AGC Steel Challenge (Sat 12/7)and IDPA (Sat 12/21)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Unfortunately I will get off work sometime early Saturday morning. Add in the cold, especially after this past Sunday at Delta, and that's not conducive to a good time. Art3, you should shoot 2 guns. Make it worth the drive.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Yes, yesterday's cold soaking rain with intermittant snow and wind was somewhat demoralizing (at Delta, not AGC). The joke at the end of the day seemed to be, "Well, see you in March." (I think it was a joke, because I'm pretty sure there still is a monthly match there through the winter...but it also may not have been a joke because...the cold soaking rain with intermittant snow and wind was somewhat demoralizing).

A bundled up Katie did pretty good though.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yes, yesterday's cold soaking rain with intermittant snow and wind was somewhat demoralizing (at Delta, not AGC). The joke at the end of the day seemed to be, "Well, see you in March." (I think it was a joke, because I'm pretty sure there still is a monthly match there through the winter...but it also may not have been a joke because...the cold soaking rain with intermittant snow and wind was somewhat demoralizing).

A bundled up Katie did pretty good though.

That was a pretty good string, especially considering she is dressed up like Randy

Attachments

• Randy.jpg
      Randy.jpg
      27.4 KB · Views: 221

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    That was a pretty good string, especially considering she is dressed up like Randy

Hey, how did you get a picture of her from another angle :eek:

This was her fashion for the Delta shoot the month before (which was also rainy, but not as cold). She clearly likes red.
    wet katie delta.JPG

(I'm sorry that I don't have any AGC Steel footage...that's all locked up in her phone :rolleyes: I might be able to get ahold of it this weekend)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    On topic question: Would an M1 Carbine be allowed as PCC?

No. Just 9mm, 40S&W, 357Sig, and .45 ACP only. No FN 5.7 or .22WMR either.
    Maybe 10mm, 38Super, 9x23, or 9x21 but nobody has asked as far as I know. Since none of those would have any real advantage over the slower calibers its probably moot.

On topic question: Would an M1 Carbine be allowed as PCC?

No. Just 9mm, 40S&W, 357Sig, and .45 ACP only. No FN 5.7 or .22WMR either.
    Maybe 10mm, 38Super, 9x23, or 9x21 but nobody has asked as far as I know. Since none of those would have any real advantage over the slower calibers its probably moot.

I am not an authority of AGC or the Steel Challenge.
    Per AGC rules, .357 Sig is the most powerful handgun cartridge allowed on the pistol range. Magnums and 5.7 are called out by name as no-go. (.45ACP & .45LC are called out as OK by name) Minimum speed of 750fps is also clarified.
    I have always taken this to mean I cannot shoot steel with my 10mm on the pistol range as it is clearly more powerful than a .357 Sig.

The above being said, I'm assuming that the common calibers that would work are: .380, 9x18, 9mm, .357 Sig, .38 Special, .40 and .45ACP

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Gotcha. It would have been fun considering the match is on Pearl Harbor day, but I get it. I know it's a zippy little round. I've never been motivated enough to do the research, but I wonder how it compares to 10mm out of a carbine?

I also think it's funny (not trying to argue, and AGC isn't the only range that does this) that .357Sig is allowed, but not .357mag. I always thought .357Sig's selling point was that it was ballistically equivalent to .357mag, out of an auto loader. Again, I'm not trying to start anything...just sayin' :shrug:

I am curious about the rationale behind a minimum speed requirement?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Gotcha. It would have been fun considering the match is on Pearl Harbor day, but I get it. I know it's a zippy little round. I've never been motivated enough to do the research, but I wonder how it compares to 10mm out of a carbine?

I also think it's funny (not trying to argue, and AGC isn't the only range that does this) that .357Sig is allowed, but not .357mag. I always thought .357Sig's selling point was that it was ballistically equivalent to .357mag, out of an auto loader. Again, I'm not trying to start anything...just sayin' :shrug:

I am curious about the rationale behind a minimum speed requirement?

Might have something to do with PF, Power Factor.

For those not in the know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor_(shooting_sports)

Last edited:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    No Limited or Single Stack slots?

Nope. We are keeping it simple for now. Single Stack and Limited would likely fall under Production for this match. I don't believe we have a need to split hairs at this point. If you can give me a compelling reason that I am wrong about that, then I will consider adding those divisions for next time around.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I shot a .22 swinger plate with a 5.7 and it barely knocked the paint off

I shot another plate with my .454 and it knocked the entire thing over everytime.

All done on my friends backyard range. Stupid? Who knows, but it's fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom