• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which day of the weekend is most available for you?

• Total voters

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    AGC Action Shooting is getting ready to sit down and schedule matches for 2020. At our last 3 Gun match (normally on Saturday, but this time was on Sunday) I had several shooters comment that they liked Sunday's better for various reasons (kids soccer, work, and religious obligations). At the same time, there are guys who just cant make it on Sundays for similar reasons.

While we like to be able to say, our 3 Gun Match is always on the 2nd Saturday of the month, IDPA is the 3rd Saturday, Steel Challenge will be the XX Saturday, we are starting to run out of Saturdays on the Calendar. We may try alternating Saturday/Sunday and see which day is better attended, but in the meantime, I figured a quick MDS survey couldn't hurt.

Which day is easier for you? At this point, it doesn't matter what game you play or which weekend off the month. There may be another, more game/weekend specific survey down the road.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sunday. Reason: Orthodox Jew.

If you do them on Sundays, I will come to every single one I can, especially if I get significant notice ahead of time for dates.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Why not both? There's a couple of places that have enough competitors to run a Saturday and Sunday match. Fredericksburg and Peacemaker both do this. Especially with USPSA and 3-gun, where the stage builds require a land surveyor to build out, they set up on Saturday, run the first group through, then have a Sunday group, that takes the stage down.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Why not both? There's a couple of places that have enough competitors to run a Saturday and Sunday match. Fredericksburg and Peacemaker both do this. Especially with USPSA and 3-gun, where the stage builds require a land surveyor to build out, they set up on Saturday, run the first group through, then have a Sunday group, that takes the stage down.

I like the way you think "BIG." My brain operates in the same way and I really hope we can get to that point one day. As it stands today, we barely have enough shooters to fill 4 squads, which is why I have posted this survey. We want to try and serve as many shooters as we can and if one day is better than the other, then we will try to accommodate that in an effort to grow the program.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I want to vote both also, though not necessarily in the same weekend. What about alternating Sat one month, Sun the next? It would partially accommodate both religious considerations...they'd each get half instead of all or none.

Personally, my shooting schedule is already overbooked. I have Steel on 4th Sundays and Axis and Allies 1st Saturdays at Delta. With Monumental at AGC, our club shoot is 3rd Saturdays, Centerfire League 2nd Saturdays, and Smallbore League 3rd Sundays. That's just the recurring stuff, not including the odd once in a while shoots. I'd like to get more involved in AGC action, but with three types, surely there will be conflicts with my already busy weekend shooting schedule. Rather than having to choose between 3gun and Centerfire each and every month, it wold be nice to have different conflicts to decide about each month.

While it would not be as simple as saying "3gun is always 3rd sat...etc," once sorted out, it could be published on the AGC calendar. Then the burden would be on us to figure out what was going on when.

I know...it's crazy dreaming...but I bet I'm not the only one in a similar situation. :shrug:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I want to vote both also, though not necessarily in the same weekend. What about alternating Sat one month, Sun the next? It would partially accommodate both religious considerations...they'd each get half instead of all or none.

Personally, my shooting schedule is already overbooked. I have Steel on 4th Sundays and Axis and Allies 1st Saturdays at Delta. With Monumental at AGC, our club shoot is 3rd Saturdays, Centerfire League 2nd Saturdays, and Smallbore League 3rd Sundays. That's just the recurring stuff, not including the odd once in a while shoots. I'd like to get more involved in AGC action, but with three types, surely there will be conflicts with my already busy weekend shooting schedule. Rather than having to choose between 3gun and Centerfire each and every month, it wold be nice to have different conflicts to decide about each month.

While it would not be as simple as saying "3gun is always 3rd sat...etc," once sorted out, it could be published on the AGC calendar. Then the burden would be on us to figure out what was going on when.

I know...it's crazy dreaming...but I bet I'm not the only one in a similar situation. :shrug:

All of your comments/suggestions are understood and noted. It sounds like you understand the complexity that goes into this when you are dealing with multiple events. To see what works best, we may very well do some alternating Saturdays/Sundays; ultimately, for sanity, ease of scheduling, and consistencies sake, we will likely pick THE day(s) that work the best for the most people (and we will likely wont be perfect at that either).

Remember way back when we had three TV stations, no VCR/DVR, and only the TV guide to tell us what was on when (this was a weekly publication for you youngsters). We watched what we wanted to see when it was on. We had to sit through the commercials, and if someone called on the phone, we just didn't answer. That is kind of the stage we are at with this sort of thing. Until someone can figure out the "On Demand" of action shooting, we are stuck having to work these events into our schedules.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Whhhaaat! You mean you can't run your event only on the days that work for me?!?:tantrum:

I get it. Whatever you come up with isn't going to please everybody. I think the fact that you are asking for input is awesome :thumbsup: :party29:

I bet, once you have a set schedule, an occasional event outside of the regular schedule would be wildly popular and give an opportunity for those who can't make the regulars. And...be fun for those of us who just want another chance to shoot :gun3:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Whhhaaat!

I bet, once you have a set schedule, an occasional event outside of the regular schedule would be wildly popular and give an opportunity for those who can't make the regulars. And...be fun for those of us who just want another chance to shoot :gun3:

We can certainly do that as long as the bays aren't reserved. We will get it figured out in time.

Mar 6, 2019

I really like this idea. Especially since family obligations (relating to youth sports for me) may change throughout the year. One season may leave Saturday’s free. Another season may leave Sundays free.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I like the way you think "BIG." My brain operates in the same way and I really hope we can get to that point one day. As it stands today, we barely have enough shooters to fill 4 squads, which is why I have posted this survey. We want to try and serve as many shooters as we can and if one day is better than the other, then we will try to accommodate that in an effort to grow the program.

One of those things about running matches, especially when they're close to major population areas, is once word gets out you'll be flooded with competitors. Especially if you run good matches. In spite of the wackiness required to get to the match, Quantico's matches fill up fairly quickly. I suspect that you'll get to that point some time next year.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    One of those things about running matches, especially when they're close to major population areas, is once word gets out you'll be flooded with competitors. Especially if you run good matches. In spite of the wackiness required to get to the match, Quantico's matches fill up fairly quickly. I suspect that you'll get to that point some time next year.

This is precisely why we want to crawl before we walk/run. I have been to a few matches that got too big, too quick. The match director either wasn't ready, became lazy and/or had other obligations that kept him from staying focused. The quality suffered and as a result, attendance dropped in half. At this point, I only go there when I have nothing else to do and now that our thing is happening probably wont ever go there again.

We don't know what we don't know at the AGC and everything is a work in progress. This is all quite new to us which is why we ask for feedback and constructive criticisms regularly. It is also the reason that we will keep our match fees low/reasonable for the foreseeable future. We are just trying to make enough money to supplement what we are spending and charge a non badge holder premium in an effort to drive new 2020 membership at the AGC.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The other idea I'd throw out is shorter matches. 8-2 is a huge block of time commitment for people with kids softball or lacrosse practice, etc. I realize that they take as long as they take, and bigger matches mean more time to get everyone through. If there was a way to cut a few to 3 hrs instead of 6 and have them more frequently i think that the Sat/Sun distinction would be less relevant. Or organize "shifts" so that people who start at 8 are done by 11, then another shift where people who are there at 11 are done by 2pm.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    While matches at MPC are both days there are more open Sundays. Plus most of my matches in WV are on Saturdays so I prefer Sundays to have more matches to shoot. Especially Steel Challenge since I have 3 organizations that have theirs on Saturdays

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    While matches at MPC are both days there are more open Sundays. Plus most of my matches in WV are on Saturdays so I prefer Sundays to have more matches to shoot. Especially Steel Challenge since I have 3 organizations that have theirs on Saturdays

As we try to determine a regular weekend day for our Steel Challenge Matches, we are going to mix it up a bit and see what works best. We just added two events to the calendar for Nov and Dec

Sunday - Nov 17th
    Saturday - Dec 7th

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom