• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I was looking at Lone Wolf drop in barrels for a G20 and the .40 s&w comes in regular or ported. The G20 is not my HD gun nor do I CCW it.

Than Scar nailed it. As a range gun, it's probably not a bad idea. I don't personaly see the need to port a .40, but that's just me. I wouldn't touch one for HD or CCW, but if it's the same price than you might enjoy the reduced recoil in a target puncher.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ported-

pro-reduced muzzle flip as the gasses get vented upwards like a rocket pushing the gun downwards.

cons- muzzle flash right in your sight picture, much louder than a normal barrel, have to be careful where that rocket engine is pointed in confined spaces

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I would stay with a standard barrel.
    as they say" train as you fight and fight as you have trained"

Porting works in comp guns but limit the positions or stances in which you can fire your gun safely.Firing it from a " Retention Stance" will effectively blind and disorient you. Especially a 10mm Auto. Debris and gasses from the port can render you combat ineffective after you fire the first shot in the wrong position.

If its is strictly a range gun, race gun, competition pistol...I would consider it, but not on a pistol that can be called upon one day to defend life and limb.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Agree with the above. Not really impressed with all the accompanying extra "fuss" thatcomes with ports. But if it will allow you to shoot better on the range...

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I have to agree..porting is "cool" to play with but not for a working handgun. I've shot the .40XD ported. Hardly any muzzle flip. To me a novelty. Kind of like that girl who was hot in Jr High...when she hit 25 she turned into a blimp. Fun to play with then, but not after a while of playing with her.
    Did that make sense?

TheSPkid

Sep 24, 2008
    Severna Park
    I have to agree..porting is "cool" to play with but not for a working handgun. I've shot the .40XD ported. Hardly any muzzle flip. To me a novelty. Kind of like that girl who was hot in Jr High...when she hit 25 she turned into a blimp. Fun to play with then, but not after a while of playing with her.
    Did that make sense?

10-4 :thumbsup:

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    ported barrels

Scar is correct. For most applications, ported barrels are inconvenient and annoying, and even in competition, I am not convinced they offer a significant benefit.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Unless you are at the range, or are shooting some big bore hunting handguns (ala .460 S&W) I wouldnt.

Only ported handgun I have is my Dan Wesson .44, and it vents into the shroud making it a pain to clean.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    A little off topic, but I saw a couple of guys at Loch Raven and BCGF using shotguns that had ported barrells. What is the advantage of this, and where can I get it done?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Just recoil reduction and muzzle control. My 590A1 has a ported barrel, if you get the Talo edition they come with already ported.

Bet you can get a cheap ported barrel online too.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    This is just one man’s speculation and semi educated opinion on the topic, so take with a grain of salt.

The common knocks I hear against porting on CC and HD guns I disagree with somewhat, depending on the circumstance.

Increased noise? Yes if you are standing next to it at the range, but inside a room I would expect little difference. I suspect it’s not about more noise, but the direction the noise is projected. Inside a room it’s just going to bounce off the walls and ceiling and right back at you in any case. I have never shot a gun in a house, or a course with a roof so…(?).

I have shot at least three ported guns in low light conditions. I can (maybe) see flash being an issue outdoors at night (think a camera flash going off in your eyes) so perhaps it’s not the best CC idea. HD though? I’ve got a wife and kids at home. I’m not shooting at any thing in the dark. If I don’t have the lights on, at the very least I have a flashlight on the gun. I have shot a ported gun in low light with a flashlight on and the flash is negligible in that circumstance. It will depend somewhat on your choice of ammo as well of course.

I think the biggest concern in either self defense circumstance is the danger of the gasses exiting the ports. These confrontations occur often at arms length (or closer) and therefore you have to assume you could be shooting from the hip, or in some other odd format, in which case any part of your body in close proximity to the ports is going to take damage, possibly very significant damage (think eyes?).

I guess it’s something each person has to weigh pros and cons for in their particular likely circumstances. For example, you are a 95lbs woman and you feel porting is the only way you can effectively use a gun with significant stopping power, maybe it is worth the tradeoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom