• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    We planted 8 semi-dwarf MacIntosh and Granny Smith's ~4 years ago and actually had a couple of them start to produce. The apples were looking really good and we were about to be pick them when they just "disappeared"! So, yeah, they are great deer feeders!~

Squirrels will get them too...I had to kill at least 3dozen squirrels to get enough so we had enough to use.

They eat the apples before they are ripe and they just keep at them till they all are gone.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Update, One of my Dolgo's wilted early and I tried watering it to no avail. I scratch tested it an its dead. It never did more than the initial leaf out for the spring growth all year. Willis nursery will replace it, but the $19 shipping is still got to be paid.

They also said to order Mycorrhizal Fungi for planting the bare rooted trees. The girl told me they highly recommend it and I said "Why doesn't your site say that and add it as an option on the same page?" :rolleyes: Not much was said after that. Paid for my shipping and Fungi.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My one Dolgo apple that survived has apples all over it and the leaves are very small. I am assuming I need to pluck all these off until it gets bigger??

Attachments

• A1341777-6976-472C-B028-6B89CDCAE48F.jpg
      A1341777-6976-472C-B028-6B89CDCAE48F.jpg
      168.8 KB · Views: 140

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So let me get this clear....OP wants to plant apple trees for deer. Is that so the deer can eat the trees or the potential apples it may produce. :innocent0

In my experience, deer will eat the damn trees unless well protected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom