• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    Andy,

Let me first thank you for opening the shop today - normally CLOSED as it is one of your weekend days, to have the Genesis Firearms' crew in to hold an amazing Utah concealed carry class.

For those unfamiliar, this is the best and most complete non-resident concealed carry permits to obtain, it covers 32 states, soon to be 33, more importantly it covers ALL of the surrounding states to our "beloved" Maryland-inistan...

Many of you know I've worked for a tiny little FD locally for a few days now as a fireman/paramedic/emergency communicator, and I am a state F/R instructor as well teaching all EMS basic and Paramedic level classes as needed at my FD Academy. I therefore offer the following review of the class.

Starting on time, the class consisted of 22 students, Andy and myself from the shop side, and at least 5 members of the Genesis Firearms team ready to assist with check-in. The classroom was the sales floor of the shop - reconfigured to accommodate the large class in a very familiar fashion. All members of the class came prepared with appropriate paperwork and documentation and lined up for a quick and orderly check in.

Xeroxes made, fingerprint forms filled out, all students were directed to wash hands and submit for fingerprinting. As the students began to fill up the line, a second fingerprinting station was opened up and seamlessly took the overflow. I have not seen such organization and ease with which the normally difficult process of registration for any adult education class took place. (I wish I could have such an experience in my next CPR class.)

Completely professional, the ADL's of the class were explained - coffee, donuts, and the facilities were pointed out. The instructor for our class, a friendly fellow named Pirren explained what made him qualified to teach our class. Satisfied with his credentials as explained, I settled in for what I thought would be a very dry day.

I couldn't be more pleasantly surprised! The syllabus, though heavy in written content was supplemented by the jovial nature of our instructor, Pirren. His comic relief was key in freshening up what would normally be a very stiff curriculum. Understand, that the Utah class is mandated to cover certain topics, in a certain fashion, but Pirren's ability to make the information more topical was critical in keeping the adult learner engaged and interested.

The Genesis Firearms team treated us like adults, did not speak down to us as if we were children, and encouraged friendly discourse from all levels of shooters. We had a wide range of students from those new to firearms ownership - to those looking to gain more education through certified classes, this class was a nice cross section of who our customers represent - citizens who believe that knowledge is the answer in protecting our 2nd Amendment rights.

Breaks were liberal, the coffee and donuts plentiful, and between topics, Andy and I answered many questions regarding the shop, weapons systems, and the future of the sport. Getting back on topic was seamless, truly, as the students - myself included were eager to see what came along next. The printed material was helpful and the short clips really made the learner take stock and ask good questions as to how they might react given the same set of circumstances.

One thing I did learn was that my ingrained notion of flight INSTEAD of fight to protect myself or my loved ones, is one born of ill conceived notions of the law. I know now that if I or my loved ones are threatened in our home, and we fear for our safety and well being - to defend ourselves first is just and correct - the liberal establishment have brainwashed us to think otherwise!

For me personally, the best part of the class were the video segments of real scenarios, and group discussion thereafter. The big take away from that was that I really NEED more education - not just at the target range, but in dealing with real threats, and how to overcome them in reality. To that end, I have made a promise to myself to take any class that Engage Armament teaches - no matter the cost or whether it "fits" into my perceived need for it - who knows, I may just find that "pearl" that may save my life...or yours...

Thanks again to Engage Armament for hosting the class, and to Genesis Firearms for leading the instruction... We have a saying in the FD that really applies...

"Let no Fireman's ghost return to say his training let him down..."

This training wont let me down - further it moves me to seek out more...

Cheers,

Ian StJohn

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Great review Ian. I was in the same class that Ted was in last year and we all agreed that Perrin's "style" of teaching is a very good and one that keeps the student (no pun intended) engaged in the material. Glad you enjoyed it.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank you Ian for the kind words and great review. We work hard to make sure every customer has a great learning experience and that we give them their monies worth.

I also want to thank Andy,Ted and the rest of the crew at Engage Armament for giving me the opportunity to teach the class at the shop. Ted actually started asking me about this venture over a year ago. I'm glad we were finally able to make it happen.

We currently have classes scheduled for June 30th and July 21st. Registration information will be made available on the Engage Armament Facebook page.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I was strongly considering taking this course and actually had the registration page open, then stumbled upon this thread. Just confirmed something I was probably already going to do.

See you in Frederick, Perrin.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    Was in the same class as Pilgrim... Just got mine yesterday!

Best class, held at the best shop around!

Engage Rocks!

Ian

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank you for letting me know the permits are coming in. Be safe and use them well.

We hope to have more classes on the schedule soon.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Finally received mine and the photo looks amazing. Matches my MD permit quite well. I also received a letter with saying its issuance is based on a background check which is still not yet complete. I guess they're inundated like MSP at this point and cant get all the stuff done in time.

Attachments

• 2013-08-04 04.10.05.jpg
      2013-08-04 04.10.05.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 257

MDlocal

Jan 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Finally received mine and the photo looks amazing. Matches my MD permit quite well. I also received a letter with saying its issuance is based on a background check which is still not yet complete. I guess they're inundated like MSP at this point and cant get all the stuff done in time.
    That's a face only a mother could love. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom