• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    For me they both provide a very different shooting experience. With my ARs I like to see how tight I can group. I spend time thinking about trigger control, breathing, etc, and I try to make each shot count. When I shoot AKs it is more about making devil's horns with one hand, yelling "get some!", and only attempting to keep the rounds on berm so that I don't kill someone two miles away. Both types of shooting are satisfying in their own right.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    If I could add some food for thought here in regards to these two platforms. They are both very good platforms for what they were designed to do and I can't take anything away from the AK or the AR. As X-Factor said, it is what you are used to more than anything, the last thing you want to do is forget how to work your rifle when everything is going to crap.

Comparing the two rifles is very hard to do as they both have their attributes and misgivings. I have seen AK's fail just the same as I have seen the AR fail. The mission would dictate what weapon as well as the country I am in. If I were in a region such as the sand box where I was doing more house to house and this was the abundant weapon and ammo then I would probably choose the AK. There is a reason operators use the host countries weapons, ammo and parts availability are some of them. The AK has a heavier round which shines when close up and having to shoot through walls, doors, cars etc. They also use them because it's harder for the enemy to tell who shot who, the 5.56 is a dead give away that it was the American guys that shot their buddies. When out on your own it is best that the enemy not know who did what, they just know that their buddy got shot.

On the flip side of the coin, the AR shines at ranges up to 500 yards and is a very capable stopper of men, in the proper hands. If I were doing mountain patrols or something where I might be engaging targets at 100+ yards then I would want the AR platform, while not as capable in CQB it will still perform this job in a more than adequate fashion. You can carry lots of ammo for it and it cleans and disassembles very quickly, with a small parts supply you can be prepared for just about any malfunction that might occur. This is also true of the AK so that would be a dead even imo.

I think both platforms are very reliable given proper maintenance, doesn't matter what it is or who makes it, they all will fail without proper maintenance. The two reasons above are the reasons I would pick one over the other but I can say that reliability wouldn't be the overwhelming factor.

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    If I could add some food for thought here in regards to these two platforms. They are both very good platforms for what they were designed to do and I can't take anything away from the AK or the AR. As X-Factor said, it is what you are used to more than anything, the last thing you want to do is forget how to work your rifle when everything is going to crap.

Comparing the two rifles is very hard to do as they both have their attributes and misgivings. I have seen AK's fail just the same as I have seen the AR fail. The mission would dictate what weapon as well as the country I am in. If I were in a region such as the sand box where I was doing more house to house and this was the abundant weapon and ammo then I would probably choose the AK. There is a reason operators use the host countries weapons, ammo and parts availability are some of them. The AK has a heavier round which shines when close up and having to shoot through walls, doors, cars etc. They also use them because it's harder for the enemy to tell who shot who, the 5.56 is a dead give away that it was the American guys that shot their buddies. When out on your own it is best that the enemy not know who did what, they just know that their buddy got shot.

On the flip side of the coin, the AR shines at ranges up to 500 yards and is a very capable stopper of men, in the proper hands. If I were doing mountain patrols or something where I might be engaging targets at 100+ yards then I would want the AR platform, while not as capable in CQB it will still perform this job in a more than adequate fashion. You can carry lots of ammo for it and it cleans and disassembles very quickly, with a small parts supply you can be prepared for just about any malfunction that might occur. This is also true of the AK so that would be a dead even imo.

I think both platforms are very reliable given proper maintenance, doesn't matter what it is or who makes it, they all will fail without proper maintenance. The two reasons above are the reasons I would pick one over the other but I can say that reliability wouldn't be the overwhelming factor.

This is what I was trying to say, but not nearly as eloquent. This pretty much sums it up. GET BOTH!

:-)

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Here we go again..........The AK is more of a machine gun, the AR/M16 is a rifle. If you are an insurgent or just happen to live in a cave without access to walmart for cleaning supplies choose an AK,or if you like 100% no matter what reliability and reasonable accuracy choose Kalashnikov. I love Soviet small arms but its just a personal preference. If you grew up shooting, starting with crappy crossman airguns the sights on the AK are about the same. So you should be able to hit a man size target at 100yards. If not you suck. If you claim you need some $500-1K optic you are either old and need an optic or really suck. Make no mistake though, the AR platform in the right hands is probably more deadly, just ask all the guys in heaven with 72 virgins.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Here we go again..........The AK is more of a machine gun, the AR/M16 is a rifle. If you are an insurgent or just happen to live in a cave without access to walmart for cleaning supplies choose an AK,or if you like 100% no matter what reliability and reasonable accuracy choose Kalashnikov. I love Soviet small arms but its just a personal preference. If you grew up shooting, starting with crappy crossman airguns the sights on the AK are about the same. So you should be able to hit a man size target at 100yards. If not you suck. If you claim you need some $500-1K optic you are either old and need an optic or really suck. Make no mistake though, the AR platform in the right hands is probably more deadly, just ask all the guys in heaven with 72 virgins.

GREAT post. :rolleyes::sad20:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Here we go again..........The AK is more of a machine gun, the AR/M16 is a rifle.

Well crap....all my AK's must not have gotten that memo, because not a single one of them is a machine gun. :rolleyes:

If you are an insurgent or just happen to live in a cave without access to walmart for cleaning supplies choose an AK,or if you like 100% no matter what reliability and reasonable accuracy choose Kalashnikov. I love Soviet small arms but its just a personal preference. If you grew up shooting, starting with crappy crossman airguns the sights on the AK are about the same. So you should be able to hit a man size target at 100yards. If not you suck. If you claim you need some $500-1K optic you are either old and need an optic or really suck. Make no mistake though, the AR platform in the right hands is probably more deadly, just ask all the guys in heaven with 72 virgins.

Inusrgents? Caves? So, what, you're saying people who use AK's are terrorists? Give Jim Zumbo a call. I hear he doesn't have many friends left these days, and birds of a feather...

As for your comment about the AR being more deadly, head on over to Afghanistan and ask all the TF373/CJSOTF guys why they opt for AK's instead of their M4's when they can get their hands on 'em.

Long story short, if you don't have any actual personal real-world experience, perhaps it's best that the next time you have a thought you want to share with everyone....maybe just keep it bottled up inside, sir.

Kthx.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For me they both provide a very different shooting experience. With my ARs I like to see how tight I can group. I spend time thinking about trigger control, breathing, etc, and I try to make each shot count. When I shoot AKs it is more about making devil's horns with one hand, yelling "get some!", and only attempting to keep the rounds on berm so that I don't kill someone two miles away. Both types of shooting are satisfying in their own right.

Pretty much the same here, With the ARs, I shoot for groups, or practice running around shooting controlled pairs, speed reloads, tactical reloads and the like, my M4gery goes with me to competitions and classes. Ammo used to cost about the same as 7.63X39, but now it has gotten out of hand, and shooting at reactive targets, the 5.56 just punches a little hole straight through, or dings a plate, it doesn't throw plastic bottles or pulverize cinder blocks anywhere near as well as the 7.62X39 out of the AK does, so mine really only shoot paper and occasionally steel.

My AK is a fun gun, basically blasting and bump firing aggainst clays, bottles or other junk on the 50yd berm, it brings a smile to everyone that shoots it. It will chew up a pile of cinderblocks pretty well, and for the <200yd distances most outdoor ranges have, it is accurate enough. It is also the most prolific firearm in the world, and has fought aggainst itself the world over, and has won every time, no collection is complete without one.

As they say, the AK is used by illiterate and unwashed conscripts in every rouge dictatorship to fight the most elite units in the world. The AR(really M16) is used by elite units the world over to kill the unwashed and illiterate conscipts of rogue dictatorships. Gotta have both.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Well crap....all my AK's must not have gotten that memo, because not a single one of them is a machine gun. :rolleyes:

Inusrgents? Caves? So, what, you're saying people who use AK's are terrorists? Give Jim Zumbo a call. I hear he doesn't have many friends left these days, and birds of a feather...

As for your comment about the AR being more deadly, head on over to Afghanistan and ask all the TF373/CJSOTF guys why they opt for AK's instead of their M4's when they can get their hands on 'em.

Long story short, if you don't have any actual personal real-world experience, perhaps it's best that the next time you have a thought you want to share with everyone....maybe just keep it bottled up inside, sir.

Kthx.

calm down.

I have Ak's and im not a terrorist,I never made any accusations I was being facetious, I know you have Ak's like the battlefield pick up you were showing off. Don't get your feelings hurt.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have had ARs for 30 years.

I have never owned an AK and only shot a half dozen or so.

I really want to get on board with the AK love. I am digging the side folding krink.....

But, the few AKs I have shot have been crap. Slapped together parts guns that will trigger slap your finger so bad after one mag that I wan't to quit early. Worse yet, they have been less reliable than my ARs. Everyone says the opposite, I know-- just personal experience.

I love how sturdy AK mags are built. I like more fpe on target, who doesn't? And, who doesn't like paying less for ammo? You would think I would have a basement full of AKs and tuna cans of commie ammo. The AK platform has a lot to love. If I ever shot an "nice" AK, I would probably be all in.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    calm down.

I have Ak's and im not a terrorist,I never made any accusations I was being facetious, I know you have Ak's like the battlefield pick up you were showing off. Don't get your feelings hurt.

battlefield pickup?

methinks you doth be confused...eth.

as for feelings being hurt, it takes a lot more than something said on a forum to accomplish such. ;)

i won't hesitate to correct misinformation, of course. :D

side note for future postings--smileys convey sarcasm far better than plain text....for those times when your co-conversant may be easier to upset than i. :)

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    battlefield pickup?

methinks you doth be confused...eth.

as for feelings being hurt, it takes a lot more than something said on a forum to accomplish such. ;)

i won't hesitate to correct misinformation, of course. :D

side note for future postings--smileys convey sarcasm far better than plain text....for those times when your co-conversant may be easier to upset than i. :)

Wasn't that your gun with the stock that had markings from one of the balkan conflicts? It had like a serbian crest and notches on it? If it wasn't yours it was someone on here who had one built as if it were a battle field pickup, I should have been more clear. Anyways it was a cool looking gun

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    7.62x39 (16 inch barrel) Energy (ft.-lb.) Muzzle/1573 50/1402 100/1247 200/975 300/765
    5.56x45 (16 inch barrel) Energy (ft.-lb.) Muzzle/1198 50/1040 100/903 200/681 300/513

7.62x39 (16 inch barrel) Velocity (fps) Muzzle/2430 50/2266 100/2137 200/1890 300/1644
    5.56x45 (16 inch barrel) Velocity (fps) Muzzle/3132 50/2919 100/2720 200/2362 300/2051

Add in the drop.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I guess there really are no reasons I haven't already considered. I was hoping I had missed something. I guess I'll get one so my friends who whant to shoot one can say they shot an AK. Honestly though I doubt I'll give it much use. It really seems to come down to taste and if you read below my post you can see why Ak's just aren't my thing.

Last edited:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I guess there really are no reasons I haven't already considered. I was hoping I had missed something. I guess I'll get one so my friends who whant to shoot one can say they shot an AK. Honestly though I doubt I'll give it much use. It really seems to come down to taste and if you reed below my post you can see why Ak's just aren't my thing.

I think you may like them alot once you get some trigger time behind one, in a CQB situation they really can't be beat.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I guess there really are no reasons I haven't already considered. I was hoping I had missed something. I guess I'll get one so my friends who whant to shoot one can say they shot an AK. Honestly though I doubt I'll give it much use. It really seems to come down to taste and if you read below my post you can see why Ak's just aren't my thing.

You could always get a 7.62x39 AR... I love mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom