• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Live long enough and stuff like this can happen to you too. I've been obsessed with finding a decent example of an early Winchester 52, pre-Speedlock. Just liked the finger-groove stock and old-school looks of it. But after looking at thousands of examples I had feet of clay, just couldn't pull the trigger on one. At this rate I was going to my grave before making it happen. So I just decided to bear down and get it done, no looking for the perfect balance of price, condition, etc. that dictates all my past epic hunts.
    -Found a sight-less example with a SN that dated production to 1928. Early enough. Condition was OK and I couldn't see the "crack of death" on the receiver adjacent to the safety lever (huge shout-out to somd_mustangs for his schooling me on this subject years ago). The receiver looked to have been possibly re-blued, hard to tell from auction photos. Stock had an early, correct varnish finish. Worn but that was fine with me, loved the character. As to the sights I had two options in the spares bin: a Lyman aperture sight set or a recently purchased Lyman Field scope with Litschert magnifier that turned the 4x scope into a 8x version. The scope was mechanically excellent but cosmetically challenged. Perfect for the character of the 52. So went with the scope.
    -In the end I got the 52 for a satisfying sub $500 price. With the scope I have roughly $700 in the combo. Works for me! Now to find the proper sling for it.

Attachments

• IMGP9167.JPG
      IMGP9167.JPG
      21.5 KB · Views: 494
    • IMGP9168.JPG
      IMGP9168.JPG
      45.5 KB · Views: 479
    • IMGP9169.JPG
      IMGP9169.JPG
      51.3 KB · Views: 477
    • IMGP9170.JPG
      IMGP9170.JPG
      22.1 KB · Views: 461

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Part Description: Vintage Leather Sling. I removed this sling from a 1950's Winchester 52 rifle. Seems period correct for that type of rifle to me. This would be ideal for a vintage Winchester or Remington rifle. The leather is in good shape. It shows some dry cracking but is sturdy. Overall, a nice sling and is made with good quality.eBay item number:153428958065
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Le...958065?hash=item23b9141b71:g:KToAAOSwjW9cShw8 $50. plus 5.00 shipping hope it fits your needs

Jul 1, 2012
    Sweet!

Does it still have the front sight?
    The rear scope mount looks like it's hugely solid, I guess for one of the smaller scopes like a Weaver?
    IMHO a 1903 or 1917 leather sling would be "correct", I put a repro one on mine (that does have the Crack-o-Death).

As PSA for those that wonder, this is what the crack looks like. This is also a Pre-A but in the 30k range. Note the cocking knob is no longer extended vs. the one on Mawkie's earlier rifle, so it can't be "manually" cocked. The Speed Lock trigger was added around the same time frame (1930):

Attachments

• crack1.JPG
      crack1.JPG
      56.2 KB · Views: 582

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Sweet!

Does it still have the front sight?
    The rear scope mount looks like it's hugely solid, I guess for one of the smaller scopes like a Weaver?
    IMHO a 1903 or 1917 leather sling would be "correct", I put a repro one on mine (that does have the Crack-o-Death).

As PSA for those that wonder, this is what the crack looks like. This is also a Pre-A but in the 30k range. Note the cocking knob is no longer extended vs. the one on Mawkie's earlier rifle, so it can't be "manually" cocked. The Speed Lock trigger was added around the same time frame (1930):

I was hoping you'd throw up that photo, very instructive to anyone else considering a Pre-A. Thanks!
    No front or rear sight came with it but I have a Redfield Olympic sight set that I got from the CMP years ago along with a Lyman sight set (think it's a 48). So if I want to remove the Lyman scope I'm good to go.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Great addition to your collection Mawkie. Don't know if it's true or not but I read years ago that if you don't use the safety there will be less chance of the crack happening. As long as the bore is good I would expect very good accuracy from that rifle/scope combo.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Great addition to your collection Mawkie. Don't know if it's true or not but I read years ago that if you don't use the safety there will be less chance of the crack happening. As long as the bore is good I would expect very good accuracy from that rifle/scope combo.

I read the same after somd_mustangs clued me in on the COD issue on early 52s.

Jul 1, 2012
    Applying the safety pushes the knob back a little and puts a lot of stress on that little pedestal.
    In the pic above you can see the bevel on the right side (the rear) of the safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom