Effect of modifications on resale value?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    In case you're interested.........The shop you used to facilitate your purchase is one of the most highly respected dealers in MD.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    In case you're interested.........The shop you used to facilitate your purchase is one of the most highly respected dealers in MD.

Not sure how. I may be new to all this, but I still know professionalism when I see it, and when I don't. I'm obviously not out to rub dirt on their name, or I would have answered you in the thread. Have you ever visited their establishment, or spoken to them? I'm not here to argue, just reaching out for info. Again, I'm new to all this, but serious. I wasn't sure how everything worked, so I was hoping this forum would be helpful.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Not sure how. I may be new to all this, but I still know professionalism when I see it, and when I don't. I'm obviously not out to rub dirt on their name, or I would have answered you in the thread. Have you ever visited their establishment, or spoken to them? I'm not here to argue, just reaching out for info. Again, I'm new to all this, but serious. I wasn't sure how everything worked, so I was hoping this forum would be helpful.

Did they order it for you or did you order it yourself and transfer through them?

Either way I don't think I've ever bought a firearm at a store where they didn't take it out of the box and give it to me to look over and they also double and triple check the serial number. If you had no objections and they did the transfer or completed the sale, at that point it becomes a used gun. Sort of like buying a new car and bringing it back to trade in the next day, you'll take a beating.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    Did they order it for you or did you order it yourself and transfer through them?

Either way I don't think I've ever bought a firearm at a store where they didn't take it out of the box and give it to me to look over and they also double and triple check the serial number. If you had no objections and they did the transfer or completed the sale, at that point it becomes a used gun. Sort of like buying a new car and bringing it back to trade in the next day, you'll take a beating.

It was supposedly already on order, for store stock. The store showed me the pic, and said it was FDE, as well as it saying it on the receipt. I showed up on the day it arrived, nobody working there checked anything in my presence. I was in and out. I noticed the color being "off", but thought it was just LWRC's version of FDE. The store acted like that's all they could get totally FDE, so I took it. I understand owning it after leaving the store, it is mine. They know what I paid for it, but still couldn't give me a trade in price, that seemed odd to me.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It was supposedly already on order, for store stock. The store showed me the pic, and said it was FDE, as well as it saying it on the receipt. I showed up on the day it arrived, nobody working there checked anything in my presence. I was in and out. I noticed the color being "off", but thought it was just LWRC's version of FDE. The store acted like that's all they could get totally FDE, so I took it. I understand owning it after leaving the store, it is mine. They know what I paid for it, but still couldn't give me a trade in price, that seemed odd to me.

They were probably embarrassed to tell you what they would be willing to give you for it.
    Live and learn. Go out and shoot the hell out of it, you'll forget all about the color issue in time!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

I consider all new guns that have been passed around the rack, had things attached to them etc. used.
    If its something relatively common, I want to see a few different examples of the same model if they are available and choose the one I like best.

However,I never bought a gun because of the color and no matter what I always look at the thing carefully before walking out. If I order it and its wrong, they can look at the serial number all they want, it just better be able to turn into what i ordered before I walk out. The dead cat is at your doorstep then.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    They were probably embarrassed to tell you what they would be willing to give you for it.
    Live and learn. Go out and shoot the hell out of it, you'll forget all about the color issue in time!

Will do! And lesson learned! It's still an awesome rifle despite the color. Thanks for everyones comments, good and bad.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    I consider all new guns that have been passed around the rack, had things attached to them etc. used.
    If its something relatively common, I want to see a few different examples of the same model if they are available and choose the one I like best.

However,I never bought a gun because of the color and no matter what I always look at the thing carefully before walking out. If I order it and its wrong, they can look at the serial number all they want, it just better be able to turn into what i ordered before I walk out. The dead cat is at your doorstep then.

Yep. That cat is mine, ha. It's ok, though. I'm one of those whackos that need multiple colors, I'm a fan of all of them! Already have black, so my next logical step was going FDE, then maybe olive green. On and on ect ect. I guess it's a sickness?

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Stick around. Mistakes happen. You can learn a lot on this forum. I have for sure. And if you do stick around, you’ll understand in time some of the “bad” responses you’ve gotten. Not everyone that comes here has good intentions.

You got a nice rifle regardless of the color. If you were happy with the price, which I’m sure you were because you bought it, than forget about the color and enjoy it.

If you feel like you’ve been wronged, there’s plenty of other gun shops around. But don’t let that experience effect your interest in shooting, or that particular gun.

Owning up to it says something for you as far as I’m concerned, regardless of who the fault lies with. And if you haven’t done it yet, introduce yourself in the introductions section. That’ll help you along in your stay here as well.

Anyone that knows care to say what gun shop this was?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    All understood, and I will own up to it. Yes the rifle was sold sight un seen. It was supposed to be FDE, but wound up being "coyote tan". The fella at the store showed me a pic online on a very small laptop saying it was FDE. At the glance I took, it appeared to be FDE to me. Plus, my receipt says FDE. I couldn't tell by the pic online, especially since it wasn't next to another FDE to compare.
    I reached out to the manufacture to see if that was their idea of FDE, they said no! They have/sell FDE, and the CT was a limited shade. So, I was a bit upset, and attempted to exchange. I'm fairly new to everything, and never had to return/exchange anything, ever. Wasn't sure how it worked. But, I totally understand the stores stance. Lesson learned. Thanks everyone.

FDE varies from manufacturer to manufacture. I do not think I would be able to tell FDE from "coyote tan" if my life depended on it, I bet no one else will notice either unless you mention it.

Seriously, I give you permission to shoot a Coyote-Tan-not-FDE rifle. Tell people Coyote Tan bullets hit harder or some shit.

Also, If you are deeply persuasive and really try, you may be able to get them to put up some $$ to cerakote it a different color or something. you are Fonzy, just gem an ayyyyyyy.

Q0kiM.jpg

Ehhh I’ll give you the BOTD on this one. You bought it from online pics and the gun wasn’t as described. That’s not fair to you!

yeah, but it as in the box when Fonzy picked it up, he could have checked before doing the 4473. C'mon, when was the last time you picked up a gun without fondling it just a little?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yep. That cat is mine, ha. It's ok, though. I'm one of those whackos that need multiple colors, I'm a fan of all of them! Already have black, so my next logical step was going FDE, then maybe olive green. On and on ect ect. I guess it's a sickness?

You’ll do well here

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    No BOTD from me. I can understand buying a gun without seeing it but once the gun arrives and you go pick it up and walk out the door the gun belongs to you, case closed. Forget about checking functionality, but to not even open the box to make sure there's a gun in there ? And to be sure the receipt matches the gun ? Things like caliber, color, serial #, you know, all those pesky little "details". That's just plain stupid ! It's not like we're talking about snatching a boxed toaster off the shelf at Target.

You are being a bit harsh. The guy is new to buying firearms. He is looking to learn on the forum, not to be hastily judged by you. Cut him some slack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom