• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I know I know, here I am still zeroing my AR 10 and already I'm asking about another rifle. Work with me, please. I have a sickness, and am seeking counseling.

Is there a resource for an M1 Garand in 308? I'm not looking for a m14, I'm looking for a rifle with a en bank clip. I would consider both newly manufactured and vintage, with a slight edge given to new manufacture. All the M1 Garands I have seen were chambered in 30-06. Trying not to add another caliber to my reloading bench, although it's not out of the question.

Another question: Is there a CMP qualified range in central MD with open membership?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I’m no expert, but CMP used to sell the .308 Garands. There are plenty around if you’re looking. I assume they use the clip. Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly, but I think they were Navy issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have a M1 in .308 but I built it myself. I took a M1 I purchased from FW Woolworth in the 1980s for something like $179.95 and rebuilt it to match specs with a 6-groove heavy match .308 barrel I got from Brownells. Besides the barrel, the only other part I remember being .308 specific was the magazine block so .30-06 cartridges couldn't accidentally be loaded. Installing match parts and a laminated stock and I have maybe the most accurate semi-auto rifle I own...even more accurate than some bolt guns I have chambered for the .308. And yes...it does use standard M1 clips without issue.

M1_Garand.jpg

BTW...Springfield Armory (not the government entity...the current company)...made .308 M1 rifles in the 1980s. There must be some of those floating around for sale.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Keep an eye on the CMP sales page they may go back on sale.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

RM1308SPECIAL
    CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Receiver may have pitting. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber. SOLD OUT
    November 28, 2017

They also sell new .308 Garand Barrels
    https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/065CRI/308

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    CMP was selling these not long ago. Never had a chance to handle one but function the same with the exception of a block forward in the mag well.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    CMP was selling these not long ago. Never had a chance to handle one but function the same with the exception of a block forward in the mag well.
    I kicked myself for not buying one of those when I was a member of a CMP club. I'm not a Garand fanboy by any means, but they're neat rifles.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Work with me, please. I have a sickness, and am seeking counseling.

Another question: Is there a CMP qualified range in central MD with open membership?

Hah! You think you have a sickness now??? Wait until you get a CMP Garand delivered to your door...they're like Pringles...you can't stop at just one.

Personally, I like the idea of having the old war horse chambered in her original caliber...but .308 works just fine too.

Are you a member of an Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore? Not only are their facilities great, but joining one of their clubs qualifies for the CMP requirement...just check with the club you sign up for to make sure THAT one does.

https://associatedgunclubs.org/about/ranges-and-facilities/

Nothing like PINGGGG!!!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    A bunch of years ago, a good friend bought a "Blue Sky" (repatriated) M1 Garand.

The barrel was complete trash.
    The stock was in fair condition.
    The action was good, as well the other parts.

Mr. Charles Maloney converted this M1 Garand into one of the finest .308 M1 Garand(s) that I've ever seen or shot.

5/8" groups at 100 yards are the norm.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A bunch of years ago, a good friend bought a "Blue Sky" (repatriated) M1 Garand.

The barrel was complete trash.
    The stock was in fair condition.
    The action was good, as well the other parts.

Mr. Charles Maloney converted this M1 Garand into one of the finest .308 M1 Garand(s) that I've ever seen or shot.

5/8" groups at 100 yards are the norm.

Zackly! My Blue Sky Woolworth match .308 M1 shoots cloverleafs and I don't consider myself that good a rifle shooter. I'm sure many a Blue Sky (or from some other importer) was the basis of many a fine rifle.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    are the .308 garands all 30-06s that have been converted or are some manufactured that way from the beginning?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There were at least some converted for use. When the military adopted the 7.62x51 as the standard cartridge in the late 1950s, the Navy had many M1 rifles in inventory and didn't want to spend the money to buy M14 rifles (outside of the Marine Corps). There was a 7.62 insert designed that would change the rifle into 7.62 only but it was found after shooting them the insert would eventually eject with a round. Some Garands were converted with new 7.62 barrels and a magazine well spacer...don't know if any were actually manufactured that way. I don't know what happened to those rifles...I believe they were marked "7.62" on the side of the receiver. Some may be in private hands but others could be in Navy storage depots or Anniston Arsenal waiting for either destruction or sale depending on the political winds.

Orlando

7.62x51 Garands were Navy rifles, as already stated the first were 30.06 barrels with a insert then dedicated chamber barrels were used.
    Heres a pic of my Navy Garand its my very favorite shooter

You can build your own on a existing Garand, simply remove the barrel and have a 308 barrel installed. All other parts are the same

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I'm sure if you are patient you might find the CMP selling .308's again. They just receiving 88,000 returned Garands from the Philippines. I am sure that some of those will be good candidates for a .308 conversion by the CMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom