• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Hi everyone. Came across this forum when I was researching gun ownership in Maryland and decided to join. My wife and I just did our HQL training and submitted our apps this past weekend. We are both completely new to guns but are interested in handgun shooting.

Any suggestions for ranges in the MoCo area for new handgun shooters? Gilberts looks like the only option in MoCo, but Machine Gunners Nest is about the same distance from us (both are about 20-30min). The NRA HQ and On Target in Annapolis are about an hour away so those are options too. My wife really enjoyed the HQL class and is excited about shooting so I don’t want to go to a place where she’ll feel intimidated or where people are assholes.

Thanks for all the information you all have shared on here it has been a great resource!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Welcome, also from MoCo. If you time it right, the NRA range is a pretty livable drive. My wife accompanies me there sometimes and she has had only good experiences with the staff and other shooters. Every range has its idiosyncrasies, but just being observant, listening, and taking your time about everything makes them all pretty livable and wildly increases the odds of a positive visit every time.

It's a tough county to be in, when it comes to ranges. Everything is a haul, or has significant compromises to make.

Very glad to hear of another husband/wife interest blooming. It's a great pursuit with so many different directions you can go and styles/activities you can explore. Wait until you guys get a chance to shoot some entry level steel clanging matches! Spouses that pew/clang/ping/bang together stay together!

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Welcome, new guy, from also also MoCo. If you like multiple outdoors things, there are a few Izaak Walton League chapters in the county with rifle/pistol ranges and a range of activities. Might be worth joining - I did some years ago, and now I can go shoot 15 minutes from my house, right in the middle of Libtardistan here!

Also, check the welcome aboard threads and FAQs and hop in to some discussions.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for having the courtesy to introduce yourself.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Take a look at these helpful links – LOTS of amazing info!

FORUM RULES
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Range Etiquette and Staying Safe

Admin News and Announcements

Gun Rights and Legislation

Industry Partners

MD Shooters Firearms Map

Acronym list[/FONT]

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    I can’t give you a big welcome as I’m new here as well. I live in MoCo as well and these places have worked for me.
    I’ve had good experiences at Heritage Training in Frederick as well as MGN. Cresap is good, but only open Sundays, unless you become a member.
    Also Elite Shooting Sports is a good option, in the opposite direction. I usually look at traffic and base my decision on that.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Welcome from Gaithersburg!
    I belong to AGC in Marriottsville. Heritage is a very nice indoor range with great staff. Machine Gun Nest is another solid range in Frederick.

Range Ready

Nov 13, 2018
    Frederick, Md
    Welcome to the group. I've been a member of TMGN for the past three years and really like their staffs attitude. Heritage is a much more sterile environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom