• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    A caliber like .308, 6.5 or 7mm08 are all good. I personally favor the 7mm08 as a hunting rifle. I have a $150 TC Compass that shoots .38 MOA with 140 grain partition had loads. Can’t beat that

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The new 6mm ARC looks promising. Time will tell if it holds up, but i'd take that over the 6.5 grendel, as I predict the 6mm ARC will hold more popular in general. Would also compliment your AR by way of lower interchangeability. You could even just buy an upper.

Brownells is selling an Aero 6mm ARC and Odinworks also makes one, albeit a bit more expensive over the Aero.

Alternatively, you could look to a straight walled cartridge AR pattern rifle... seems with new pending hunting laws that we may be able to use straight walled cartridges in shotgun only areas.

cms81586

Feb 8, 2018
    One good option is a CZ527 carbine in 7.62x39. Perfectly capable of taking whitetail, accurate with good ammo, and able to shoot cheap steel case ammo as well. I’ve had mine for a few years and for $40 in ammo you can go to the range for hours. I put a 1-4x Vortex Viper PST gen 1 in Warne throwlever rings and it is super handy. Light, set trigger, 5 rnd detachable mags, and a strong mini mauser action. I’ll contend it’s one of the best Whitetail rifles for hunting East of the Mississippi River. They can be had for around $600-650.

Ruger makes a 7.62x39 American as well. Could pick up one in 7.62x39 and another in .308 for the cost of most other centerfire bolt actions. Not the priciest but they’re perfectly functional and very accurate.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    DT mdrx in 308 or 6.5creed

It’s short, compact, accurate ( shoots moa)
    And fully modular.

( caliber conversion to 5.56, 300blk, 308, 6.5cm, .260)

Attachments

• 37D21D82-5580-4852-8361-F76C15403B4A.jpg
      37D21D82-5580-4852-8361-F76C15403B4A.jpg
      106 KB · Views: 185

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Used to deer hunt many years ago with a Winchester 94 30-30 (sold it, dumb) and would like to add a good all around hunting rifle

Well, here's a chance to right your past wrong. Why not another 94? Handy carbine, more than effective for deer, usually found used dirt cheap, ammo everywhere (usually), AE models make scope mounting easy, and it can be bubba'd into a tactical marvel if desired.

My other thought would be a Ruger American in .308. Nice balance, crazy accurate, dirt cheap, cheap ammo, and can be used for larger game should your targets change in time.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I thought we settled this on a .308 bolt gun?
    :shrug: We had not been around the block yet.

Those Tikka's ARE very nice rifles.
    ....AE models make scope mounting easy, and it can be bubba'd into a tactical marvel if desired.
    Arrrhhhgh...Blasphemy...
    My other thought would be a Ruger American in .308. Nice balance, crazy accurate, dirt cheap, cheap ammo, and can be used for larger game should your targets change in time.
    Those shoot well too. Surprisingly well if you're used to an M-77.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Scout Rifle

Preferably the only one that fully meets Jeff Cooper's concept, which is the Steyr.

But the Ruger and Mossberg are not bad, but a bit heavy for the concept.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    A while ago I picked up the Ruger Predator in 6.5 CM. It has a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4X12-40, Matthews Fabrication cheek rest and an EGW 20 MOA scope Mount. It is a very reasonably priced setup. Great double duty long range/hunting setup. Shoots 1/2 MOA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom