still affordable enough for most to actually buy, and has a lot of what the high end $1K+ scopes have. Vortex does the MAP price fixing thing like a few other brands do, so 90% of everyone will advertise it for $599.99. Can find it a little less if you look hard enough from shops with a way around MAP (like add to cart.for price) or like Brownells with easily found coupon codes. Shydas up here usually has them in the store for under MAP, and some gun show vendors like Kenzies optics will usually sell under MAP, or places like Laue will sell them in a mount package with a "discounted" mount just above MAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom