Pulling bullets. Is there a faster method?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I want to pull the bullets out of about 1000 rounds of 9 m m. They were given to me by a friend but the oal it's too short and I'm afraid of overpressure. Apparently his father who recently passed away was a reloader and had these. I have a kinetic bullet puller that does one at a time but that would take forever. Is there a machine or an easier method?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Ken, do you have one of these grip and pulls? Wondering how much damage (if any) the collet causes on the pulled bullet? Curious, as that's been the problem with the collet pullers I've seen.

I don't, but I have used the RCBS collet puller. It always seems to leave marks on bullets.

One of these or a collet puller from RCBS or Hornady

https://grip-n-pull.com/

You could also just shoot them out of a Hi Point or something

No thanks. My load data for the bullet weight says they should be 1.15 inches overall length and these are 1.06.. I think that's going to cause a pretty dramatic increase in pressure that not even a high point could stand. I think the guy who reloaded them realized his mistake and set them aside to be pulled and then never got to them. I pulled one apart they appear to be loaded with universal and according to the load data on the ammo can I was given that supposedly what the powder is but I'm not going to trust it. I'm going to pull all the bullets and the powder will become fertilizer and I will put fresh universal in when I put them back together

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    have used the Hornady cam lock puller, works quick enough, and when set properly will leave minimal marks on the bullet. Only real issue is how to go faster than a single stage, they won't feed through a case or bullet feeder, so you are stuck on a single stage, or hand feeding them into a progressive.

have used the Hornady cam lock puller, works quick enough, and when set properly will leave minimal marks on the bullet. Only real issue is how to go faster than a single stage, they won't feed through a case or bullet feeder, so you are stuck on a single stage, or hand feeding them into a progressive.

still faster than a kinetic hammer. I can do 2 maybe 3 per minute...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hornady Cam Lock would be my choice. TBH, I am not sure pulling what is probably $30-$50 of bullets is worth hours of time.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Collet puller is great, if your loading plinking ammo I doubt the marks left will have a negligible impact on accuracy.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    One of these or a collet puller from RCBS or Hornady

https://grip-n-pull.com/

You could also just shoot them out of a Hi Point or something

They look just like wire strippers, but without the cutting edge.

Cool, available on Amazon.
    I"m going to try that out, getting tired of using kinetic and putting my ear protection on.

You do realize you can do the same thing with a pair of pliers... :innocent0

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Probably been discussed before but I wonder if vacuum chamber would pull a bullet. I have Vac pump and canisters I use to de-gas urethane and find myself wondering if you were able to do it fast enough using a very small canister if it would work. or if the pressure in the case would equalize too quickly given the relatively small air volume remaining in a loaded cartridge. I should probably just google it

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Probably been discussed before but I wonder if vacuum chamber would pull a bullet. I have Vac pump and canisters I use to de-gas urethane and find myself wondering if you were able to do it fast enough using a very small canister if it would work. or if the pressure in the case would equalize too quickly given the relatively small air volume remaining in a loaded cartridge. I should probably just google it

I know of people who have done it with rifle cartridges, but pressurizing them, letting the insides of the cases equalize, and then opening the container.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    No thanks. My load data for the bullet weight says they should be 1.15 inches overall length and these are 1.06.. I think that's going to cause a pretty dramatic increase in pressure that not even a high point could stand. I think the guy who reloaded them realized his mistake and set them aside to be pulled and then never got to them. I pulled one apart they appear to be loaded with universal and according to the load data on the ammo can I was given that supposedly what the powder is but I'm not going to trust it. I'm going to pull all the bullets and the powder will become fertilizer and I will put fresh universal in when I put them back together

I would simply shoot them...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I mean, how much Universal? 1.06 is definitely short, but it's not THAT horrible, especially if they're 115s.

I would be afraid it might crush or bulge them

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom