• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Nemesis, how much are you estimating this build will cost you?

well i have a bit over 800 in parts on their way, a bit over 400 for the rifle...thats 1200 there, still have to get the stock and adapter, gas tube, muzzle brake, and FCG...somewhere in the area of 1450-1500...about as much as my arsenal.

edit: no love for the handguard basic design? oh well, still doing it regardless...i love the look of it lol

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    well i have a bit over 800 in parts on their way, a bit over 400 for the rifle...thats 1200 there, still have to get the stock and adapter, gas tube, muzzle brake, and FCG...somewhere in the area of 1450-1500...about as much as my arsenal.

edit: no love for the handguard basic design? oh well, still doing it regardless...i love the look of it lol

I like it.

FYI Midwest Industries makes a Quad Rail that fits Saigas with unconverted Front Ends and Saiga Style Gas Tubes. They look nice too and arent heavy.

Here they are:

Bottom Rifle:

mi_akhndcat.gif

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I like it.

FYI Midwest Industries makes a Quad Rail that fits Saigas with unconverted Front Ends and Saiga Style Gas Tubes. They look nice too and arent heavy.

Here they are:

Bottom Rifle:

mi_akhndcat.gif

i was thinking about them...but i've just never really been a fan of wasted rail space on guns, let alone AKs...im not planning on putting anything up front so there was really no need for a rail system. must admit though, MI makes some damn nice stuff, even more so considering their prices.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    i was thinking about them...but i've just never really been a fan of wasted rail space on guns, let alone AKs...im not planning on putting anything up front so there was really no need for a rail system. must admit though, MI makes some damn nice stuff, even more so considering their prices.

Magpul AFG is great on these. If you plan on putting a LH Charging Handle on it you need a consistent place to put your support hand.

I learned this the HARD way on one of my LH Charging Handle AK's. It fuk-ed up my support hand when I grabbed right in front of the magwell after a reload. that Bolt Handle took a MAJOR chunk out of my hand.

The AFG forces you to support the rifle the same way every time.

just something to consider..All of my AK's that have LH Chargers have Rails so I can add an AFG. If you dont like the side or top rails they can be milled off for a cleaner look.

the Tapco lower squared handguards also accept the AFG and look great when used together but the Tapcos only work with Forends Converted to take Std AK furniture.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Magpul AFG is great on these. If you plan on putting a LH Charging Handle on it you need a consistent place to put your support hand.

I learned this the HARD way on one of my LH Charging Handle AK's. It fuk-ed up my support hand when I grabbed right in front of the magwell after a reload. that Bolt Handle took a MAJOR chunk out of my hand.

The AFG forces you to support the rifle the same way every time.

just something to consider..All of my AK's that have LH Chargers have Rails so I can add an AFG. If you dont like the side or top rails they can be milled off for a cleaner look.

the Tapco lower squared handguards also accept the AFG and look great when used together but the Tapcos only work with Forends Converted to take Std AK furniture.

i didnt really think about that to be honest...i hold the arsenal by the mag since shes not the lightest girl in town, still dont want to run the rail system though...im gonna think on it for a few minutes and see what i come up with.

training could help reduce the urge to place my hand on the mag when using the s223...but you do have a damn good point.

edit: i think im just going to try and train that habit out of the use of that rifle. i REALLY want to go for this look, and adding anything onto it just kills it for me. im going to take looks over function here, but when/if she does take a chunk out of me i may consider a change in plans lmao

editx2: adding to that...messing around with the arsenal im noticing i keep my thumb pointed forward, under the trunnion rivets. i may just be able to avoid some pain on this one lmao...

if she does get me though you have the full right to slam me with a massive (dont get your hopes up reading this far into the sentence ) 'i told you so'.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    i didnt really think about that to be honest...i hold the arsenal by the mag since shes not the lightest girl in town, still dont want to run the rail system though...im gonna think on it for a few minutes and see what i come up with.

training could help reduce the urge to place my hand on the mag when using the s223...but you do have a damn good point.

edit: i think im just going to try and train that habit out of the use of that rifle. i REALLY want to go for this look, and adding anything onto it just kills it for me. im going to take looks over function here, but when/if she does take a chunk out of me i may consider a change in plans lmao

editx2: adding to that...messing around with the arsenal im noticing i keep my thumb pointed forward, under the trunnion rivets. i may just be able to avoid some pain on this one lmao...

if she does get me though you have the full right to slam me with a massive (dont get your hopes up reading this far into the sentence ) 'i told you so'.

Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own shooting style. My accidents occurred after shooting long sessions and just reverting to old ways because of fatigue. If I was paying attention I was fine but after 2K rounds in one day and a hot gun I was moving my hands away from the heat.

Im glad you considered it and looked at what I was referring to. Im sure you will make the right decision.

I dont mind the AFG on an AK because it reminds me of this:

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1164229154056&id=9eb3c0db71025735595de590acb1de7e&url=http%3a%2f%2fi291.photobucket.com%2falbums%2fll298%2fClotfuhrer%2fDSCF6384.jpg[/IMG

The same habbits are why I would like a AK paddle lock on then MSA Adaptor so I wouldnt dump the AR mag Block on a 5.56 magwell converted variant....its just something to think about.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own shooting style. My accidents occurred after shooting long sessions and just reverting to old ways because of fatigue. If I was paying attention I was fine but after 2K rounds in one day and a hot gun I was moving my hands away from the heat.

Im glad you considered it and looked at what I was referring to. Im sure you will make the right decision.

I dont mind the AFG on an AK because it reminds me of this:

thumbnail.aspx

The same habbits are why I would like a AK paddle lock on then MSA Adaptor so I wouldnt dump the AR mag Block on a 5.56 magwell converted variant....its just something to think about.

i did consider dropping the whole thing thinking i was changing a normal mag...but i have trained nearly as much on the AR platform as i have the AK, and since this AK is going to feel alot like an AR, i shouldnt have much issue remembering to push the button not flip the switch lmao

fixed your picture =P

that is a wicked handguard lmao, looks pretty awesome though...much better than those forward swept reverse pistol grip looking BS things...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I like it.

Here they are:

Bottom Rifle:

mi_akhndcat.gif

That actually looks interesting. Since it's not touching anything forward of the receiver, does it basically free float a Saiga barrel?

Jim

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    That actually looks interesting. Since it's not touching anything forward of the receiver, does it basically free float a Saiga barrel?

Jim

it actually clamps to the barrel, so its not really free floating

you can see the 5 large screws (on each side) that attach to the clamps in the pictures

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    since you've used them, some rumors exist that they mess up accuracy via screwing up the harmonics of the barrel...your thoughts on this?

In theory this has some truth, but I have yet to see one degrade accuracy on an AK.

Same can be said for Ultimak Upper and Lower Handguards for AK's and I havent seen any degredation in accuracy after installation.

I apply mine with a Torque Driver to give even force on the retaining clamp. I also use green loctite on the screws. I apply Rosin to the barrel and clamp beofre installation to prevent any chances of sliping (Even though the Clamp is ribbed/serrated)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom