• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Hey guys, not sure this is in the right category but here goes. Looking to put together a trauma kit for my vehicle, willing to put my own together(preferred) or buy one prestocked

Was wondering if anyone knew where to get inexpensive medical supplies. Non-stick gauze, compressed gauze, Israeli bandages, trauma pads, quickclot/celox z-fold gauze, NPA's, CAT TQ's, etc. (am trained to use all the above)

Also any recommendations for bags? there are a million amazon special first aid bags, looking for something to hold a medium size kit, and have some organization to it.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Hope this helps, this trauma pkg is really basic, small but has enough to slow down bleeding until paramedic arrives. I will supplement it with a CAT-type tourniquet and 2 of the Israeli Bandage. They are cheap and has pressure dressing build in. I also keep a few maxi pads with them, just in case the ladies forgot them at home when its that time of the month, and excellent padding for major bleeding.

https://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Advanced-Clotting/dp/B003BS2PW4?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DPVERM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A3V9K8LW3XHFJG&psc=1

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Here is mine (copied from another thread.) This reminds me that I should recheck/resupply some of the Boo-Boo supplies. I know I have used a couple items over the past year or so.

i-nds7KRV-M.jpg
    i-3dhm232-M.jpg

Here are the items in my current kit shown above. These items are based off a class I took about 10 years ago. I'm thinking of taking the Dark Angel Medical tramua class later this year, so I'm sure my kit will change.

Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak with Advanced Clotting Sponge to Stop Bleeding Fast – Zeolite Hemostatic Dressing, Trauma Kit, Bleeding Control Kits, IFAK, Tactical Medical Kit, First Aid Kit
    I keep an extra sealed pack of this kit in each of my cars as backup. It is a nice starter pack and will fit in a cargo pocket.

North American Rescue Hyfin Vent Chest Seal, 2 Count
    I would probably get the vented seals when I build a new pack or replace this one.

Israeli Bandage Battle Dressing First Aid Compression Bandage, 6 Inch

SOFTT-W Tourniquet 1.5 - Black

First Aid Only 4" X 4" Water Jel Burn Dressing, Sterile (Pack of 3)

Cyalume Green Glow Sticks – 12 Hours of Premium Bright Light, 6” SnapLight Light Sticks for a Variety of Uses (10 Pack)

Compact Tactical MOLLE Rip-Away EMT Medical First Aid Utility Pouch 1000D Nylon Carlebben with Shears

Sharpie pen

I have also added the following items that are not shown in the photo above.
    Headlamp
    Various Band-aids
    Triple Anti-biotic ointment
    Pain Management: Advil, Tylenol
    Moleskin

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Check out the leatherman raptor medical sheers. Supposedly they can cut pennies in half but I haven't tried it. I told my wife to get em for work (nurse) and the kids bought me some, she doesn't want to use them. So I stuck em in the box.

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    MDS member OLM Medic put together a few really nice kits and info for us a few years back. It'd be worth searching and digging those up for reference. PM him too.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Hope this helps, this trauma pkg is really basic, small but has enough to slow down bleeding until paramedic arrives. I will supplement it with a CAT-type tourniquet and 2 of the Israeli Bandage. They are cheap and has pressure dressing build in. I also keep a few maxi pads with them, just in case the ladies forgot them at home when its that time of the month, and excellent padding for major bleeding.

https://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Advanced-Clotting/dp/B003BS2PW4?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DPVERM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A3V9K8LW3XHFJG&psc=1

The two linked items are what I keep in my vehicle, stuffed into a surplus first aid Molle pack. Looks pretty much like the one below. Fits just right in the center console.

The nice thing about the Adventure Kit is that when you register it they will let you know when the contents expire.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Check out the leatherman raptor medical sheers. Supposedly they can cut pennies in half but I haven't tried it. I told my wife to get em for work (nurse) and the kids bought me some, she doesn't want to use them. So I stuck em in the box.

don't bother. the Leatherman raptors are expensive, well made, and useless in a real medical situation..

why? so many nooks and crannies

Let me ask you this:. if you have an active bleeder who is HIV+,(many do not actively announce this,btw) do you want an expensive cutting device that will trap that blood, or something you can deep six and replace? my shears get wiped down and sanitized every shift, but as soon as they are soaked they get replaced because blood gets in the hinge eventually. ANY medical shear can cut a penny in half, even the cheap Chinese ones. The question is: do you have access to an autoclave.?

also, tampons > maxi pads. just the right size for a pistol wound

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

^ This. They are the best shears i've ever used. They also have an impact punch for breaking automobile glass, as well as a seat belt cutter.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Thanks guys, this will get me started. thanks for all the recommendations, links and pictures

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    thanks! i was actually looking for that thread specifically, my dad has one of his kits in his car, I couldnt remember his username

OLM-Medic did a good job putting together those kits. I’m sure I could have made my own kit probably cheaper, but I was glad to pay someone knowledgeable to do it.

Since then, I’ve added some more clotting gauze another tourniquet. It’s one of those things that you hope you never have to use. About 8 yrs ago I was witness to an industrial accident. I called 911 and tried to render aid but I had no idea what I was doing, and didn’t even know CPR at the time. Sadly the truck driver died from his injuries and left behind a wife and two little kids. To this day I still wonder if I had some training, could I have done something to help keep him alive until paramedics arrived.

If you aren’t CPR trained, or basic first aid trained, cross those things off your to-do list as soon as you can. Also take a Stop The Bleed seminar. They are about an hour long and free at university of MD hospital baltimore.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    OLM-Medic did a good job putting together those kits. I’m sure I could have made my own kit probably cheaper, but I was glad to pay someone knowledgeable to do it.

Since then, I’ve added some more clotting gauze another tourniquet. It’s one of those things that you hope you never have to use. About 8 yrs ago I was witness to an industrial accident. I called 911 and tried to render aid but I had no idea what I was doing, and didn’t even know CPR at the time. Sadly the truck driver died from his injuries and left behind a wife and two little kids. To this day I still wonder if I had some training, could I have done something to help keep him alive until paramedics arrived.

If you aren’t CPR trained, or basic first aid trained, cross those things off your to-do list as soon as you can. Also take a Stop The Bleed seminar. They are about an hour long and free at university of MD hospital baltimore.

Yep, search the forum or contact OLM-Medic. As well, supplies without training are worthless. Get the training ASAP.

There are also many survival sites with great advice on FAKs and training

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018

Sorry you had to experience that. Glad I've never had to deal with traumatic injury.

I'm trained up to the EMR level and have other classes like WRFA under my belt. Good to hear stop the bleed is running, was waiting for a local one to use a refresher.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

don't bother. the Leatherman raptors are expensive, well made, and useless in a real medical situation..

why? so many nooks and crannies

Let me ask you this:. if you have an active bleeder who is HIV+, do you want an expensive cutting device that will trap that blood, or something you can deep six and replace? my shears get wiped down and sanitized every shift, but as soon as they are soaked they get replaced because blood gets in the hinge eventually. ANY medical shear can cut a penny in half, even the cheap Chinese ones. The question is: do you have access to an autoclave.?

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    The two linked items are what I keep in my vehicle, stuffed into a surplus first aid Molle pack. Looks pretty much like the one below. Fits just right in the center console.

The nice thing about the Adventure Kit is that when you register it they will let you know when the contents expire.

I keep a couple of those those in my hunting pack and first aid kit. When they "expire" do they stop working or do they expire because everything expires now?

Wongler

Nov 6, 2013
    Carlisle, PA
    I've been buying from Skinnymedic (medicalgearoutfitters) and from North American Rescue directly. I've heard some stories of people getting knock of CAT tourniquets from Amazon. If you buy from Skinnymedic you can use the code iraqveteran8888 for 10% off your order.
    NAR will occasionally have deals on their Mini-fak, (20-30% off).
    It looks like the small backpack bleeding control kit from Skinnymedic or the M-FAK from NAR may be what you're looking for.
    I also echo what the others said, I highly recommend taking a CPR/First aid class or finding a free Stop the Bleed class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom