• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    Wow...you are the first person who I've heard say they hated Dunkirk. If you're hoping/expecting 1917 to be a WWI Saving Private Ryan (or a conventional war film for that matter), you are going to be disappointed.

Just because Dunkirk was awful doesn't mean Saving Private Ryan was great. That's a bit of a leap in extrapolation. Fury was OK, I love armor and tanks but it was still a bit over the top, and it's particularly funny the way World War 2 movies always portray a kerjillion German soldiers swarming on American lines when in reality it was almost always the other way around.
    If I had to pick a movie I hope it's more along the lines of, Flags of our Fathers and its companion film, Letters from Iwo Jima are amazing films that convey the slow lead up and often futile measures that make up warfare.

Dunkirk took so many liberties on reality and physics that it became distracting. It was just a hodge podge of stories crumpled together haplessly. With the list of really good books out there on the subject I wasn't impressed with the movie.

The way they split the scenes up just made it annoying, and they injected drama into every possible opening they could find. Even the civilians in the boat ride TO the beach got visited by the drama llama.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Just because Dunkirk was awful doesn't mean Saving Private Ryan was great. That's a bit of a leap in extrapolation. Fury was OK, I love armor and tanks but it was still a bit over the top, and it's particularly funny the way World War 2 movies always portray a kerjillion German soldiers swarming on American lines when in reality it was almost always the other way around.
    If I had to pick a movie I hope it's more along the lines of, Flags of our Fathers and its companion film, Letters from Iwo Jima are amazing films that convey the slow lead up and often futile measures that make up warfare.

The way they split the scenes up just made it annoying, and they injected drama into every possible opening they could find. Even the civilians in the boat ride TO the beach got visited by the drama llama.

I'm only stating that SPR, a war movie everyone is familiar with, is very different from 1917.

1917 and Dunkirk have similar tones but that's about it. 1917's story is very linear (by design), so in that way they couldn't be more different. Based on what you've said so far, I think you'll like the movie. Now I'm extrapolating.

I really enjoyed Fury until the end where it just became a Call of Duty game. Honestly it kinda ruined the movie for me. They could have had the same climactic ending, just toned way down.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    I'm only stating that SPR, a war movie everyone is familiar with, is very different from 1917.

1917 and Dunkirk have similar tones but that's about it. 1917's story is very linear (by design), so in that way they couldn't be more different. Based on what you've said so far, I think you'll like the movie. Now I'm extrapolating.

I really enjoyed Fury until the end where it just became a Call of Duty game. Honestly it kinda ruined the movie for me. They could have had the same climactic ending, just toned way down.

The tank battles and infantry fights in the beginning and middle of Fury were great for me. I loved the AP rounds whistling and buzzing off glacis plates and the urban ambushes, suppressing treelines and the like.

But you nailed it, the end where dozens of supposedly trained and crack SS troops running at the hull gun or standing in the open as the turret traversed them for coax fire was where they lost me. I actually walked out of the theater at that point.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I know little to nothing about WW1 and my Grandfather fought in it and was wounded . I should learn what happened and where he served .

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Dunkirk took so many liberties on reality and physics that it became distracting. It was just a hodge podge os stories crumpled together haplessly. With the list of really good books out there on the subject I wasn't impressed with the movie.

They shall not grow old on the other hand was really well done even if there did seem to be an excess of bare assery being shown. :(

Yeah, I know the gliding plane was a bit of fancy but I loved Dunkirk.

+1

WWI is much more of an interesting event in human history than WWII IMHO.

WWI is the transition from muskets and horses into the brutality of fully mechanized warfare.

I am going to try and see the movie this weekend. Hooray the local theater is playing it.

Not to mention it completely destroyed an entire system of society and governments. The Russians fell, the Ottomans, the Austro Hungrians, and British, German, French and British life have never been the same.

Edit - on the movie front - I thought Midway was fantastic. A great depiction of that pivotal battle.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    But when I saw this post I was excited thinking it was going to be about the M1917 .45 ACP moonclip revolver. This has been a rollercoaster of emotions.

It's not a pristine specimen...but it works :shrug:

colt1917.JPG

It could also be the rifle of the same designation...but I don't have any pics handy :tap:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    There is a documentary series about The Great War called, "Apocalypse: WWI" that used to air on the Military/American Heros Channel. I'm sure it can be streamed or demanded somehow. I find it absolutely captivating...I can't help but watch whenever it's on. It shows period footage of everything going on...the big political players, battle, camp life, civilian life, early medicine. I had been mildly intrigued by the era...mostly because of the old guns and transition between almost musket warfare to machine guns. That series really caught me at the right time to really...uhh...I don't quite know the word...I don't want to call myself a "fan" of WWI, but it really spurred my interest.

Two takeaways from it that immediately come to mind: People are people...and goof off the same way in front of a camera 100 years apart. Secondly, the French soldiers in their early sky blue uniforms look like they came right out of our Civil War...just with the wrong rifles.

Oh...yeah...this movie :o Many years ago, I boycotted theatres over the ticket prices vowing never to go back for anything other than Star Wars. :rolleye12 They certainly called my bluff on that, and it feels kinda like I've got a losing hand. :( I'll plan on seeing 1917 out of the theatre...but...if my Dad wants to take me to see it, that's not technically me breaking my boycott, right?:innocent0

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My Great Grandfather served in WWI and suffered the effects of Mustard gas that bothered him for the rest of his life. I am almost ashamed about how little I know about WWI.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    There is a documentary series about The Great War called, "Apocalypse: WWI" that used to air on the Military/American Heros Channel. I'm sure it can be streamed or demanded somehow. I find it absolutely captivating...I can't help but watch whenever it's on. It shows period footage of everything going on...the big political players, battle, camp life, civilian life, early medicine. I had been mildly intrigued by the era...mostly because of the old guns and transition between almost musket warfare to machine guns. That series really caught me at the right time to really...uhh...I don't quite know the word...I don't want to call myself a "fan" of WWI, but it really spurred my interest.

Two takeaways from it that immediately come to mind: People are people...and goof off the same way in front of a camera 100 years apart. Secondly, the French soldiers in their early sky blue uniforms look like they came right out of our Civil War...just with the wrong rifles.

Oh...yeah...this movie :o Many years ago, I boycotted theatres over the ticket prices vowing never to go back for anything other than Star Wars. :rolleye12 They certainly called my bluff on that, and it feels kinda like I've got a losing hand. :( I'll plan on seeing 1917 out of the theatre...but...if my Dad wants to take me to see it, that's not technically me breaking my boycott, right?:innocent0

I mean, I want to see it...

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Going Friday, been waiting for it to come around this area. If any one has been to USMC museum they have a short film on/ about Belleu wood. What these guys went through, damn. It’s history that a lot of people have no idea ,sad these guys are forgotten by most.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I know little to nothing about WW1 and my Grandfather fought in it and was wounded . I should learn what happened and where he served .

My great grandfather was a first sergeant, ships company serving in Italy during WWI. Joined up in Baltimore a couple of days after the US joined the war according to his pension papers he filed with the state of Pennsylvania. Grew up in the Lehigh valley. Made his was up the ranks fast. Mustered out around 1921 IIRC, not in the demobilization following the war. He taught my Dad how to swim.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    It's not a pristine specimen...but it works :shrug:

View attachment 274928

It could also be the rifle of the same designation...but I don't have any pics handy :tap:

It's still looking pretty nice! Mine got parkerized interwar. I only have 6 round full moon clips for it, and I load my own mild, soft lead SWC bullets for it to try and save the barrel as much as I can. It shoots so nice and smooth, the single action pull shoots exactly point of aim and I'm pretty decent with it at 15 yards, but I know my DA pull is garbage.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    I saw it this afternoon and was expecting a lot more. I was very disappointed with the writing, it seemed like it could have been so much better. But aside from this, the absolute worst part is although they find a way to mix in a little political correctness/diversity, not 1 damn SHT. LE III. The whole lot of them were SHT LE III*'s.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Any comment on this from those of you who have seen it?

Attachments

• 970B171E-9C1B-4F9D-99D9-C52642EF3466.jpeg
      970B171E-9C1B-4F9D-99D9-C52642EF3466.jpeg
      77.5 KB · Views: 276

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    It was an interesting movie. There were parts of the movie that felt like a video game, moving from one obstacle to the next to complete the mission. I was waiting for the Gallipoli moment, which I thought was a better movie. Firth and Cumberbatch were barely in the movie, which may be good or bad depending on how you feel about either of them.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I saw it this afternoon and was expecting a lot more. I was very disappointed with the writing, it seemed like it could have been so much better. But aside from this, the absolute worst part is although they find a way to mix in a little political correctness/diversity, not 1 damn SHT. LE III. The whole lot of them were SHT LE III*'s.

14-15 is when they came out so that's not too awful bad I guess. It must be tough to find that many movie guns these days. I always like to check them out too for the oddballs.
    The take down Jap paratroop in Dirty Harry is my favorite.

I wouldn't be expecting to see O'Toole, Quinn and Sharif in this one but the trailer looks alright. Ill probably go see it because Tombstone was the last movie I seen in a cinema.:)

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    This was a decent film. The "one shot" is kinda cool, gives you the perception of "never time to rest or let your guard down".

Has some plot twists, but won't spoil it.

Saw it in Wesminster at the mall. In case you haven't been there lately, RC theaters now owns it and they are doing a really good job getting it modernized and cleaned up. Gave it 5 stars on Google reviews.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Saw it yesterday, enjoyed it overall. The ‘one continuous scene’ style of filming was different, but personally I feel it worked for this movie, although it seemed to make the movie go by very quickly. This is one I’d recommend seeing in theaters if you do plan on seeing it....saw it in a Dolby sound immersion theater (not sure of the exact name, it something fancy like that), and the intense surround sound and big screen made the gunshots/explosions/burning buildings a little more “real”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom