• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cyndi59

Oi,swinokur..A question was asked,I conceal and open carry here in Virginia as I live here after fleeing the peoples republic of Marylanstan.Someone from Maryland came up to me while having lunch at McDonalds and asked if a person from Maryland was able to open carry in Virginia o.k. even if they hold ( No ) Va. non-resident permit or did not plan on concealing their sidearm ??Was at a lost to an answer as it was never posed before..or if anyone else would know..has not run into any Fairfax Co.LEO's been down with a cold..or find anything online.. (If I'm asked again,can at least give a answer..)

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Oi,swinokur..A question was asked,I conceal and open carry here in Virginia as I live here after fleeing the peoples republic of Marylanstan.Someone from Maryland came up to me while having lunch at McDonalds and asked if a person from Maryland was able to open carry in Virginia o.k. even if they hold ( No ) Va. non-resident permit or did not plan on concealing their sidearm ??Was at a lost to an answer as it was never posed before..or if anyone else would know..has not run into any Fairfax Co.LEO's been down with a cold..or find anything online.. (If I'm asked again,can at least give a answer..)

Anyone who is not prohibited and over the age of 18 can Open Carry in the Old Dominion, residents and non residents alike.

Didn't want to steal Swinokur's thunder but it's past his bed time. :D

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Federal law also states DC and PR are considered a state.
    Someone else had brought up "state.'. I simply mentioned that Virginia's own code specifically says it considers DC a state for the purpose of CCL recognition.
    And federal law does not consider PR a state in lots of ways. Moreover the more explicit a law is the better. the Virginia lass is explicit. It is kinda like
    FOPA. DC must honor FOPA, but it does not mean you expect DC to honor it in the same way as Arizona might. Some jurisdictions will err on the side of arresting you, but perhaps not prosecuting you.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The Create a Map has a problem with the DC and Washington State maps. If you check DC it shows a map but the DC box is no longer checked. Check the Washington State Box and both the DC and Washington box are checked. Steve Knows about this but right now is unable to repair it. Medical Problems are keeping him from using a keyboard right now. If you want to see the states that Honor DC just go to the DC Page at www.handgunlaw.us

Garry thank you.I was just pointing out the errors on both yours and usacarry. it is a very difficult taksk to have the mountain of info, 99% correct that you have. Thank you and Steve for all your work!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    FOPA only provides an affirmative defense, not protection from prosecution.

The only reason I brought up PR and DC was Title 18 SS 921 Definitions.

Attachments

• definitions.jpg
      definitions.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 74

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If states recognize Maryland CCW,why doesn't Maryland recognize theirs..knows this has been ask times and times before..you would think if Maryland snubs them why not snub Maryland as well as other states that do the same..sound so stupid..

What you are describing goes to the difference between the "recognition" system vs the "reciprocity" system.

Lots of states recognize Md's (or DC, NJ, etc) permit but MD, DC, NJ, recognize no one else's.

Also some state recognize only residents permits, and not non residents. IE a state may recognize Va CCL held by a resident, but not recognize a VA non resident permit. On top of that, some states may require you to have a non resident permit in their state, but will not issue you one unless you have a resident permit in your own state. [in the later example a DC resident who spends time in Pa but is not a resident of Pa. can get a Pa permit by showing their DC permit. But a NJ resident normally cannot get a Pa permit, since Pa is going to say "where is your NJ permit?")

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And some reciprocity is based on statute, some by formal written agreements, and as mentioned informal recognition.

This is why it's very important to check state AG web sites for the most up to date state info.

But www.handgunlaw.us is the best non state site for carry info.

USACARRY doesn't seem to keep up with the changes as quickly as Gary does,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom