• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What's the deal with loading SKS rifles? Not the AK mag converted ones, the ones with the internal magazines? Do they have to be loaded via clips or can you load them up one round at a time? In case you're wondering, I've been reading a book where the protagonist is using an SKS and keeps dumping rounds and then loading with clips. And I'm at work, so I can't just randomly go looking at gun sites. Thanks.

Jim

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    What's the deal with loading SKS rifles? Not the AK mag converted ones, the ones with the internal magazines? Do they have to be loaded via clips or can you load them up one round at a time? In case you're wondering, I've been reading a book where the protagonist is using an SKS and keeps dumping rounds and then loading with clips. And I'm at work, so I can't just randomly go looking at gun sites. Thanks.

Jim

they can be loaded one at a time OR

10rd stripper clips.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    One or the other work. Strippers more for combat situations.

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    i prefer the stripper clips. But make sure you practice, practice, practice. You will be able to load the sks quickly enough, they do make magazines for the sks, i dont know whats involved, but they make them :)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So basically, you can top off the internal magazine with loose rounds, right? Thanks! It's nice to know inside of five minutes that I can get four answers!

Jim

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    So basically, you can top off the internal magazine with loose rounds, right? Thanks! It's nice to know inside of five minutes that I can get four answers!

Jim

You can reload the SKS with loose rounds, after the last shot has been fired and the bolt is held back...

But, you can't "top off" the internal magazine, because there's no provision to lock the bolt back manually.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You can reload the SKS with loose rounds, after the last shot has been fired and the bolt is held back...

But, you can't "top off" the internal magazine, because there's no provision to lock the bolt back manually.

That's really silly. Why would someone design it to do that? Looks like I'm scratching that off the list. Thanks!

Jim

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    You COULD hold back the bolt with one hand and top off with the other... Watch your thumbs!! Although that would be a clumsy process anywhere other than a shooting bench.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    i prefer the stripper clips. But make sure you practice, practice, practice. You will be able to load the sks quickly enough, they do make magazines for the sks, i dont know whats involved, but they make them :)

actually its not really that bad to convert to detachable mags...you just dissasemble the gun all the way to separate the wood from the receiver and pop out the old one and assemble it back together...then you have the detachable mag capability...no big deal...

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    You can top off the magazine by releasing the internal mag and loading through the bottom. It is easier to do if the rifle is inverted.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Here is a pic of someone loading one with a stripper clip just to give to a little better idea, but as all said you can load one by one if you like.

sks-stripper-clip-2.jpg

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    That's really silly. Why would someone design it to do that?

Why would someone design a military rifle with extra parts (hold open and release catch) that adds more to the build time and more to go wrong in combat? Especially when it's faster and more efficient (way more when wearing gloves) to use stripper clips.

Looks like I'm scratching that off the list. Thanks!

Jim

Why? It's not like stripper clips are hard to find or expensive or that you can't load less than ten with them or that it adds time or effort.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Why would someone design a military rifle with extra parts (hold open and release catch) that adds more to the build time and more to go wrong in combat? Especially when it's faster and more efficient (way more when wearing gloves) to use stripper clips.

I guess I'm just used to having that option. And 10 rounds is not something I want in a semi-auto.

Why? It's not like stripper clips are hard to find or expensive or that you can't load less than ten with them or that it adds time or effort.

I have about 10 stripper clips for .223. My perspective is they're flimsy and easily damaged. And they're harder to reload.

Might as well get an ak if you want that.

Exactly! Hence my "I'll be passing on this" comment.

Jim

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    That's really silly. Why would someone design it to do that? Looks like I'm scratching that off the list. Thanks!

Jim

Keep in mind how old this rifle is. When it was designed, things like detachable magazines, bolt hold opens, etc. were still largely experimental. Many of the troops who were issued these weapons were still using Mosin Nagants, and to them this was a huge upgrade. Experimental rarely makes it into front-line production weapons, which is why these things appear on later rifles after the bugs have been worked out.

If you're looking for something more modern with that kind of functionality, you're right that the SKS isn't for you. But don't call it silly.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I guess I'm just used to having that option. And 10 rounds is not something I want in a semi-auto.

Skipping the SKS for that reason is pretty silly, but to each's own. You can get 75 round drum mags for the non-converted SKS.

I have about 10 stripper clips for .223. My perspective is they're flimsy and easily damaged. And they're harder to reload.

I can load a stripper clip in an SKS faster than I can pack a magazine by hand.

Exactly! Hence my "I'll be passing on this" comment.

Jim

That's too bad, the little SKS is a solid rifle.

Mark

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    never had one work right myself

depends which mags you get i bought one 75 rd drum for the sks never got it to work right....some of the cheap ass ones dont work...the polymer ones have to be fit/sanded slightly at the magazine feed lips but they run good once they are adjusted....they also have some 20 round fixed mags...they are rare but i have seen them...this one sold but they are out there

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=202760773

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom